Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every win the MVP award in his ENTIRE career?

Will Paul ever get a championship? Or will he join Barkley as one of the worthy who never got there?

I think Paul has a 50/50 on the MVP, if the Celtics are winning, and long as Pierce keeps up his style of play, averaging 20+/7/6/

The championship however, I fear Pierce will be dissapointed in being on of the top 20 of all time, and never winning the crown.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think Paul Paul has a much better chance at winning a championship than winning an MVP. Same goes for pretty much anyone though. Every year 15 guys win a title, only one guy wins the MVP.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Winning an MVP is hard as heck. Can't see that happening.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
MVP is a popularity contest. He'd have a better chance of winning the Finals MVP than Regular Season MVP

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Paul could win MVP. But he has not played on teams that did well enough to warrent that type of attention. But he has it in him to be that good I think.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tragedy said:
MVP is a popularity contest. He'd have a better chance of winning the Finals MVP than Regular Season MVP
If he ever wins the Finals MVP I'll get a lot more excited than I ever would about the regular season version of the prize. Of course, in that event I'd probably have something else to get even more excited about! :biggrin:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Barkley took his phoenix team to the NBA finals and was awesome. Pierce is great but not near the level of sir charles. Pierce needs to get to the Finals and have like 5 more great years.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
if he gets traded he might win a Championship

dont see him doing it in Boston... never know tho

MVP... cant see that ever happening

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think Pierce is like Barkley in one respect, no matter how well they play there are big name players who will get more consideration for the MVP. Barkley was competing with guys named Bird, Johnson, Jordan, etc. The only way he was going to get a shot at MVP was if he had a monster year, carried his team to a championship, and those guys all had sub-par years. The odds of all those things happening at once would be like hitting the lottery.

The same goes for Pierce to some extent. Duncan is going to be among the faovrites to win the MVP as long as he plays. There are a lot of other guys (Garnett, Shaq, and to a lesser extent, Wade, Kobe and AI) who are all going to get consideration as long as they put up good numbers if for no other reason than the fact that they get more national publicity. There are few players in the league right now who consistently play as well as Pierce has played so far this season, but unless the C's catch fire and at least make it to the finals (which would be damn near impossible) Pierce isn't going to get the kind of recognition from the national media that it would take to build up support for an MVP bid.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I see Paul winning a championship before he wins MVP to be honest, he could always be traded to a better team.

For a shot at MVP, he'd have to have a 26/7/7 season and pull out many 40 point nighters like he did a few years ago when he had an over-achieving team around him. I think having a solid team around him -- like when they went to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2002 -- would help his chances, but Pierce isn't a popular guy like a Lebron, T-Mac, or A.I., he'd have to have at least a 26/7/7 season to be anywhere near a finalist for MVP, but I think realistically, he'd need more like 28/8/7 with a good playoff team to win it. Some think his best chance is already gone (see ECF in 2002).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think he's a long shot for both, but championship is a better bet than MVP.
He's not the cliche NBA poster-boy type.
Fair? Nope. Real? Yup.
If he's a Celtic for 4 more years, we can win a championship.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts