Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah i know we won last night, but it's pretty sad to begin with if u need a last second shot to beat the new guys. Throw that with that HUMILIATING loss to the then-winless Atlanta Hawks, getting housed by the Sonics at home a few games before that, and getting blown to **** in Cleveland in the final minutes, you got a real suckhouse going on here. Oh we beat the Rockets by 20. Guess what that ain't the Houston team we know, they got issues. Plus the Finley/Barry-less Spurs killed us in TD before that. I guess we get a high draft pick this year, cuz the team blows, everyone except PP and RD is at fault. Hell if the Celtics didn't blow, actually had a good season, then maybe Ricky Davis is a reserve all-star. We'll probably get murdered by Orlando on Monday.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: why, WHY, WWHHYY must this team suck so bad

If Doc keeps giving Perkins more minutes than Blount the rest of the season there will be a lot less suckitude than there has been so far this year. Because Blount's turnovers and miserable rebounding have been the team's biggest problem this year. Yes, even bigger than the defense we've been getting from our PGs. Because people Blount's size are supposed to get the ball and hold on to it once they get it. If they can't do that it doesn't matter how many points they score because the opposition will score even more off the giveaways much too often.

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Trade Blount and Pierce. Blount for reasons you stated, Paul because it's hard to rebuild with a contract like that eating up valuable cap space.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts

BigDonut, you might as well respond to my post here.

There are a few problems with your trade idea.

First of all, why would you want to trade Paul Pierce, a proven NBA star, for a lottery selection that is not guaranteed to accomplish anything (don't get me wrong; draft picks are good, but the '06 draft will not produce many players of Pierce's caliber. If we were to trade for a top three '07 selection though, then that's different [I trust Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, and OJ Mayo will all become superstars; Oden being the best big man since Duncan and a defensive cornerstone [think Dwight Howard, but better]]. Pierce is already what most NBA draft prospects aspire to be. He is not the problem.

Secondly, trading him for an expiring contract isn't the greatest of all ideas. First of all, there aren't many great free agents that are going to come to Boston with it's fervent (in a good way) fanbase and cold weather when they can sign with a team that can contend for championships, offers a more relaxed lifestyle, and is warmer. Also, Pierce would only save us about eleven million dollars in salary per season considering the draft picks we would recieved. We wouldn't even be able to sign someone to the max. This means we would be getting Larry Hughes type players at best.

Third, Pierce's value is highest in the off-season. You don't trade players in the season and expect to get fair value in return. The worst thing would be to trade Pierce at the deadline. Look what happened to Baron Davis. He could've been a Boston Celtic for Tom Gugliotta, Gary Payton, Tony Allen (*or Delonte West), and Michael Stewart, but Wyc and crew refused as they did not want to take on Baron's salary and opted for the cheaper Antoine Walker who had an expiring contract.

If you want to trade Pierce, I suggest after the draft and before next season.

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Premier said:
BigDonut, you might as well respond to my post here.

There are a few problems with your trade idea.

First of all, why would you want to trade Paul Pierce, a proven NBA star, for a lottery selection that is not guaranteed to accomplish anything (don't get me wrong; draft picks are good, but the '06 draft will not produce many players of Pierce's caliber. If we were to trade for a top three '07 selection though, then that's different [I trust Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, and OJ Mayo will all become superstars; Oden being the best big man since Duncan and a defensive cornerstone [think Dwight Howard, but better]]. Pierce is already what most NBA draft prospects aspire to be. He is not the problem.

Secondly, trading him for an expiring contract isn't the greatest of all ideas. First of all, there aren't many great free agents that are going to come to Boston with it's fervent (in a good way) fanbase and cold weather when they can sign with a team that can contend for championships, offers a more relaxed lifestyle, and is warmer. Also, Pierce would only save us about eleven million dollars in salary per season considering the draft picks we would recieved. We wouldn't even be able to sign someone to the max. This means we would be getting Larry Hughes type players at best.

Third, Pierce's value is highest in the off-season. You don't trade players in the season and expect to get fair value in return. The worst thing would be to trade Pierce at the deadline. Look what happened to Baron Davis. He could've been a Boston Celtic for Tom Gugliotta, Gary Payton, Tony Allen (*or Delonte West), and Michael Stewart, but Wyc and crew refused as they did not want to take on Baron's salary and opted for the cheaper Antoine Walker who had an expiring contract.

If you want to trade Pierce, I suggest after the draft and before next season.
Things is if we can dump him this year, we will suck so bad it will be good we get a good draft pick and select a replacement. Again, Redick or Rudy Gay (poor guy...imagine going thru school with a name like that)

·
Banned
61 Posts

No Pierce should not be traded. We need to get rid of Danny, Wyc and Doc and get some capable minds in here running things.

You wait a very long time for a player like Pierce. Trading him away so that you might get someone in return makes no sense at all. Why take the chance of getting lucky for a player you already have on your roster.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts

Once again, if you want to tank the season for a high draft pick, wait until next season.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts

Unless you get #1 overall this season and Rudy Gay it's really not a good draft AT ALL! I don't want to tank.

·
Banned
61 Posts

whiterhino said:
Unless you get #1 overall this season and Rudy Gay it's really not a good draft AT ALL! I don't want to tank.
Oh Cool, glad to know that we aren't tanking it this season. Were just really that bad. That makes everyone feel so much better.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

TheBigDonut said:
Things is if we can dump him this year, we will suck so bad it will be good we get a good draft pick and select a replacement. Again, Redick or Rudy Gay (poor guy...imagine going thru school with a name like that)
Every time I see a thread like this, all I can think, is Good God how many rookies do we need?!?

I don't see ANYONE in next year's draft that would make up for losing Pierce any time soon.

We only have a few players that have been in the league for over 4 years.

I'm waiting for the news to be interrupted with "This just in: The Boston Celtics organization has banned from the team anyone who has experience."

·
Registered
13,107 Posts

TheBigDonut said:
Trade Blount and Pierce. Blount for reasons you stated, Paul because it's hard to rebuild with a contract like that eating up valuable cap space.
Tim Duncan is eating up valuable cap space on the Spurs too, maybe we can swap players?

Well, I guess we'd get no where then.

If you want a cap eater, you look at Raef (good, but not THAT good), Blount (good when motivated) and Vin Baker (5 million for sitting on someone else's bench).

And no, this team doesn't suck, it's just young give it some time. (More than a 10 games)

·
Registered
3,300 Posts

aquaitious said:
Tim Duncan is eating up valuable cap space on the Spurs too, maybe we can swap players?

If you want a cap eater, you look at Raef (good, but not THAT good), Blount (good when motivated) and Vin Baker (5 million for sitting on someone else's bench).

And no, this team doesn't suck, it's just young give it some time. (More than a 10 games)
we said aqua. Trading Pierce for "cap space" is like cutting off your head to lose weight.

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW! We got a serious case of Piercenism here (Piercenism is the Paul Pierce religion - involves praying to his bobblehead every night, fasting every basketball season, etc.) same issue over on BDC

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

aquaitious said:

WE COULD NOT BEAT ORLANDO IN OUR HOUSE. NEED I SAY MORE. Sure, trade for Tim, he is guy who is used to winning. As for the patience, it is already gone.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
TheBigDonut said:
WOW! We got a serious case of Piercenism here (Piercenism is the Paul Pierce religion - involves praying to his bobblehead every night, fasting every basketball season, etc.) same issue over on BDC

Me a Piercenist? Nope, not even close.

If you fail to see how much he's done for this team this year, there's only about five other guys that are doing the same thing so far, you must be watching the Bruins on NESN instead of the Celtics on FSN.

TheBigDonut said:
WE COULD NOT BEAT ORLANDO IN OUR HOUSE. NEED I SAY MORE. Sure, trade for Tim, he makes less than Paul (!) and he is guy who is used to winning. As for the patience, it is already gone.
Of course we couldn't beat them, you must be patient with this patient with this team.

This team is nothing special and is in rebuilding mode no matter what Pierce, Doc, Ainge and/or Celtic Owners think/say. One of the youngest teams in the league. The team is fun to watch, but not ready to win yet.

Also good call on the Tim Duncan-Paul Pierce money issue, I even liked the exclamation mark at the end in parentheses, the only thing that's wrong with it is that Duncan does make more money than Pierce. (!)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts