Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say yes because he will lead and average team to the second round of the playoffs in the west. Also he will lead the league in scoring and will show why he is going to be the second greatest guard of all time behind you know who?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I don't think this is the year for it.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Obviously he's one of the favorites along with KG, Shaq, TD, and TMac. TD and KG should be the favorites to win it, but the media likes to switch it up so I'd say it'll be between Kobe and Shaq, provided both of their teams do well. Otherwise, it'll most likely be one of the PFs as much as the media doesn't want to give it to them. However, with all the competition between the 5 best in the L, the odds are against Kobe.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Kobe is one the 5 best candidates. I think it'll be Duncan, KG or Shaq though. All of them seem hungry going into this next season.

McGrady and Kobe have a shot as well if they can excel in their new situation.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Only time will tell. If he leads the league in scoring with a high fg% and takes his team into the second round of the playoffs, he has as good of a chance as anyone.

Personally, I think KG will add another one by having an even bigger year than this past one.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>banner17</b>!
Only time will tell. If he leads the league in scoring with a high fg% and takes his team into the second round of the playoffs, he has as good of a chance as anyone.

Personally, I think KG will add another one by having an even bigger year than this past one.
For him to be considered, he is going to have to get in the top half of the West (meaning taking the Pacific crown or finishing with the best record of the non-division winners). It's going to be a challenge for him to win it next year.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Unlikely. He's an MVP-caliber talent, but his team is unlikely to be good enough to make him a front-runner for the award. Plus, he's not likely to be as impactful as Garnett or Duncan.

Garnett and Duncan are the clear front-runners. The two best players with the two best teams.

Shaquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant are all on the next tier.

Then you have the long-shots like Dirk Nowitzki or Jermaine O'Neal, who might draw a few non-first-place votes.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Part of the MVP award deals with team success, and Kobe would need a team that is comparable to the Twolves or Spurs to have a shot. Actually, I'm of the opinion that the Lakers aren't all that much worse than either the Twolves or Spurs. However, the problem for Kobe is that KG and Duncan are better players than Kobe has proven to be in his career.

The only way I see Kobe winning the MVP this year is if the Lakers win about 50 games or so (with the Twolves and Spurs winning 55ish) and Kobe simply having a season most people weren't expecting. For example, if he can average something like 30-7-7 on 45%+ shooting, win 50 games, and make First Team All Defense, I don't see why he can't win the MVP award over Duncan and Garnett. Garnett would need to duplicate his 2004 season to have a chance at beating a season like that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No, No, and hell no. What role player you know has ever won an MVP award? Shoot, i gotta better chance starting for the NBA all Star game than Ko***** winning an MVP, sad but true. ;)

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mack Ten</b>!
No, No, and hell no. What role player you know has ever won an MVP award? Shoot, i gotta better chance starting for the NBA all Star game than Ko***** winning an MVP, sad but true. ;)
So, still not over Kobe's criminal case being droped? ;)

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
it depends on how good the lakers are. and the answer here depends on how good you think the lakers will be. if la wins 50+ games, kobe will have a good shot at the award. if not, he won't.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i believe it will be a fight between kobe and Mcgrady. Both are in situations where they can shine.

This is what they have to have a mvp calibar season.

Kobe: He has to atleast take his team to the playoffs around the 5th seed and average 32 6 6 with 50% fg percentage

Mcgrady: He will have to lead the team to atleast the 3rd seed or even the 2nd seed if he wants to have a mvp season. He probably has to average around 26 7 7. Pts are down because he has the second best center in the league. He probably has to shoot 50% from the feild.

it will probably be harder for Mcgrady to get the mvp.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
All the voters do is vote for the best player on the team with the best record. Either the Spurs or T'Wolves will have the best record so either Duncan or Garnett will get the MVP. The Lakers won't be quite good enough to get the best record over those two teams. Even if Kobe does put up amazing stats and gets to the playoffs he still won't get the award.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>farhan007</b>!
i believe it will be a fight between kobe and Mcgrady. Both are in situations where they can shine.

This is what they have to have a mvp calibar season.

Kobe: He has to atleast take his team to the playoffs around the 5th seed and average 32 6 6 with 50% fg percentage

Mcgrady: He will have to lead the team to atleast the 3rd seed or even the 2nd seed if he wants to have a mvp season. He probably has to average around 26 7 7. Pts are down because he has the second best center in the league. He probably has to shoot 50% from the feild.

it will probably be harder for Mcgrady to get the mvp.
You actually expect them to shoot 50% from the field? Iverson won the MVP shooting about 10% less than that. I expect them to be in the mid 40s at best.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pinball</b>!

You actually expect them to shoot 50% from the field? Iverson won the MVP shooting about 10% less than that. I expect them to be in the mid 40s at best.
i believe kobe has shot 50% a few times....

And with yao on Mcgrady's team will help him take better shots.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts