Votes: 2 25.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 3 37.5%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sort of up in the air about this. i think that if they win out they will be deserving of it and will probably get it, if they happen to drop a game or two there are a few problems.

PROBLEMS:

1. pittsburgh and connecticut. if one of them wins the big east and does it without losing more than one game the rest of the year, chances are they'll be ahead of mississippi state. why?? out of the last four or five years, all the #1 seeds have been ranked #5 or higher in the coaches poll. therefore, the committee seems to rely heavily on the nabc rankings when making this decision. pitt is ranked higher than mississippi state now. if miss state were to pass them, they would most likely need pitt to stumble.

2. although mississippi state is in the sec, they are arguably in the weaker division. a team like kentucky will play florida, vanderbilt, georgia, tennessee and south carolina twice. all of those teams are either in the current projected bracket or very close to it. that gives them a bigger boost in rpi and sos as well as more shots at quality wins. mississippi state only plays them once. let me remind everyone of last year when kansas had the best record in the big twelve, but received a #1 seed when both oklahoma and texas received a #1 seed. why?? the committee views a division as its own conference. in other words, the sec mind as well be two different conferences. winning the west is different than winning the east.

3. this is probably the worst, they lost to kentucky head to head. kentucky is in the stronger division AND they beat mississippi state AT mississippi state. it is unfortunate because it was on such a fluke play (actually several fluke plays), but all that matters is that they won.

THE GOOD NEWS:

1. the good news is that even though teams like kentucky, connecticut and pittsburgh have more opportunities to put together a better resume and get a #1 seed, they also run a better chance of stumbling along the way. if they stumble (which is VERY likely to happen at some point) and mississippi state doesn't, they will pass them. they are already higher in the rpi. if they continue to win they'll get the quality wins they need. although they only play the teams in the other division once, they still play them and still have the opportunity at big wins.

2. louisville has lost two in a row. although they can certainly get it back, they probably will not be a #1 seed in the next projection and are on the outside looking in. this is one team out of mississippi state's way.

-i should also note that i currently have mississippi state higher on the board than pitt, but that is a moot point because with the quality of competition pitt has coming up and the fact that the big east is now 1 division, pitt would pass them if they keep winning. they just aren't there yet.

i know this is a poll and that i should have an opinion, but i opted to take the easy way out and vote "not sure."

·
Registered
582 Posts
If they win out then they deserve a #1 seed IMO. Will the commitee take into account the fact that they flamed out in the first round last year? It seemed like Gonzaga eventually moved UP the seedings after a couple of years of overacheiving in the big dance... could this work AGAINST Miss St this year?

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>UKBlueInMyBlood</b>!
If they win out then they deserve a #1 seed IMO. Will the commitee take into account the fact that they flamed out in the first round last year? It seemed like Gonzaga eventually moved UP the seedings after a couple of years of overacheiving in the big dance... could this work AGAINST Miss St this year?

no. the committee never takes into consideration previous seasons. if that were the case cincinnati would be seeded around 8th or 9th every year. if anything, two years ago, gonzaga was underseeded. they were ranked #6 in the country, 28-3 on the year, and had an rpi in the 20s.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's simple: If we win out, we get the #1 seed. If we don't, we don't get it. With that said I think if we can win at Vandy and USC we'll win out, but that's a long, long shot. We got to keep playing good basketball to do that. Heck, everyone of those others games will be tough. Nothing's easy in college basketball...

·
Premium Member
10,191 Posts
MSU could get by with 1 and possibly 2 more losses and still be a #1 seed, IMO. As long as they win the SEC tourney they should be a lock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts