Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've often heard people say that you should foul, sending them to the line for two FTs, when you're up three to prevent a game tying three pointer.

I TOTALLY disagree.

That makes life WAY too easy for them.

A) They could make one, miss one, get a lucky bounce and tie the game with a putback or WORSE, get fouled on the putback and WIN.

B) They could make both free throws and then foul YOU, suddenly putting the pressure on you to make two free throws. If you miss one or both, they suddenly have a chance to win in regulation.

C) What happened last night. You can intend to foul on the floor and the person can throw the ball up and get three free throws instead of two. Furthermore, WHAT if that shot goes in. You could potentially give up a 4 pt play and lose.

To sum it up, it is stupid, in my opinion, to give your opponent FREE SHOTS AT THE BASKET when they are behind. They are the ones in the hole. They are the ones feeling all the pressure. Make them take a three pointer. Make them make the tough pressure shot. Even if the person is wide open (as House and Miller were), I'd rather that shot go up than have them go to the free throw line. Why? Cuz House and Miller HAVE TO MAKE THAT SHOT. Yes, they made it in those examples, but it's a much tougher shot than a free throw (unless you're Bruce Bowen).

Fouling when you're ahead causes problems you don't want.

That's my opinion.

Go Blazers

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I tend to agree with you...

That said, I like the intentional foul when you have one to give.

If it looks like a man is going to get a good shot, a well placed non-shooting foul will bring the ball right back to the sideline with even less time on the clock.

Also it might be a good idea against a bad free throw shooting player or team.

But I agree that fouling as a rule can be a flawed strategy.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
But what is more likely? The scenarios you provided where the other team gets an offensive board on a free throw, or a guy hitting a 3 from the field? If I were a betting man I would say the 3 from the field is far far more likely than the putback 3 point play starting as a free throw scenario, and even more so the 4 pt scenario.

You have to look at probability and play your best odds.

Heck inside a minute a team that is behind should almost have the right to end the game there and challenge the leading team to a free throw shooting contest.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Despite what I said above, I personally don't like that method as it is cheese noodle IMO. I say make the other team beat ya all the way or let them lose to ya.

It's like having a 3 run lead with the bases loaded and intentionally walking Barry Bonds giving up the run but taking the bat out of his hands.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea. Schilly, the problem is that they foul you and then you have to make both to put them right back in the situation of being within a three of tying it.

Plus, I don't think making a three is more likely than my scenarios. People only shoot around 35% from the three point line and it's an even tougher shot to make with the pressure on.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Yea. Schilly, the problem is that they foul you and then you have to make both to put them right back in the situation of being within a three of tying it.

Plus, I don't think making a three is more likely than my scenarios. People only shoot around 35% from the three point line and it's an even tougher shot to make with the pressure on.
Yes they shoot 35% which is about 1 in 3. The odds of a missed free throw and a put back are probably more like 1 in 30. The odds of a missed freethrow and a foul on a mde put back are probably like 1 in 5000.

The odds of us missing then putting them back on the line witha 2 ponit lead or shooting a 3 are higher than either putback scenario, but I still think you have a better cahnce making them shoot the high pressure FT. They have as much a chance of missing that as we do.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'd have to agree with Schilly on this one. I think a 3-point make is more likely to happen than a put back after a missed free throw. You just don't see that happen very often. Portland would have won the game against the Clipps if they could have fouled before the shooter hit the three. You do have to be careful and use your head however...ala last night. You can't give the refs the chance to call in the motion of shooting a three. At best, the team will make both free throws and and you will make yours if they foul you. That can go on for a little while and you still win if you were originally up by 3. You just can't lose if you foul them before heaving up a three. I think it's the smart thing to do in a case such as the Clipper game...very few seconds left. You don't give them a chance to win with one shot.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The Kings were on whenever they shot... putting them to the freethrow line doesnt help much either... Id rather have them making 2 points then a 3... but when the kings would come back and foul the blazers i was always scared that our streaky FT shooting would lose us the game...

I disagree with the people that said let the kings play it out... Bobby JAckson and Peja were to ON FIRE, to let that happen... i dont mind letting almost any other team play it out but all of the kings can shoot the 3 ball.

I Pheer the kings above all otehr teams... they remind me of a working stacked blazer roster that has chemistry...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think the fouling strategy should only be used once you get under 5 seconds. If they score with more than five seconds you still have a good chance to score yourself.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've seen far too many clutch threes hit late in games to keep the belief that the three point shot has a low percentage of going in. In those moments, you almost have to count on them hitting that shot if they run their play properly - especially if they're playing on their home court.

How many times have we seen the missed second free throw/putback thing work? And how many times have we seen a player hit that big three? Ideally, you want your defense to stop the play, but good offense beats good defense and if the play is executed to perfection you probably wont stop it.

I'm fouling in that situation. It has to be a smart foul though, early in the play, preferbly inside the arc.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ukraine fan is right on the money... it does make sense... but not when the other team has time for another one after your are fouled. Under 5 seconds seems about right. The Kings are so good at drawing fouls... they just jack up a shot and flail... and then get the call so many times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts