Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Bulls deal Thomas?
While Skiles sounded confident about Gordon, he had no encouraging words for Tim Thomas, inactive for three of the four games on the West Coast trip. Thomas didn't sit on the bench for two of those games, and Skiles said he never glanced down the bench to notice.

Thomas, the Bulls' highest-paid player at $14 million in the last year of a contract, last week said a trade is in his future. The Bulls could negotiate a release, which would be costly, if they can't package him in a trade. Or they could do nothing, but they risk a price when it comes to intangibles like chemistry.

"To me it's a non-issue," Skiles said of Thomas' benching.

Thomas wasn't at practice Tuesday. Bulls spokesman Tim Hallam said it was because of a family matter.
a buyout??? I don't think so. A trade is more likely. expiring fat contracts can be dealt easily.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
By the trade deadline he will hopefully be gone. Whats the use in acquiring him if we don't bother to do something with him.

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
step said:
By the trade deadline he will hopefully be gone. Whats the use in acquiring him if we don't bother to do something with him.
He was a fill in. We traded for him because of his salary - capspace. I don't think Paxson will trade him away just to trade him away even for somewhat serviceable players. A buyout? Yeah, unless Thomas agrees to accept 1/2 of his current salary, which i then would put him under the category as stupidity. But if he wants to play, he will have to sacrafice something - lots of $$$.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ok, I don't get this "trade him as the dealline approaches" approach. He makes $13.9 mil, who in the world could we get in return making that amount of money that (1) will be helpful to us: and (2) more useful than the $ savings necessary to get a free agent that we would get in July??

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If he's traded, it will have to be for either

a) a player whose contract also expires at the end of the season, but is somewhat more useful to the Bulls for this season.

b) a highly paid player the Bulls REALLY want long-term.

I don't see either happening.

If Thomas decides to get interested, he could help us this season. If he stays lukewarm about the whole thing, he'll spend a lot of time on the inactive list. If he's disruptive, they'll cut him.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Traded? Not just for the sake of being traded. His contract is most important! If the right deal comes a long, such as a pierce, KG etc; then yes, he will be traded.

I have said all along that Pax is looking at 2006. TT's contract is up this summer. That can bring us in a nice player! Or two good players to fill voids.

We trade TT just because he wants to be traded that could very likely ruin our cap space this summer.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
transplant said:
If he's traded, it will have to be for either

a) a player whose contract also expires at the end of the season, but is somewhat more useful to the Bulls for this season.

b) a highly paid player the Bulls REALLY want long-term.

I don't see either happening.

If Thomas decides to get interested, he could help us this season. If he stays lukewarm about the whole thing, he'll spend a lot of time on the inactive list. If he's disruptive, they'll cut him.
This is right on, except for the fact that I might not even trade him if he's disruptive. Perhaps we could suspend him if he's disruptive, but I want his contract on our books for when the trade deadline approaches. I know both options A or B unlikely, but those better be the only options under which he gets traded.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If he's disruptive, they'll cut him.
They won't cut him, he's too valuable of a trading piece to throw away like that.
I know both options A or B unlikely, but those better be the only options under which he gets traded.
Indeed, unless its like KG, Pierce or an unexpected superstar being shopped, we're probably definitely stuck with him. I just don't get why we bothered to trade AD for TT, their salaries are basically identical.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
You could build an entire team out of the players who the Bulls aquire through various means who don't "play the right way". It's uncanny. There's literally at least one guy every year who doesn't fit their system.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
By the deadline the Bulls will have everything to make them an ideal trading partner. Picks, expiring contracts, young talent (on Rookie deals), etc. I dont know if Pax will have the same material in the near future to make a push for a big time player, but of course its not all up to him (it takes 2 to tango, plus you dont know who might become available).

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts
truebluefan said:
I have said all along that Pax is looking at 2006. TT's contract is up this summer. That can bring us in a nice player! Or two good players to fill voids.
Nene ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts