Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that through his history, Pat Riley has loved teams with a strong pointguard and a strong Center. Earlier in his career with the Heat, our team was based off a great Center who could Score, Rebound, Block, and play all around great defense. This was obviously Alonzo Mourning. Our team was also based off a great Point Guard, who could shoot, but most of all, pass the ball well. Obviously, Tim Hardaway. This was the core of the team, with other players like Eddie Jones, Mashburn and PJ Brown revolving around them.

Now, im not old enough to remember Pat's days with the Knicks and Lakers, but I do know that those teams had Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Patrick Ewing. Im not sure who the Knicks PG was during the Riley era, any help here would be appreciated.

Now, this Heat team certainly doesn't follow this PG-Center trend. Our PG, Dwayne Wade, is a slashing scorer who doesnt even lead the team in assists. Our Center is pretty much worthless (sorry Grant fans) as he can't score, and now Odom is pulling down rebounds. N

Now, Riley just stated that trades are coming, and I think noone is safe, not even Odom or Wade. Think about what he did coming in to the Heat organization. Only one player made it to the next year....Keith Askins.

I think there is going to be tons of movement soon, and that we will end up with a solid PG-Center core to build our team around, ala Timmy and Zo. Problem is, Centers are very sparse around the league, and many of them are too injury prone. (Camby, Ilgauskas, etc). I still think that Pat will make the moves necessary to land a quality handler and big man.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Good post, I think there will be some trades and Jones will be gone. Alot of teams are going to be needing Jone's services as we get closer to the trade deadline. Since there arn't many good C's we can go after, except Z and say Swift (who I really want), I think Riley will be bringing in a PG or Cap space. Our PF/C hole should be filled through the draft; there's alot of good big men in it this year.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
im prayin we get lucky in the lottery and somehow get okafor..im sold on himnow..if not we may have to trade somebody to move up to secure him

Wade
Jones
Odom
Grant
Okafor

with caron as a 6th man

as for pg, i wish we could do a deal to get one to move wade to sg, which i dont see happening. Maybe Jones for Snow and a filler. I think snow is the prefect big pg to go next to wade

Snow
Wade
Odom
Grant
Okafor

with caron as 6th which we saw yest he could be effective in

:gopray:

everybody playin their best position(im convinced Okafor is a c now) and we have a team that when gels could go far...thats what im hopin for

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about Pavel P.

You know, the 7-5 teenager (19 i think) whos still growing in Italy.

Hes Russian. Seems like tons of potential there. Hes not skinny, hes huuuge, still growing, and doesnt seem to be thaaaaat clumsy. With some training (weight and skill) he could be the man to beat. He could fall to us in the draft maybe.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also think we should draft a big man. Okafor is my selection. It would be awesome to reunite him with Caron. Our defens will be so much better and finally a back to the basket player that we need.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigWill33176</b>!
Hahaha, I jsut remembered when I made this post so I looked it up.

What a call :cool:

Discard the Pavel P post though :dead:
great call my man!
riley did move mountains to get Shaq... and in such a slick way, we're a championship contender!

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
i didnt realize we were bringing back an old post until about mid way through...

I'm like hell, we're gonna have Shaq and Zo, do we need a better center????????

hahah....good post to bring back though, we were hoping for guys like Mark Blount or Stro, and we got Diesel and Zo....we're very spoiled!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts