Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who is unsure about Jeffries starting? I mean, he is only a rookie, and he didn't show great performance in the summer league. However, I was impressed with his ability to play a point forward role, which could allow him, dixon, and rip/jordan/hughes to be on the floor at the same time. I'm assuming that the Wizards' starting lineup will at first be, Hughes, Rip, Jeffries, Kwame, and Haywood. Jordan will still be the biggest factor even if he's on the bench. I don't see Jordan playing under 30 mpg whether he starts or not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think there is a big chanceof Hughes coming off the bench. Even if he hasn't been succesful at the point, who else on the Wizards is more qualified for a starting spot. You could suggest Dixon, but he's a rookie and hasn't proven himself just yet (as much as I like the guy).

·
Registered
973 Posts
I doubt Jefferies will start for the entire season. He sorta struggled through preseason and Bobby Simmons outshined him. I'd rather have Grizzard, or Simmons play SF. But it would be better to see MJ play dat pos. again so he could start. But i doubt that possibility.

Your prolly thinking Bobby Simmons starting???

Well datz why we drafted a SF. It would've been a lot better though if Caron Butler slipped to us.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shroombal, I undertsand Simmons, but you would rather have grizzard start at sf than jeffries? Grizzard didn't even play in the summer leagues, and is pretty raw offensively. He doesn't have as good range, shot selection, or versatility as Jeffries. The only thing that could land him a starting job would be his ability to run the point, but Jeffries can do that as well. I think that the Wizards might end up starting Simmons, even though he isn't starter material. I guess I'd rather they developed Jeffries and had him start since he has more potential than Simmons. In fact, I think the Wizards could dump Simmons. All he has over Jeffries and Grizzard is one year, and he won't ever be the Nowitzki-like player that Jeffries can be, or the athletic monster that Grizzard can be. Why not trade Simmons for a late first rounder or a young project big man.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Jared Jefferies did not put in the points in the Summer League. I just don't believe he can cut it. And if he starts and he gets his butt blown by guyz like Nowitzki, and his *** posted up by Kevin Garnett, it will hurt his self-confidence. First we gotta make sure he can do sumthing against other guyz in the NBA, but the Summer League proved he isn't ready.

So I say bench him and let him develop wiht spurts off the bench. And then reward him with the starting minutes if he can produce as the the teams back up small forward/power forward.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shroomball, who would you want starting ahead of jeffries. Jordan has said he is planning on playing the 2-spot.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I think it is Jeffries' job to lose. I like Simmons but I don't like him more than Jeffries and I see him more as a backup energy guy.

The Wizards used Jeffries a lot as a Point Forward in the summer league and I think he has potential their for the future but not this season. He is probably not going to be asked to make those kinds of decisions with the ball this year, especially with Hughes and Rip controlling the ball the majority of the time. He is going to go out and be asked to defend first of all and contribute to the team game second of all.

I think Grizzard is the athletic darkhorse. I think he has a great shot to contribute in the future if he signs and makes the same kind of effort that simmons made last season. I think Simmons will stick around for continuity and to give him a shot but I think Grizzard will be kept in the wings. Hopefully he develops like Simmons did with little playing time. With Rip's future dependant on this season somewhat, Grizzard will be good insurance for the future at the 2 as well, not withstanding Hughes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts