Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think Wizards fans, will Andray Blatche be a contributor for the Wizards in the 2006-2007 season or will he remain on the bench?

Do the Wizards need him to develop into a contributor in order to become more successful?

· Registered
15,856 Posts
I honestly think that if we were a worse team - in other words, we weren't playing for the playoffs and the younger guys were given more opportunities - that Blatche would already be a solid contributor by now. While there is plenty of the obvious "fresh out of high school" in his game, he's already shown us that he's got great handles and court vision for someone his size, and the ability to stick open jumpers. Another summer of working on his game, and I think he should be able to at least work his way into being in the rotation next season.

If Jeffries is lost via free agency, then maybe his role would be even bigger. I think that he can turn into the player we were thinking we'd get when we drafted Jeffries: someone that is not especially dominant at any one thing, but can do everything across the board at least at an average level. Though he's obviously not played enough to really take much from his stats, they do slightly reflect the idea - 2 points, 1 board, 0.5 assists, 0.2 steals, 0.2 blocks. Give him Jeffries' minutes and a little bit more experience, and I could see something around 8/5/2.5/0.8/0.8 by the time we wrap up next year. While that's not going to blow anyone's socks off, considering our pathetic bench, it's something I imagine most of us would more than welcome.

It's pretty tough to really guess much about his final potential right now. He simply hasn't gotten enough court time to be able to make any career-spanning judgements. I'm already stretching his limited numbers and minutes into making a guess about next year. About the most certain thing I can predict is that I think he'll prove to have been better than his draft position, and won't fall out of the league any time soon like a lot of second rounders.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
As long as Eddie Jordan is our coach, developing young players is always going to be tough. EJ doesn't give players enough playing time, even when we are blowing teams out. His reluctance to play them leads to them never improving therefore wasting draft picks. Dixon and Blake weren't played to their fullest and they are having career numbers. We haven't even seen Ramos this year. Players are soon going to be afraid to be drafted by the Wizards.

But for Blatche, I think he can be something great. He's so versatile like KG, but with a smaller body. He seems to play a little soft around the rim, but that can change. His shot is good just about everywhere and he can play a little defense. He dribbles and passes like a guard in the body of a forward, much like Lebron (not comparing skills in no way). If we give him more of Jeffries' minutes then he could improve into a 11/6/2/1/1 player next year.

· Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Meh.

He has a shot. Lets give him some time, I am not really interested in forcing the issue, and I wouldn't say we should let Jared go just so Blatche got some time. We def need a post presense to start being more of a threat.

Jarvis theoretically comes back next year, and Blatche and Taylor get a full NBA offseason under their belts. I think you could def see Blatche getting Etan Thomas like minutes, which will only expand if he is productive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.