Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....To make room for (Omar) Cook on the roster and because of a stipulation that says a player on a 10-day contract must replace an injured player, the Blazers placed rookie forward Travis Outlaw on the injured list before Wednesday's game with tendinitis in both knees.
Never been able to figure this out. :confused:

Why the charades with all of the made up or mysterious injuries, etc.? The League and players association just need to call a spade a spade and develop some type of legitimate platoon reserve system.

I don't mind a player having to spend x amount of time on the list, just spare us the line about tendinitis, et al. :rolleyes:

As it is, it's just plain ludicrous. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
This explains why Gill was signed..

We have to have 12 active players. To sign Cook we had to put Outlaw on the IR since a 10 day contract player has to be taking the place of a guy who went on the IR.

With Outlaw on the IR and Cook in his place, that still leaves us with only 11 active players.

We had already used up our grace period to fill out our active roster, and would get in trouble with the league if we didnt have 12 active players.

That forced us to scramble and sign Gill. I bet he squeezed a multi year, semi-guaranteed contract out of us beacuse he knew the league would fine us if we didnt have 12 active players.

·
Registered
519 Posts
OR there is something going on thats why GILL got a muli-deal..hhmm....the trading deadline hasn't passed yet so anything could happen

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I never personally understood why they don't just have it as "Inactive List" instead of having to use the word "Injured." There must be some technicality somewhere dealing with it, because I can't think of any big reason why it is as it is.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
What? WHAT??? You mean a team would stoop so low as to place a player on the IR who isn't really injured?

Oh! Thanks ABM. You just shattered my belief that pro sports can do no wrong. Oh, the shame of it all....

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
I never personally understood why they don't just have it as "Inactive List" instead of having to use the word "Injured." There must be some technicality somewhere dealing with it, because I can't think of any big reason why it is as it is.
I think there is something called an inactive list already. When Baker when on his binge, wasn't he put in the inactive list, not the injuried list?

-Petey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts