Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the hell is Elgin Baylor smoking? The Clippers already have Elton Brand. why do they need 2 other young PF? When interviewed, he said that they probably won't acquire Andre Miller. So, why did he draft 2 PF if he doesn't plan on trading them?

I really thought that Miller would be going to LA, especially when the Cavs selected Dajuan Wagner with the 6th pick. Ricky Davis is a SG, so Wagner would have to play PG. This whole draft just isn't making much sense.:no:

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
couldn't agree more

as a Cavs fan I was mad when they took Wagner instead of Butler, and when the CLips took 2 PFs (including WIlcox), I kept waiting for a trade to be announced. Maybe in a few weeks or something, but you are right, this crap just doesn't make any sense... but maybe that is why neither the Cavs or the Clips are getting much better.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
if i were a clipper fan, i'd want baylor lynched... I mean, what the hell was he thinking. AT the very least get butler and use him as trade bait.. no clue what baylor is smoking either... just glad I'm not a clippers fan

·
Registered
983 Posts
Jesus, settle down.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to take Caron Butler over Chris Wilcox.

Wilcox has a higher trade value. He wasn't supposed to be around at 8. And he's a PF - PF's have more value than 2guard/SF's. It's easier to find wing players than it is big men.

So if they make a trade, Wilcox has more value.

And if they keep him, he has more value to the Clips. With Odom, Miles, Maggette, and Q, there is no room at the 2 or 3 for Butler whatsoever. He'd sti the bench and never get off. At least Wilcox can backup at the 4.

The Clippers going into the draft had 2 needs. A PG and size/defense/rebounding in the backup 4/5.

They have Marko Jaric coming over. He would've been a high lottery pick if he were in this years draft. PG position addressed.

They took Wilcox and Ely. Big man need addressed.

Before the draft, everyone tells the clipps that they need to make sure they keep their core players in tact and build around them. And that is the smart decision.

But now, people are criticizing them for not trading their core players. And trading one of Miles, Odom, Q, or Brand is what it was going to take to make a deal.

The clipps have to live by a double standard. Non Clipper fans will always find something to criticize. They do what people say and don't break up the team and they get criticized.

I for one am extremely happy that they did not trade for Andre Miller. Why? Because in doing so it would have to break up the core. And that is not the way to make this team a winner.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are you talking about? Caron Butler is said to be the most NBA ready player that was in the draft. He'll come in and score points right away for his team. Wilcox.:laugh: Oh yeah, he's got way more trade value than Butler.:rolleyes: :laugh: It's like saying, "Samaki Walker has more trade value than Shaq." Butler was great all season, Wilcox was only great in the NCAA Tournament. And you're telling me that Wilcox has more trade value?!:no: :laugh:

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by RD
Jesus, settle down.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to take Caron Butler over Chris Wilcox.

Wilcox has a higher trade value. He wasn't supposed to be around at 8. And he's a PF - PF's have more value than 2guard/SF's. It's easier to find wing players than it is big men.

So if they make a trade, Wilcox has more value.

And if they keep him, he has more value to the Clips. With Odom, Miles, Maggette, and Q, there is no room at the 2 or 3 for Butler whatsoever. He'd sti the bench and never get off. At least Wilcox can backup at the 4.

The Clippers going into the draft had 2 needs. A PG and size/defense/rebounding in the backup 4/5.

They have Marko Jaric coming over. He would've been a high lottery pick if he were in this years draft. PG position addressed.

They took Wilcox and Ely. Big man need addressed.

Before the draft, everyone tells the clipps that they need to make sure they keep their core players in tact and build around them. And that is the smart decision.

But now, people are criticizing them for not trading their core players. And trading one of Miles, Odom, Q, or Brand is what it was going to take to make a deal.

The clipps have to live by a double standard. Non Clipper fans will always find something to criticize. They do what people say and don't break up the team and they get criticized.

I for one am extremely happy that they did not trade for Andre Miller. Why? Because in doing so it would have to break up the core. And that is not the way to make this team a winner.
By the way, people are talking about trading Maggette, one of the picks and some cash to the Cavs for Andre Miller, not Q, DMiles, and Brand. Would you rather have Maggette and one of the picks or Andre Miller?

The Clippers need to get rid of one of their picks, because now they have an overload at the PF position (Brand, Wilcox and Ely), and none of those players are big enough to play center.:no:

·
Registered
983 Posts
NBA ready doesn't mean crap. Dan Gadzuric is more NBA ready than Nene Hilario. Would you take Gadzuric over him?

And then it comes down to position - The Clippers were loaded at the wing position and had no depth at the 4 or 5 spots. If they took Butler and had to keep him, they are even deeper at the wing, and still have nothing at the 4 and 5(in terms of depth). At least now, they have fantastic depth everywhere.

As for the trade, no, Maggette is not in the rumors. That was the predraft rumors. The Clips tried to move Maggette and the picks, but nobody bit.

The Cavs and Hornets wanted Darius Miles or Lamar Odom. To get a deal done, we had to include one of them and both picks. Those players are core players, and should not be traded. So Im happy a trade didnt go down.

If a deal involving Maggette and Wilcox(and a PG - Dooling or Jaric and maybe future picks) can be made, go for it. I think that package of young players is definitely enticing, especially when Cle and N.O. know they will not sign Miller or Davis when they are FA's. I hope a deal can be swung with that package of players, but if Miles or Odom(or Brand) has to be involved, then I would rather not deal.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Oh, and yes, Melvin Ely is big enough to play Center.

He is 6'10 250lbs and has a 7'4 wingspan.

Nene Hilario, at the exact same measurements and wingspan is said to be able to play the 5 spot, but Ely can't. Why is that?

Ely will be the backup C for the Clippers.

I do agree that Wilcox needs to go, because the only position he can play is PF, and obviously Brand has 35 of those minutes taken. Ely can take those minutes, and play backup 5 minutes. He's more versatile than Wilcox because of his size. I'd keep him, but move Wilcox.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
your going to eat those words RD :)

I'll post again in the middle of the season when butler is on his way to winning ROY and wilcox and ely are bench warmers next year.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
As for NBA ready. People say butler is NBA ready as he can come in and score 18 pts a game, grab 7 boards and 3 or 4 assists rookie season. It doesn't mean he doesn't have potential to be better then that. He could be avging 25 to 28 pts in a couple years.

He has tenacity for rebounding like marion inside, and has a awesome mid range game w/ ability to penetrate.

Proven Centers are more valueable then proven swingmen. But PF are more then available in this league, just as many of them as swingmen. So your looking at players at positions that both available, one is unproven and may be a bust, the other will produce good numbers at worse, be somewhere between Pierce and Marion if things work out. They are worlds apart.

As for trading.

Cavs wanted Butler badly! They were working on trade for him till very last minute but Clippers were stupid. But now, they have wilcox, and the cavs don't want him, the hornets don't want him either(if they want to go after davis). So they wasted a pick/or chance to get andre miller by not getting butler.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have you been listening to anything that is being said in this post KenethTo? We dont give a crap if Butler is the best player in this draft, he would still be behind Odom, Miles, and probably Q-Rich. There is no way we could give him any minutes. We dont need a swingman no matter how good they will end up being.

·
Registered
920 Posts
****, would you want Paul Pierce on your team? You always take best player available. If you would have drafted Butler, a deal would have happened. The only reason a deal didnt go down was because the damn clippers picked wilcox instead of Butler. The deal would have been odom and the 2 picks for Andre Miller.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by RD
NBA ready doesn't mean crap. Dan Gadzuric is more NBA ready than Nene Hilario. Would you take Gadzuric over him?

And then it comes down to position - The Clippers were loaded at the wing position and had no depth at the 4 or 5 spots. If they took Butler and had to keep him, they are even deeper at the wing, and still have nothing at the 4 and 5(in terms of depth). At least now, they have fantastic depth everywhere.

As for the trade, no, Maggette is not in the rumors. That was the predraft rumors. The Clips tried to move Maggette and the picks, but nobody bit.

The Cavs and Hornets wanted Darius Miles or Lamar Odom. To get a deal done, we had to include one of them and both picks. Those players are core players, and should not be traded. So Im happy a trade didnt go down.

If a deal involving Maggette and Wilcox(and a PG - Dooling or Jaric and maybe future picks) can be made, go for it. I think that package of young players is definitely enticing, especially when Cle and N.O. know they will not sign Miller or Davis when they are FA's. I hope a deal can be swung with that package of players, but if Miles or Odom(or Brand) has to be involved, then I would rather not deal.
What in God's name are you talking about? I didn't say that NBA ready means crap! I said that Caron Butler is a great player and that scouts are saying he is the most NBA ready player in the draft. You need to read posts better buddy.:yes: And, how in the world is Dan Gadzuric more NBA ready than Hilario?! Bad example, bad, bad, bad example.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by The X Factor

And, how in the world is Dan Gadzuric more NBA ready than Hilario?! Bad example, bad, bad, bad example.
Because he went to college-and has more size.

·
Registered
983 Posts

What in God's name are you talking about? I didn't say that NBA ready means crap! I said that Caron Butler is a great player and that scouts are saying he is the most NBA ready player in the draft. You need to read posts better buddy.:yes: And, how in the world is Dan Gadzuric more NBA ready than Hilario?! Bad example, bad, bad, bad example.
You used Butler being able to play immediately as your justification for him being the better fit or the better pick. If you use that as your justification, that usually means you believe it was a good reason. And in this case, it isn't. Because NBA ready doesn't mean anything when it comes to the Clippers and what they should have taken.

No, Gadzuric is not a bad example. It's a perfect example.

Dan Gadzuric is 23(maybe 24), and has years of american basketball experience from an elite Division 1 school. He is much, much more NBA ready in terms of experience than Nene Hilario. I actually think Hilario was one of the Top 3 players in the draft, but he's not going to be a star immediately. It's going to take a few years for him to be great. Gadzuric is more experienced, and therefore more ready to paly right away, even though in the long run, he shouldnt be able to hold Nene's jock.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sure Caron Bulter is NBA ready, NBA ready enough to sit on the bench behind Odom, Miles and Q. He will be a very good player in the mold of Paul Pierce, but Odom, Miles, and Q are all more "NBA ready" than him so he is worthless to the clips.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The REAL trade

If you haven't seen it, pick up the sports illustrated with Ichiro on the cover. It has all the details of the trade and an article explaining why it didn't go down. It didn't seem to me like it was anybody's fault really just a bit of confusion on both sides, moreso on the Clippers' side though. The trade was supposed to be Odom and the 8th pick, who LAC THOUGHT was supposed to be Wilcox, but Cleveland changed their minds and wanted Bulter. LA called in the trade a little early because Sterling and Baylor were not in the same room and were communicating by phone. This caused them to hurry a little and they still had a minute left to decide. I wouldn't say it was really their fault that the trade didn't go down though, because Cleveland didn't tell them to draft Butler anyway.

Now, about what I think of the trade. I agree that they need to keep Ely and trade Wilcox, and wouldn't mind giving up Jaric as well. Odom is expendable because of Miles, who won't be up for big money for a couple of years, so even if they're not going to keep the team together and pay them all they'll be together for more time. Ideally I'd like to see them get Andre Miller for Odom, Jaric and Wilcox. Yes, LA is giving up more than they're getting in return, but that's how trades work. Miller is more valuable to them now than Odom, Jaric, and Wilcox are anyway.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What the hell is Elgin Baylor smoking? The Clippers already have Elton Brand. why do they need 2 other young PF? When interviewed, he said that they probably won't acquire Andre Miller. So, why did he draft 2 PF if he doesn't plan on trading them?

I really thought that Miller would be going to LA, especially when the Cavs selected Dajuan Wagner with the 6th pick. Ricky Davis is a SG, so Wagner would have to play PG. This whole draft just isn't making much sense.:no:
You make perfect sense. I have no idea why Sterling drafted two power forwards in the draft! He must be crazy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Odom is supposed to be traded for Marion. I don't know if I like this trade. I think both of these players have equal talent and why would u want to mess up the chemistry of the team??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lets not get bent out of shape yet

I believe the Clips have something up their sleeve and will pull a rabbit out of the hat shortly. The tell tale sign is that Wilcox and Ely are the only two first round picks not participating in Summer Legue play. Can only conclude the Clips don't want their trade bait injured.

Bully

1 - 20 of 27 Posts