Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain this point to me?? He finished his NBA career totalling 26,534 points, which is 8th all time in NBA regular season scoring. The knock on him was that he was a selfish player who shot too much. But, the reason why he finished his NBA career only averaging 2 assists was that he was the only scoring option for the Hawks. Who could he pass to, Doc Rivers, Tree Rollins, Cliff Levingston, Spud Webb, etc. He was a champion and deserves more respect then he got from the "experts" who voted for the top 50 players of all time. He did all he could to lead the Hawks to numerous playoff contests and epic battles with Larry Bird.

When the top 50 players of all time was announced Jordan, Magic and Bird alll came to Wilkins's defense and said that they knew that he deserved to be in that elite group of players.

To quote Wilkins, "Some of the players that were voted top 50 could not even hold my Jock,"

This quote seems to sum up the whole situation. He was robbed. he did all he could for the Hawks and what do they do, trade their best player of all time??

He was a scorer and the Hawks needed him to score otherwise the team could not win. He was the number #1 option and the team needed him to put the ball in the hole, otherwise they could not win.

So can anyone explain why he was not voted Top 50?? I really think that the "chumps" who voted for these guys need to revise the list, because this guy was robbed. He was a superstar small forward who helped build the Hawks to respectability and played his guts out every night. So who agrees that he was robbed??

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
He was just about as much of a one dimensional player as you can get

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I agree with your opinion and that of Bird, Jordan, Magic, etc.

The next time they make that list, maybe they'll leave off a Paul Arizin and put Dominique on the list.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tenkev</b>!
He was just about as much of a one dimensional player as you can get
I think there are a few of those "one-dimensional" players on the top 50 players of all time, they just didn't score as much or get even the same rebounds as 'Nique got.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the list!!!

Top 50 Last Name First Name

1 Abdul-Jabbar Kareem
2 Archibald Nate
3 Arizin Paul
4 Barkley Charles
5 Barry Rick
6 Baylor Elgin
7 Bing Dave
8 Bird Larry
9 Chamberlain Wilt
10 Cousy Bob
11 Cowens Dave
12 Cunningham Billy
13 DeBusschere Dave
14 Drexler Clyde
15 Erving Julius
16 Ewing Patrick
17 Frazier Walt
18 Gervin George
19 Greer Hal
20 Havlicek John
21 Hayes Elvin
22 Johnson Magic
23 Jones Sam
24 Jordan Michael
25 Lucas Jerry
26 Malone Karl
27 Malone Moses
28 Maravich Pete
29 McHale Kevin
30 Mikan George
31 Monroe Earl
32 Olajuwon Hakeem
33 O'Neal Shaquille
34 Parish Robert
35 Pettit Bob
36 Pippen Scottie
37 Reed Willis
38 Robertson Oscar
39 Robinson David
40 Russell Bill
41 Schayes Dolph
42 Sharman Bill
43 Stockton John
44 Thomas Isiah
45 Thurmond Nate
46 Unseld Wes
47 Walton Bill
48 West Jerry
49 Wilkens Lenny
50 Worthy James

Surely you can fit Wilkens in here somewhere. He improved the Hawks teams and made them a contender, year in and year out. He scored when he had to, which was all the time!!!. What, so that is a bad thing now??? Everyone wants to kill him because he was a scorer. Actually when you shoot 46% - 48%% for your career, then I would like you to keep shooting. Come on haters try and prove me wrong!!!!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: Here is the list!!!

3 Arizin Paul
7 Bing Dave
11 Cowens Dave
13 DeBusschere Dave
16 Ewing Patrick
36 Pippen Scottie
42 Sharman Bill
45 Thurmond Nate

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
I didn't know he wasn't voted on there.

And to think Scottie Pippen was. :confused:
woah, woah... are you saying that Pippen didn't deserve it?

Pippen was the best defender, and in my opinion, the best all-around player in the league when he played.

Want to guess the win-dropoff the year after Jordan retired, and Pippen picked up the slack? And we're talking about the retirement of the greatest offensive player of all time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just get rid of all those old white guys from the 1950's. I mean come on Paul Arazin?? George Mikan??. Those guy's would be like Pat Garrity and Eric Montross if they played today.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
BILL WALTON?

He didn't do enough to be on that list. He has some friends in high places. Nique did that one thing as good as anyone..Top 5 even in history. He was robbed because of ...i don't know. He wasn't popular with the voters i guess. They lost sight of his numbers and labeled him as strictly a dunker. Robbery it was.. Robbery.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
no way in hell nique was better then pippen...

Pippen was the best SF of his era.

Nique did have a big effect on the game, as you can see by the amount of players now who try to emulate his "Shoot alot, and score alot, make a few nice looking dunks on a bad team while ignoring defence"

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
I still don't understand why people think Scottie ain't top 50. During his days, he was the best SF in the league and the best all round player as well. Made 4 consicutive all NBA First Teams(2 WITHOUT MJ) and a lot of 2nd teams. Obviously he is the greatest wing defender to ever play the game. Has 10 All Defensive Team Selections(leads the NBA).

People say he is nothing without Jordan, that's nothin but BS. IN 93-94, he lead the bulls to 55 wins(only 2 less wins then the previous year) and took them all the way to the ECF. If not for that phantom foul against the Knicks, who knows how far the bulls would have gone. They definately had the team to beat the Rockets(remember, knicks took them all the way to 7 games, and the bulls took the knicks to 7 games, should have been over in 6 though). He also recieved the most # of votes for the All NBA First Team and All Defensive First team( First player to accomplish that since MJ in 88). Too bad he wasn't able to beat out The Dream in the mvp race.

The next year, Grant(second best player) was traded, and BJ(third best player) was injured. The bulls had a sorry *** front court of Luc Longley and Corie Blount. That bulls team had no business to even stay near .500, but Scottie still valiantly kept them 7 games over .500 until MJ came. He also became the first player since Dave Cowens to lead his team in all the major categories(Pts, Rbs, Asts, Stls, and blks). The bulls were only one good rebounder away from an another championship that season, too bad Rodman came one year later.

The next 3 years, the bulls defeated teams at will. Scottie had no problem in playing Robin again and continued to still be the best all round player in the nba. PJ was p*ssed off when he didn't win the DPOY in 97.

Since having that back surgery in 98, scottie has never been the same. Age(currently 37) and 3 more surgeries has basically made him a spot up shooter. He can still play good D and shoot the clutch trey, but that's it. He can't slash, can't jump and admitted in his latest interview that every part of his body hurts.

He has had 3 straight 50 win seasons with the blazers, but he's only a small part of that success. IN his first 2 years, he was fu*kin lost in that team as far as leadership goes....last year he became the leader everybody expected him to and saved the blazers season after returning from injury(9-15 W/O him, 40-17 with him).

To say Scottie needs MJ to be a great player is nothin' but the media tryin' to suck MJ's di*k even more. It's PJ who Scottie needs IMO.....he perfectly knew how to use Scottie's talent to the fullest effect. It's no surprise the lakers have beaten Scottie ever since he left Chicago.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
How great is Pippen? He revolutionalized the SF position. You see so many versatile SF nowadays. Pippen was the first and the only one in NBA until Grant Hill came in.

Back to the topic, I say take Jordan off and put Dominique in. Jordan is way better than most of the top 50 players. He should be in his own club :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BBallFan</b>!

woah, woah... are you saying that Pippen didn't deserve it?

Pippen was the best defender, and in my opinion, the best all-around player in the league when he played.

Want to guess the win-dropoff the year after Jordan retired, and Pippen picked up the slack? And we're talking about the retirement of the greatest offensive player of all time.
Jordan was the best all around player. Jordan taught Pippen how to play defense.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BILL WALTON...

Yeah Bill, it is time to bag on you. This guy only played in 468 NBA games yet was voted into the Top 50 players of ALL TIME??? But, he did not do enough for a long period of time like Wilkins. here is Walton's stats:
Walton's Stats: PPG RPG APG BlkPG
Career 13.3 10.5 3.4 2.2

468 career games??? I know what he did for the Blazers, but this list should be based on long term production and impact. Unfortunately Bill Walton does not fit that category. Wilkins performed at a greater level for a longer period of time. Walton does not deserve to be in this list at all. Sure injuries crippled him, but so what, the list should not be what you would have done if you were fully fit, but about what you did when you played.So Bill, if you have a problem with what I wrote here I would be more than happy to sort it out with you in person. PS I have read that he likes to browse through these kind of forums.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!

Jordan was the best all around player. Jordan taught Pippen how to play defense.
Which is why Pippen had all the tough defensive matchups, right? Which is why Pippen was the offensive-creator on the team, right?

Jordan wouldn't be "Jordan" without Pippen being there.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Dominique should have been on that list but not by removing PIPPEN i Hate PIPPEN but the guy was one of the great alltime players, on both sides of the floor NIQUE is a better player I believe than Pippen was but you can't take Pippen off that list the Only 2 players that could be removed from that list is SAM JONES AND DAVE DEBUSSHERE, both were along for the ride on great teams, they were both solid but were the beneficiaries of playing with great players.

Man ya'll got it wrong on BILL WALTON , he's one of the great Centers in NBA history,injuries cut short his career he was MVP of the League and the Finals and a multiple time allstar, he was a great passer and player, you wouldn't take GAYLE SAYERS out of the football HALL OF FAME , because he had a short career. Trust me I saw Walton play he could really do it.

Wilkins deserves to be in but not over WALTON OR PIPPEN.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
How great is Pippen? He revolutionalized the SF position. You see so many versatile SF nowadays. Pippen was the first and the only one in NBA until Grant Hill came in.

Back to the topic, I say take Jordan off and put Dominique in. Jordan is way better than most of the top 50 players. He should be in his own club :)
Wrong Elgin Baylor revolutionized the small forward position in 1958.

If Scottie was so great defensively why did Nique, Dantley, Worthy and Bird consistantly torch him? He was good in the Bulls defensive scheme, but one-on-one he was could be had.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts