Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard rumors to get rid of Raef LaFrentz. WHY??? I know he has only one year left if I beleive on his contract. Raef is an amazing player. He will only get better. I know in the West you need a very big man since you have Shaq in LA, Pollard/Divic in Sac town, The twin towers, soon to be the Yao Ming show. Raef has the advantage of them, take them out of the home, "The lane". He can shoot the three. However, he does need to go to a team that could use him as a PF not a C. However, Dallas has the Luxuery to have two of the best PF/C in the game. Raef and Dirk. Just think of the marketing follies they can use Dirk and Raef in.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
One can't ever tell what Cuban will do and rumors are only rumors until Cuban does something. For all we know Raef will stay in Dallas, he is far better than Bradley ever thought of becoming.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think I have said this before, but with the style of play the Mavs employ, a real big guy would hamper them. LaFrenyz is big enough yet agile enough to run the floor in the run and gun-type games

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personally I like Raef's game and think he would be much more effective as a PF. The only problem I have with him is that he has almost no low post game. He is only 25 so he's still young enough to learn. I think he would get much more open looks if players had to respect his low post game.

As for being traded ... it is a possability however I don't think it's going to be for Zo, Dale Davis, or Mutombo. I have a feeling that if he's traded for anyone it will be for a young big man like Olowakandi.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As much as I hate the guy, I think the Mavs would do very well to get a slick passing, smart high post center like Vlade Divac to help get their jump shooters open. LaFrentz is a good player, but I think he gets a little overwelmed with the run and gun Mavs offense. Certainly in Denver, that was not the prefered style of play. I do, however, think that with time and more seasoning, LaFrentz can be the center that the Mavs need.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by RunninRaven
As much as I hate the guy, I think the Mavs would do very well to get a slick passing, smart high post center like Vlade Divac to help get their jump shooters open. LaFrentz is a good player, but I think he gets a little overwelmed with the run and gun Mavs offense. Certainly in Denver, that was not the prefered style of play. I do, however, think that with time and more seasoning, LaFrentz can be the center that the Mavs need.
I agree. A player like Vlade would definately help the Mavs. I also think (and have said) that Raef can become a younger version of Vlade (with more range) with a little work. He's only 25 so he has time to work on his passing and low post moves.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew Raef in college. He graduated two years before me. I think he is one of the best up and coming players in NBA. I think Mavs would be benefit with having Raef. He can take some of the traditional centers out of their comfort zone since he is built more of a PF player. In the Mavs schemes, Dirk and Raef can be interchangable. One can guard the other team center and vice versa.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Originally posted by RunninRaven
Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more I see Vlade doing very well in Dallas.
But after the way he played Shaq (quite well at times) and his strong showing, would the Kings be willing to let him go, especially with their budding championship contender status?

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Shaqs big toe

Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more I see Vlade doing very well in Dallas.
But after the way he played Shaq (quite well at times) and his strong showing, would the Kings be willing to let him go, especially with their budding championship contender status?
I seriously doubt he would leave sac town.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Originally posted by kansasalumn

I seriously doubt he would leave sac town.
yeah I know. he knows he's on a winner there. Why spoil it, especially at his age?

·
Registered
49 Posts
No way Vlade would ever come to Dallas. He's on a better team (right now), and fits in very very well with the Kings. Besides if he came to Dallas he would then be competing against the Kings. No way do the Maloof brothers want that.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I can't see the Maloof brothers trading Vlade either. As for Raef, I would like to see some toughness in the post from him on offense as well as defense.

I think it is still up in the air as to whether Raef stays in Dallas or is traded for someone like the courageous Alonzo Mourning (who has the courage it takes to stay in there against Shaq).

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I think Dallas will never be able to beat the Lakers as long as Shaq and Kobe are attached.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by Penny Hardaway
I think Dallas will never be able to beat the Lakers as long as Shaq and Kobe are attached.
I agree with the Shaq part but not Kobe. As long as Shaq is with the Lakers the Mavs will struggle to beat them.

As for Kobe, the Mavs have players that can at least match up with him. You can't completely stop Kobe but the Mavs have been able to contain him.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Isiah Thomas was interviewed on some program on espn yesterday. He was asked what it would take to beat Shaq and he said, *courage*. I agree wholeheartedly.

A team can change their roster all they want, but if they don't get guys who have *courage*, they won't beat Shaq.

·
Jeepers
6,391 Posts
Just having fun with an old thread. :grinning:

Things were slow... :rolleyes:

·
Jeepers
6,391 Posts
Pain5155 said:
not funny. i was like wtf when i read shaq and kobe together, then i saw the date.
I forgot about you guys outside of our universe...sorry about that. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Who's Raef Lafrentz...

Just kidding, one of the only Iowans in the game. I've noticed the good players who were born in Iowa always go to Kansas University. That was some serious bumpage though

1 - 20 of 27 Posts