Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,719 Posts
Remember this is not the NFL, the worst team does not always get the #1 pick because it is a lottery. So tanking a season just increases your chances, but it does not promise anything unlike if it was the NFL, which it is not.

And remember the NBA is a professional sport, where players are paid to play basketball, it is their job, thus I do not believe they "tank". I have a little more respect for them than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,619 Posts
OZZY said:
Remember this is not the NFL, the worst team does not always get the #1 pick because it is a lottery. So tanking a season just increases your chances, but it does not promise anything unlike if it was the NFL, which it is not.
No, but tanking the '06-'07 season does guarantee you a top three pick (if you finish with the worst record; assuming no other team tanks) and considering the '07 draft has more potential franchise players, in my opinion than even the '03 draft, it's well worth it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
116,017 Posts
Premier said:
Toronto would be the perfect team for Oden.

yeah, really. that would certaintly help them out if there was any chance they'd be moved or something.
 

·
kiss my grits
Joined
·
18,595 Posts
..

I don't think anyone will outright tank. First, they aren't guaranteed the top pick. Second, they aren't guaranteed Oden will come out.

I think outside of Oden, next year's draft class is beginning to be a little overrated. I think some of these kids are really going to be exposed in college and won't be one and done like everyone expects. Even Oden is being overrated. I remember watching the McDonald's game and that idiot announcer was already anointing Oden as a Hall of Famer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
JNice said:
..
I remember watching the McDonald's game and that idiot announcer was already anointing Oden as a Hall of Famer.
yeah that gave me a good laugh.
I watched the game and he didnt look that great, he was just standing in one spot most of the time in defense puthing his hands up and getting blocks, he can really finish though, that 1 year in collage will help him alot.
 

·
Curse of the Sonics
Joined
·
20,792 Posts
Tanking is an art, and it's done by management. You don't tell your players to not try, you just put players on the court that just can't win games. Hire a passive coach who will coast through the season.

Greg Oden will be one and done. All the college talk is just to keep the school happy. You don't want a player coming in with the attitude that he is one and out. Greg Oden would be a really good NBA player now, and would have been first pick as a junior in high school. Staying in college any longer than you have to it just not smart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,018 Posts
Premier said:
No, but tanking the '06-'07 season does guarantee you a top three pick (if you finish with the worst record; assuming no other team tanks) and considering the '07 draft has more potential franchise players, in my opinion than even the '03 draft, it's well worth it.
more than '03, eh? who do you consider a potential franchise player (of those probable to be in the draft next year)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,619 Posts
iverson101 said:
To think, these days we have people calling kids stupid for leaving college early.
Risk of injury greatly outweighs any thing college offers (education, basketball growth, etc.). If you're a lock for the top five, it's not smart to return to college when you can recieve your education during the off-season.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top