Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ingredients for a successful season are 1) a POY candidate, 2) players improving year over year, 3) good coaching and 4) programs that win year over year. For these reason the top three in the A10 next year will be in no particular order SBU, SLU and UD.

I can hear it now ... but, but Obi Toppin ... how can you say this ... blah, blah, blah

Why SBU you ask? Osun Osunniyi is a game changer. Lofton, Welch, English and Winston have high ceilings and its logical that they will improve year over year. Schmidt is the most “under appreciated” HC in the country that “does more with less” - seriously he has won his share of games over the past 5 years.

How can Dayton be included post Obi Toppin? Well for one, Obi was the reason that the Flyers were number three in the country and not just a very good A10 team. Two, most of the Faithful expect Jalen Crutcher to return and he was the second best player in the league last year. Three, UD has three fifth year seniors coming back in Chatman, Watson and Tshimanga that logged significant minutes. All three have room to get better especially Watson (entered his name in the draft) and Chatman. Junior, Duane Cohill a former 4 star recruit has the opportunity to take his game to the next level after closing out the season strong. Even though Grant continues to struggle at almost every aspect of his job, I believe that he has the best career winning percentage of all A10 coaches. Not to mention that UD’s track record over the last seven years has been the best in the A10. I didnt include transfers or red shirt players because I am lazy and didn’t care to research this, but Zimife Nwokeji and Moulayle Sissoko are red shirt freshmen that will see plenty of PT after practicing against Obi last year. Nwokeji is a former Florida State commit that will be a very good player in the A10.

Why SLU? Goodwin and French are good, but I see Perkins as the difference maker. I dont know how much higher the ceiling is for Perkins, but he gets better SLU might win the A10 despite Travis Ford. Yuri Collins and Bell will get better, and Thatch (?) and Jimerson coming back means that SLU should be better year over year. Travis Ford is still the HC at SLU but he will have a very talented team next year.

Why not Richmond? They return 5 starters but will they get better? How much have these five seniors won over the past 3 and 4 years? I called it right last year when the prognosticators had Davidson winning the NBA Championship. They returned two POY players but year over year other teams had room to get better and DC didn’t. UR will be very good and wouldn’t be a surprise if they win the damn conference. Mooney is the HC.

Why not DUQ? Dambrot has good players and maybe even a practice squad, but a culture of winning big games needs to be nurtured. I have been a Flyer fan for 50 years ... I understand all too well how hard this is to accomplish.

VCU is my sleeper team. The program knows how to win and recruits at a high level. They will have talent on the roster. Rhoads is a wildcard.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Which ones?
NCAA-wise? I’d say SBU, UD, SLU, UR, DU, DC, and a surprise/wildcard. VCU, UMass, and URI, depending on some things shaking their way, have some reason for postseason optimism. Obviously, two or three of the aforementioned teams will disappoint.

I’m just thinking the top half can all have somewhat reasonable summer dreams.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed across the board. I do think six or seven programs can have fairly high expectations in 2020-2021, though. There should be a good number of opportunities during league play.
So does this mean that you agree with Grant struggling with all aspects of his job? Because I was being a dick when I typed this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts