Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting the impression Nate isnt in love with this roster and isnt content with it the way it is. The fact of the matter is, Nate realizes we need a legit PF to backup Zach. He also must realize we need help at SG. After last nights game and our problems to score consistantly...Nate must be getting close to asking for a trade. We could do well this season but trades need to be made. Monia could be the backup but not the starter. Webster didnt even play last night which says alot vs a bad defensive team in GS. We need help.

Im not saying we are gonna trade for a star by any means cause we are rebuilding but i really think nate will want a legit starter at the 2 spot. He will also ask for a PF since Zach is gonna iss some games at some point. With theo being fragile and miles knee not looking great...i think a trade has to be on the herizon. Im also wondering if the injury prone label should be given to miles soon. Infact if the clips really are offering Maggs....we shouldnt hesitate to givem Miles. His knees are seriously becoming a concern. If only been 7 damn games.

So do you guys think Nate will pressure Nash for a trade? I cant see how he couldnt to be honest.

Again not stars but decent players that can you get 10-13 every night with assists.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Of the two, Nate is certainly in the stronger position to ask or resources from higher-ups. Whether Nash can broker a deal well remains to be seen, but if Nate asks, he'll probably be heard. Now, the question is: will Nate ask?

I'm not entirely sure. Unless Webster comes off as a complete bust (which we won't know for three years) and can't contribute at all by February 1st, we'll likely see a trade. If the wheels come off the Punsiher-mobile, and we are one SF short for a while, having that glut suddenly seems a little nicer. That Nate isn't playing a known commodity in Viktor smacks of a little player featuring (Ruben, maybe). With one extra player gone, there may be opportunities for players not playing much to show their quality.

So honestly, I'm not sure. I don't think Nate will ask just to make us better short-term. Because getting to the playoffs and getting steamrolled by San Antonio isn't anybody's idea of an awesome time. But in four or five years' time, when we're near the top and Duncan/Shaq/Wallace&Wallce are all out, and we can contend by making it to the playoffs, the lack of maneuvering and quick fixes now will seem like a good idea.

But if Nate isn't getting the effort out of a player that he wants, that might be impetus for a trade -- picks, minor player, more picks. I think Nate will ask for trades with a long future-proof value.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The trouble with asking for a trade in the "near future" is that the Blazers don't know who to trade. Do you trade Sergei Monia, knowing that he's a dependable outside scoring threat, whose size and effort make him a decent defender? Do you trade Ruben Patterson, knowing he's one of the best lead-by-example hustlers on the team? Do you trade Juan Dixon even though he's played better in two games as a Blazer than he has to date as a pro? Do you trade Steve Blake, Charles Smith, or Viktor Khryapa, knowing they have virtually no trade value thanks to their lack of PT in the league (lately, in the case of Smith)? Do you trade Travis Outlaw with his enormous potential? How about Darius, even though he's shown more consistency under McMillan than he ever did with Cheeks, or as a Cav or Clipper? Zach? Przybilla?

The only one I could see potentially trading is Theo Ratliff. But he's overpaid, and I don't think Portland would be able to get equal value in return, thanks to his recent injury history and his lack of offense.

The best course for the Blazers is to cement a good rotation, figure out who the players are to build around, and then work on trades to help the foundation. I don't see knowing the right scenario until shortly before the trade deadline, if not the end of the season.

Even though this team is clearly better - at times - than most of us fans (and pundits, and perhaps even coaches) expected, we still need to be patient. I don't expect Nate asking for a trade, or Nash initiating one, for months, unless something really unexpected happens.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disagree. Like i said, we dont need to trade for a top player to get us in the playoffs since we would get killed. I feel taht we need more scorers on this team to help the young guys all around game. telfair needs a pure SG next to him to evlevate his own game. Im not asking for Pierce...just a decent Sg. For example i think a guy like Desmond Mason would do well on the Blazers...can shoot, and can play 2 or 3 if miles was to get hurt.

Im fine with missing the post season, however i thinks its VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT to teach the young guys to win rather then losing over 50 games. With a quality Sg/PF...we could compete every night and win 35-40 games maybe.

All im saying is....i think it would help our younger guys (mainly... webster, bassy, jack) to have some veteran help around them to teach them the game while we take our lumps this year! Webster, Monia would still get minutes but at leats bassy wouldnt regress because of terrible SG play night in and night out.

All im saying is...couldnt hurt to bring in a Mason type player or Leonard type player.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
mixum said:
All im saying is....i think it would help our younger guys (mainly... webster, bassy, jack) to have some veteran help around them to teach them the game while we take our lumps this year! Webster, Monia would still get minutes but at leats bassy wouldnt regress because of terrible SG play night in and night out.
I see your point, mixum, but I'm not sure management sees it the same way. I'm not advocating management's position, but I think they're waiting, so that they don't make a mistake with a hasty trade (it's the whole "sometimes the best move is not to make a move" mentality).

I think management's faith in Nate means that they believe he can teach the Blazers' shooting guards to play the right way, same as he can teach Sebastian Telfair to develop from a talented youngster with potential to a dependable PG, and same as he can get better effort out of Darius Miles. They're asking a lot of McMillan, but so far, they've gotten a lot.

You're asking for a serviceable SG - a Desmond Mason, perhaps, and I've heard others mention Flip Murray, of course, Corey Maggette would be ideal - but I would argue that Sergei Monia or Juan Dixon, could be close to the level of Mason and Murray with the right coaching. Webster may be far better. The fear is that management would give up too much at a different position to get only marginally better at SG.

And I'm not sure that having one weak position (SG) will necessarily slow down the development of Telfair. The Blazers' offense ought to be predicated on getting the ball to Randolph and Miles, with our center ready for offensive rebounds, and both Telfair and the SG ready to knock down outside shots. Would it work better with a SG who could more reliably hit from the outside? Sure. But not if the new player took touches away from Miles and Randolph.

Like I said, you make a good argument, mixum, but I can understand why the Blazers are holding steady for the time being. And I tend to agree for now.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Mixum.

A) Thanks for finally making some well thought out posts that don't make you seem like a freak. I appreciate it.

B) We shouldn't make a trade until we KNOW what we're trading. I think that Nate probably feels the same. If we do make a trade, it will be near the deadline so we can have a lot more time to figure out what we have. Also, other teams will get more desperate near the trade deadline, so we can get better value if we do make a trade. Patterson is the only guy I think we should trade, with a guy like Blake or Smith as a throw in to make salaries match. Other than that, making a trade, even if we DO get more talent in the deal, is a bad idea. We knew we'd suck this year anyway, we shouldn't blow it by getting impatient already.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
mixum said:
I disagree. Like i said, we dont need to trade for a top player to get us in the playoffs since we would get killed. I feel taht we need more scorers on this team to help the young guys all around game. telfair needs a pure SG next to him to evlevate his own game. Im not asking for Pierce...just a decent Sg. For example i think a guy like Desmond Mason would do well on the Blazers...can shoot, and can play 2 or 3 if miles was to get hurt.

Im fine with missing the post season, however i thinks its VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT to teach the young guys to win rather then losing over 50 games. With a quality Sg/PF...we could compete every night and win 35-40 games maybe.

All im saying is...couldnt hurt to bring in a Mason type player or Leonard type player.
The question is whether you want to sacrifice giving playing time to the younger guys -- Monia, Outlaw, Webster (even though he barely plays) and the like -- for a couple more wins during the season. Nate's already said this season is being used to evaluate the players on the roster -- who's giving effort, who's showing potential, etc.

I don't think Sebastian's progress is being hindered at all either. He was single-handedly keeping us in last night's game, and has shown progress from last season.
If you bring in Desmond Mason, that doesn't solve the shooting woes at all. He's a career 26 percent 3-pt shooter. And the fact that he's 28, he's probably not the type that would teach the younger guys anything from a veteran leadership standpoint.
And bringing in Lenard.. why? To "maybe" win one or two more games this season? No thanks.. I'm appreciating the effort the young guys are giving. There are just going to be nights like Golden State, then nights like Chicago and Detroit.

·
Registered
568 Posts
This is a very respectible post from you Mixum......but I think you're trying to project your own views onto Nate to a degree. That's really the only way I see a trade being made, is if Nate demands one. But based on what's been coming out of Nate's mouth about patience and what not, I seriously doubt he will be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts