Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain this point to me??

He finished his NBA career totalling 26,534 points, which is 8th all time in NBA regular season scoring. The knock on him was that he was a selfish player who shot too much. But, the reason why he finished his NBA career only averaging 2 assists was that he was the only scoring option for the Hawks.

Who could he pass to, Doc Rivers, Tree Rollins, Cliff Levingston, Spud Webb, etc. The Hawks needed finishers and players that could get the job done offensively, for them to win games.

He was a champion and deserves more respect then he got from the "experts" who voted for the top 50 players of all time. He did all he could to lead the Hawks to numerous playoff contests and epic battles with Larry Bird.The Hawks did alot of winning, with the seemingly feable playing roster that they had, in those days.

When the top 50 players of all time was announced Jordan, Magic and Bird alll came to Wilkins defense and said that they knew that he deserved to be in that elite group of players.They all expressed shock and amazement, that he was left off that list.

He also ended his NBA career shooting in excess of 46% from the field. Not bad for a pure scorer. I mean, when your number one player and option is putting up that many shots, at least he is shooting at a good percentage.Which is more than we can say for some current players.

To quote Wilkins, "Some of the players that were voted top 50 could not even hold my Jock,"

This quote seems to sum up the whole situation. He was robbed. He did all he could for the Hawks and what do they do, trade their best player of all time??

He was a scorer and the Hawks needed him to score otherwise the team could not win. He was the number #1 option and the team needed him to put the ball in the hole, otherwise they could not win.He filled his role and performed night in and night out.

So can anyone explain why he was not voted Top 50?? I really think that the "chumps" who voted for these guys need to revise the list, because this guy was robbed. He was a superstar small forward who helped build the Hawks to respectability and played his guts out every night. So who agrees that he was robbed??

What basis, was the Top 50 players of all time, voted on?? Was it based on championships, playing on winning teams, etc etc. Did they even take into account particular players roles on teams, in making up this list??

I know that there are always going to be controversial selections and admissions, on lists like this, but in my opinion, it was a blatant omission.

My opinion, was that Wilkins reputation as a gunner, was what counted against him, being one of the Top 50 players of all time. But once again, how many other players could score more than 26,000 points, in the best league in the world.

Wilkins led the Hawks all he could and as far as he could. Unfortunately, when you are surrounded by role players and an average supporting cast, you can only go so far......

Here is the complete list of the Top 50 NBA players voted in 1996.

1 Abdul-Jabbar Kareem
2 Archibald Nate
3 Arizin Paul
4 Barkley Charles
5 Barry Rick
6 Baylor Elgin
7 Bing Dave
8 Bird Larry
9 Chamberlain Wilt
10 Cousy Bob
11 Cowens Dave
12 Cunningham Billy
13 DeBusschere Dave
14 Drexler Clyde
15 Erving Julius
16 Ewing Patrick
17 Frazier Walt
18 Gervin George
19 Greer Hal
20 Havlicek John
21 Hayes Elvin
22 Johnson Magic
23 Jones Sam
24 Jordan Michael
25 Lucas Jerry
26 Malone Karl
27 Malone Moses
28 Maravich Pete
29 McHale Kevin
30 Mikan George
31 Monroe Earl
32 Olajuwon Hakeem
33 O'Neal Shaquille
34 Parish Robert
35 Pettit Bob
36 Pippen Scottie
37 Reed Willis
38 Robertson Oscar
39 Robinson David
40 Russell Bill
41 Schayes Dolph
42 Sharman Bill
43 Stockton John
44 Thomas Isiah
45 Thurmond Nate
46 Unseld Wes
47 Walton Bill
48 West Jerry
49 Wilkens Lenny
50 Worthy James

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, Nique deserves it just as much as anyone in the lower section.

By lower section, I mean aside from like the Top 10 on everyone's list (Jordan, Bird, Magic, Wilt, etc.).

I think he deserves it more than Ewing.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
How about taking one of these guys out:

Paul Arizin, or Hal Greer, Dave Bing, or DeBusschere Dave ? Gervin (their numbers are about equal) wasn't any more of a passer than 'Nique - either.

I agree with <b>Bird, Magic, and Jordan</b> when it comes to this glaring omission.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Definately. Wilkins got the shaft in 1996, but that was then and this is now. And now he is getting the shaft by Hawks management. They had an opening for a freaking assistant coach position and the 2 options were Nique and some head scout, and they chose the head scout. The Hawks don't even have Nique in their media guide. Dominique Wilkins is like the Rodney Dangerfield of the NBA, NO RESPECT.

Also kingofkings you aren't giving the old Hawks enough credit. They went to the ECF or got VERY close to it a bunch of time, would've made the Finals if it wasn't for Detroit. With Nique they had a great front court with Nique/Willis/Malone.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HAWK23</b>!
although I HATE to say it, maybe Wilkins OVER Pippen?
I've always felt that Pippen should not have ever made this list... I don't think you can overlook Nique for Pippen... Nique did a hell of lot more for the game than Pippen ever did...

·
Registered
513 Posts
I definitely agree that Nique should have been on the list. In the 80s he was one of the main reasons I started watching ball. But I don't think there's any way that you can leave Pippen off of the list. Don't get confused by the fact that he sucks now. In his prime, he was a guy who could do everything for 6 championships teams. He was consistently one of the best defenders in the league, probably the best open court player in the league, basically ran the Bulls offence as kind of a point forward, and was a great second option scoring to only the best player of all time.
If you are going to take guys off for Nique may I suggest people like Wilkens, Cunningham, Bing or Walton.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Obvious Selections over Wilkins (in my opinion):

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Nate Archibald
Charles Barkley
Rick Barry
Elgin Baylor
Larry Bird
Wilt Chamberlain
Bob Cousy
Dave Cowens
Julius Erving
Patrick Ewing
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Jerry Lucas
Karl Malone
Moses Malone
George Mikan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shaquille O'Neal
Robert Parish
Bob Pettit
Willis Reed
Oscar Robertson
David Robinson
Bill Russell
Dolph Schayes
John Stockton
Isiah Thomas
Nate Thurmond
Wes Unseld
Bill Walton
Jerry West
James Worthy

Questionable Selections over Wilkins (in my opinion):

Paul Arizin
Dave Bing
Billy Cunningham
Dave DeBusschere
Clyde Drexler
Walt Frazier
George Gervin
John Havlicek
Elvin Hayes
Pete Maravich
Kevin McHale
Earl Monroe
Scottie Pippen

Highly Questionable Selections over Wilkins (in my opinion):

Hal Greer
Sam Jones
Bill Sharman
Lenny Wilkens

What I would have done is take out two of my highly questionable selections and inserted Dominique Wilkins and Reggie Miller, but that's just me.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
thats insane!!!

Originally posted by <b>HAWK23</b>!
although I HATE to say it, maybe Wilkins OVER Pippen?
there is no way wilkins was better than pip

i'm not disputing Wilkins talent or him impact on 80's sportcenter highlights

but there is a reason pip is there and Dominique isn't

willingness to use his talent to simply win games

playing one side of the floor no matter how good you are at it shouldn't be enough and it isn't

wilkins had talent on his team more than enough to have more of an impact than he did in the playoffs but when it came down to it when did 'nique ever grab a key rebound make that defensive stop score that bucket or simply pass the ball to his numerous competent players (in his time he had Moses malone reggie theus doc rivers kevin willis all of whom were all-stars at some point and most at the same time if not all of them ) that would really say he earned his way on the top 50 ?

dominique wilikns had the supporting cast if he supplied the heorics people expected of him he may have made the list

pippen on the other hand was the best defensive small forward of his time threw in 20 a game and ran the best best off. of his era

other than score what were wilikins accomplishments?

thats why he and and players like bob macadoo (led the nba in scoring twice) dont make the cut but players like pippen and worthy did

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Questionable - John Havlicek?
You really don't know about this 6th man who scored
more than <b>20 PPG,
more than 20,000 points,
more than 8000 rebounds,
more than 6000 assists, </b>

won 8 championships and losing NONE,

was the MVP of the finals in 1974 and
was cheated out of it the first year it was given in 1969,

was all defensive team 8 times,
was an all star 13 times,
was all NBA 11 times
still holds the finals game records for most points in OT and the most STEALS.

<b>QUESTIONABLE????? I don't think so. </b>:)

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Scottie Pippen is the only player in nba history to have over 18000 pts, 7000 boards, 5000 assists, and 2000 steals. There's a reason y people call him one of the greatest all round players of all time. Add the 6 rings, all nba selections and the defensive selections, u easily have a top 50 player right there. Anybody who disagrees either listens a lot to the sportwriters(wilbon, wiley, korheiser etc) who can't get off MJ's *******, or just hates Scottie.

Keep it clean. -Petey

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The NBA game has changed greatly over the past 50 years. I don't think that anyone here is of age to have watched Arizin, Jones, etc. during their prime. Heck, their are probably few here who watched Magic in his prime. Numbers aren't everything. Take a look at baseball for example. When Babe first broke the season home run record, it was at 29! 29 home runs, I think that what Barry Bonds does in two months.

Personnally, I don't think that Nique should've been top 50. Hall-of-famer, yes, but not top 50. I think that Bob McAdoo should've been in instead. You could make a case for Alex English also. Had Bernard King not have had the knee problems, he would've been listed as well.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!
Questionable - John Havlicek?
You really don't know about this 6th man who scored
more than <b>20 PPG,
more than 20,000 points,
more than 8000 rebounds,
more than 6000 assists, </b>

won 8 championships and losing NONE,

was the MVP of the finals in 1974 and
was cheated out of it the first year it was given in 1969,

was all defensive team 8 times,
was an all star 13 times,
was all NBA 11 times
still holds the finals game records for most points in OT and the most STEALS.

<b>QUESTIONABLE????? I don't think so. </b>:)
Ugh, I'm NOT saying Havlicek was a questionable selection PERIOD. I'm saying that the fact that Havlicek was chosen and Wilkins wasn't WAS questionable.

When a great player like Havlicek is chosen, and another great like Wilkins ISN'T chosen, that's questionable. That's all I meant to say. Believe me, I have nothing but respect for John Havlicek.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Worthy over Wilkins is definitely questionable. Look at the career averages...

Wilkins: 24.8 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists.
Worthy: 17.6 points, 5.1 rebounds, 3.0 assists.

Career numbers

Wilkins: 1074 games, 26,668 points, 7169 rebounds, 2,677 assists, 1378 steals, 642 blocks, 46.1 FG %, 81.1 FT%.

7 time all NBA
9 time all-star

Worthy: 926 games, 16,320 points, 4,707 rebounds, 2791 assists, 1041 steals, 624 blocks, 52.1 FG%, 76.9 FT%.

2 time all NBA
7 time all-star

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Worthy = key component on a Lakers squad that won several (3 or 4) championships. Champsionships are a key component of being named to that all 50, take a look of all the Celtic greats listed. It's arguable, but I surmise that a Worthy in-his-prime would have put up the same numbers as Wilkins. I do have to admit though... Magic to Nique would've made Showtime even more fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rings don't make a player, had Nique played with Magic he's sure to have more than a couple. And had Worthy been in Nique's spot he's sure to have none.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
#s alone dont do it

Worthy was a better all around player than nique

he was more willing to play a role than wilkins

and when it counted Worthy stepped up (they did call him Big Game James)

when did Wilkins ever step up and become the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs?

he never did and thats why he in the scheme of things is not better than Worthy

because what good is a great player if he's not great when you need him to be?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts