Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that our former players have been really lighting the league on fire this season. None of these players are averaging better stats than what they offered while Blazers, with the exception of Wells' rebound numbers. All other stats are equal or have fallen.

Derek Anderson - 30games - .364%FG - 3.5rbds/gm - 2.5assist/gm - 8.6pts/gm for Rockets/Heat

Nick Van Exel - 53 games - .399%FG - 1.3 rbds/gm - 1.8assist/gm - 5.3pts/gm for Spurs

Shareef Abdur-Rahim - 57games - .518%FG - 5.2rbds/gm - 2.3assist/gm - 12.4pts/gm for Kings

Damon Stoudamire - 27games - .397%FG - 3.5rbds/gm - 4.7assist/gm - 11.7pts/gm for Grizz

Jeff McInnis - 28games - .441%FG - 1.8rbds/gm - 1.9assist/gm - 5.3pts/gm for Nets

Bonzi Wells - 37games - .445%FG - 8.0rbds/gm - 2.9assist/gm - 13.1pts/gm for Kings

Rasheed Wallace - 66games - .438%FG - 6.8rbds/gm - 2.5assist/gm - 15.8pts/gm - for Pistons

The only bright spots have been, Rasheed's normal good stats, Bonzi having almost doubled his boards per game avg, Shareef has good stats despite limited minutes, and Damon having a solid season until he was injured - the rest have fallen off the earth. I think this is why the return for trades wasn't equitable.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
I've noticed that our former players have been really lighting the league on fire this season. None of these players are averaging better stats than what they offered while Blazers, with the exception of Wells' rebound numbers. All other stats are equal or have fallen.

The only bright spots have been, Rasheed's normal good stats, Bonzi having almost doubled his boards per game avg, Shareef has good stats despite limited minutes, and Damon having a solid season until he was injured - the rest have fallen off the earth. I think this is why the return for trades wasn't equitable.
Worst. Logic. Ever.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Uh... if you hadn't noticed:

Derek Anderson has played like crap all year. First on a Houston team desparate for any player resembling a shooting guard and he was sent away for a rookie who got cut. Now in Miami, he's leading one of the worst benches in the league. And then he's been "hurt" playing in 30 games.

Nick Van Exel has had probably 2 good games all year. He's stuck behind Ginobili and Parker who both need 35-40 minutes. And there's this guy named Michael Finley who's sucking some more playing time.

SARS hasn't done well at all. He can't even start for Sacramento, who prefers to start Kenny Thomas.

Damon and McInnis both hurt all year. both whining *** *****es. blah blah blah.

Bonzi hurt for majority of the year and with Artest coming along and Kevin Martin putting up rediculous numbers, Bonzi won't get that starting job back.

Sheed - everybody knew how talented he was.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:

Derek Anderson - 30games - .364%FG - 3.5rbds/gm - 2.5assist/gm - 8.6pts/gm for Rockets/Heat

Nick Van Exel - 53 games - .399%FG - 1.3 rbds/gm - 1.8assist/gm - 5.3pts/gm for Spurs

Shareef Abdur-Rahim - 57games - .518%FG - 5.2rbds/gm - 2.3assist/gm - 12.4pts/gm for Kings

Damon Stoudamire - 27games - .397%FG - 3.5rbds/gm - 4.7assist/gm - 11.7pts/gm for Grizz

Jeff McInnis - 28games - .441%FG - 1.8rbds/gm - 1.9assist/gm - 5.3pts/gm for Nets

Bonzi Wells - 37games - .445%FG - 8.0rbds/gm - 2.9assist/gm - 13.1pts/gm for Kings

Rasheed Wallace - 66games - .438%FG - 6.8rbds/gm - 2.5assist/gm - 15.8pts/gm - for Pistons

Cool analysis thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Just a quick note;

I am not at all suprised Bonzi's rebound numbers have increased...Sacramento is a horrible rebounding team. Brad Miller and Shareef present a fairly weak front line in terms of rbds IMO.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Numbers, shmumbers. I was ecstatic to see each and every one go with one exception: SAR. Personally, even though I knew there was no way to make it happen, I would rather have seen SAR stay and Zach go. Character matters.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Last I heard, Qyntel was doing reasonably well in the Big Apple.

He's no dog. I think he has a fighting chance there. No bull, I'd pit him against some of their other players, anytime. ;)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ABM said:

He's no dog. I think he has a fighting chance there. No bull, I'd pit him against some of their other players, anytime. ;)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
208 Posts
ABM said:

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA -cough! cough!- -wheeze- HAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
15,856 Posts
ABM said:

That's fantastic :D

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Blazer Maven said:
HUH?!?

It seems perfectly reasonable to me. SAR, DA, Damon and Nick had virtually no trade value for a reason: their talent and/or health had deteriorated to the point where they were no longer assets.
They way I read the logic was 'Because their stats are down this season, no one wanted them last season or the season before.' How does that make sense? Did the GMs on other teams look into the future? Some of those guys had decent stats when they were on the block.

Seven players were listed, and four of them were given excuses for not fitting into the bad premise. The other three "had fallen off the earth." And one of those that fell off the earth was DA, who as we all know was wearing a Blazer uniform when he fell off the earth about three years ago- well before the team was looking to trade him.

I appreciate that this thread isn't mindless complaining, and seeing the stats together was interesting, but the conclusion is IMO flawed.

You can't always sum things up with a simple explaination.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Left out the worst trade made:

Playoff appearances for Lottery scraps.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
deanwoof said:
Uh... if you hadn't noticed:

Derek Anderson has played like crap all year. First on a Houston team desparate for any player resembling a shooting guard and he was sent away for a rookie who got cut. Now in Miami, he's leading one of the worst benches in the league. And then he's been "hurt" playing in 30 games.

Nick Van Exel has had probably 2 good games all year. He's stuck behind Ginobili and Parker who both need 35-40 minutes. And there's this guy named Michael Finley who's sucking some more playing time.

SARS hasn't done well at all. He can't even start for Sacramento, who prefers to start Kenny Thomas.

Damon and McInnis both hurt all year. both whining *** *****es. blah blah blah.

Bonzi hurt for majority of the year and with Artest coming along and Kevin Martin putting up rediculous numbers, Bonzi won't get that starting job back.

Sheed - everybody knew how talented he was.
just cuz bonzi and shareef dont start doesnt make them crap. both have played acceptional and still get 30 min. a game, so....... :confused:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Backboard Cam said:
They way I read the logic was 'Because their stats are down this season, no one wanted them last season or the season before.' How does that make sense? Did the GMs on other teams look into the future? Some of those guys had decent stats when they were on the block.

I would argue that that is exactly what they did, figuratively anyway. Each player showed a lot of weaknesses in their game, with the exception of Shareef. Damon, wanted to shoot, but wasn't that good at it. DA wanted to shoot, but wasn't that good at it. Van Exel wanted to shoot, but wasn't that good at it. Most of these players showed with their style of play that they just aren't that good, and other GM's saw this. Now, us Blazer fans are realizing the truth, that most of these guys just weren't that highly thought of by the rest of the league, and for a reason.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TheoSaysNo said:
.....Now, us Blazer fans are realizing the truth, that most of these guys just weren't that highly thought of by the rest of the league, and for a reason.
This was the point of this thread. It wasn't written to be a logic thesis. Sorry.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
If you're trying to convince me that the current Blazer squad is the best possible scenario we could've had given the players we were working with to trade, I'm not buying it.

Throw aside speculation about Carter and Kidd, and also the idea of just trading Sheed directly to Detroit for decent picks (instead of Theo Ratliff).

We could have a pretty darned decent playoff team right now with a team featuring Rasheed, Randolph, Miles, Bonzi, Blake, with Przybilla, Dixon, Outlaw, Skinner and whatever draft picks we'd have had on the bench. It probably wouldn't cost us any more than our current squad as far as payroll. Can you imagine my team being coached by Nate McMillan?

With a real setup guy like Blake instead of Damon Stoudamire, that could be a 45-50 win team. Maybe more if the chemistry is right.

As it is now, we're probably 3 years away from hoping to get to that point.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
In fairness to Damon, he was having a decent if not stellar season. His injury was not the result of chronic breakdown like DA but was the kind of accident that can happen to any player.
Woods is getting garbage time for the Knicks. Considering how bad the Knicks are, he gets in a lot of games.
Wells and Abdur-Rahim have had some decent games, but Sacramento's turnaround was not due to them. In fact, more the opposite.
Those who say that the Blazers traded the playoffs for a bad team or that the Blazers would have been a playoff team with these guys are forgetting the minor detail that all but Wallace were on the team last year. Lottery. All were on the team 2 years ago, Wallace for half the season. Lottery. But this year, with all the injuries and inconsistencies, they would have gotten the Blazers into the playoffs? Talk about bad logic!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
theWanker said:
If you're trying to convince me that the current Blazer squad is the best possible scenario we could've had given the players we were working with to trade, I'm not buying it.

We could have a pretty darned decent playoff team right now with a team featuring Rasheed, Randolph, Miles, Bonzi, Blake, with Przybilla, Dixon, Outlaw, Skinner and whatever draft picks we'd have had on the bench. ........
It has always been my belief that Rasheed was not going to re-sign his contract with Portland. Period. So, he couldn't have been part of your new team. A first-round loser BTW.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.