Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Will there be a 1st round upset come Playoffs??

2K views 68 replies 40 participants last post by  GNG 
#1 ·
Will there be a 1st round upset come the playoffs??

Here are the seedings as of now, if so which series will go down the wire??? which team would pull off an upset??

EAST
Detroit vs. Chicago
Miami vs. Indiana
New Jersey vs. Milwaukee
Cleveland vs. Washington

WEST
San Antonio vs. Sacramento
Phoenix vs. L.A. Lakers
Denver vs. Memphis
Dallas vs. L.A. Clippers

#7 ·
I wouldn't consider Washington over Cleveland an upset. Those teams are pretty even.

Dallas is really limping into the playoffs. Van Horn is done for the year, Devin Harris and Adrian Griffin haven't played in a month, Josh Howard has been off and on hurt all year. The Clippers are a good team, it's a winnable series for them.

Miami has problems as well. Jason Williams and Alonzo will be heading into the playoffs after extended inactivity, Indiana always plays them tough, and Miami has been awful against good teams this year. People are talking about whether or not the Nets can beat Miami. They have to get to the second round first.

I'm not enamored with Phoenix or their ability to cruise by whoever they get in the first round, but I don't know if the Lakers are the team to beat them. They still play two more times this year though and we'll see where they stand.

#8 ·
Is Memphis beating Denver an upset? Doesn't Memphis have the better record? Wouldn't they have the home court? I know they are the 6 seed and Denver's the 3rd..but Memphis should be the favorite going into that series, they are really the better team going in.

And Cleveland losing to Washington isn't much of an upset, since the Cavs are inexperienced, and the teams are pretty even.

No. The upset that is going to happen is the Clippers over Dallas. Even though that's a 4/5, Dallas is actually the 2 seed, and I think the Clippers are going to take them out. I don't think the Lakers are going to do much against Phoenix, there's just too much fire power on the Suns team. Watch out for Sacremento against the Spurs. The Spurs are not as strong as their record appears, and the Kings would probably be a 5th or 6th seed if they had had Artest all year. But yeah, the Clippers.

Out east. It's tempting to say Chicago could be game for Detroit. But they have no front court, so while I expect they'll be a suprise battle, in the end the Detroit frontline will prove the diffrence. Watch out for Milwaukee in the first round. They can really push the Nets, but their lack of defense and experience would probably be their death. No, I think the upset to watch for is, whoever gets Miami in the first round between Indiana and Milwaukee. Both teams have the frontline to somewhat compete with the Heat, and both teams have the perimeter players to expose the Heat weakness. The Pacers have the playoff experience to make a war out of it, but the Bucks are actually more talented overall. But again, the lack of defense, and experience on the Bucks part, would make them ripe picking for a very veteran playoff saavy Miami team. If I were to choose an upset, which probably won't happen--it would be the Pacers beating Miami. They could really lock in on Miami, clog up the lane and force the Heat to shoot jumpers. And there is animosity between the two teams. I don't know if there's a point guard on Miami's roster to stay with any of the Pacers point guards. And there's really no one on the Heat who could really put a stop to Stephen Jackson either. Health is the main issue for both teams.

#9 ·
Indiana over Miami is certainly a possibility.

Chicago/Philly over Detroit will never happen. If it's not a sweep by Detroit then that'll be upsetting enough.

The Clippers certainly have a chance of upsetting Dallas.

Lakers/Suns could be an interesting series. Probably a few records, both team and individual will be broken.

#10 ·
Sac over San Antonio may sound completely ridiculous, but think about this: the 2 wins that came against Sactown were for a combined total of 4 points... and those were before the big trade for Artest. After the trade, Sacramento handed the Spurs a pretty hefty loss, beating them by 10, and in San Antonio. So don't count that out yet, if that turns out to be a 1st round matchup...

#11 ·
iverson101 said:
Clips can beat Dallas, Indiana can beat Miami, Memphis can beat Denver, if Kobe goes crazy you never know what will happen there, Washington can beat Cleveland

not saying any of those WILL happen, but they could
^this guy said it.
I also think milwaukee can upset... depending on how well the big guys play

#14 ·
Possibly all of them can be upsets! U never know wht will happen during the playoffs. Maybe a key player might get injured or starts going crazy and drops 40 10 10 and the underdog wins. anything can happen in the game, underdogs can win so all of the is a possibe upset..

#15 ·
The Cavs have plenty of experience for the postseason Damon Jones (Milwalkee, Miami), Eric Snow(Philly), Donyell Marshall (Utah and Toronto), Drew Gooden (Orlando), and Larry Hughes (Philly and Washington).

The Wizards playoff experience is overemphasized when most players have been to the playoffs only last year. Antonio Daniels has performed well in the playoffs with the Spurs and the Supersonics. Jamison came off the bench for the Dallas Mavericks. Aside from that, most of the players experience came last year against a Bulls team that was deterrioated by injuries and a sweep to the Miami Heat who did not have Shaq in games 3 and 4. The Wizards also lost key contributors from last years team like Hughes and Dixon and replaced them with players like Butler and Daniels.

Still, experience plays very little role in my mind if this series were to come into play since Washington's playoff experience is overstated. I also don't think Lebron's play will drastically change for the better or the worse. Whoever wins this series won't be because of experience but because they were a better team.

#16 ·
Cleveland vs. Washington
Denver vs. Memphis
Dallas vs. L.A. Clippers
These are the ones to watch. I don't think any of them would be upsets except Clippers over Dallas though. I expect all the rest of the favorites to handle their business in 4-6 games.

2nd round is where it gets fun. I'm hoping for a Cavs-Pistons, Heat-Nets 2nd round in the east. Spurs-Mavericks in the west would be great if the Mavericks get healthy. Suns and Grizzlies/Nuggets would kind of be the weak link calibur wise, none of the three teams really have any titles hopes at all, but it would be a really fun series regardless. Two exciting teams going at it.

#19 ·
is an upset in the denver/memphis series denver winning? isnt the favored team normally the one with home court.

the only upsets will be if the suns, spurs, mavs, heat, pistons, or nets lose in the first round. everything else is too close to be called an upset.

Go NeTs

#20 ·
blh5387 said:
Sac over San Antonio may sound completely ridiculous, but think about this: the 2 wins that came against Sactown were for a combined total of 4 points... and those were before the big trade for Artest. After the trade, Sacramento handed the Spurs a pretty hefty loss, beating them by 10, and in San Antonio. So don't count that out yet, if that turns out to be a 1st round matchup...
LOL!!! I love how ppl bring up regular season scenarios to mean something in the playoffs...against the defending champs. The spurs are a WHOLE different type of animal in the playoffs brother. SAc town would get swept...EASY

#23 ·
also, i see my suns as being a VERY good upset special. w/o either amare or kurt thomas we have no inside game, offensively or defensively and though the lakers aren't a big-man dominated team, they DO have a player that seems to hurt marion in the post (odom) and kobe spends a lot of time in the paint b/c of our lack of a true big man. thought it kills me to say it, i will not be surprised to see the lakers take the suns in the first round.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
PHXSPORTS4LIFE said:
omg, you're making the ref'ing excuse ALREADY? no wonder mavs fans have whiny rep . . .
<strike>Reread the post retard</strike>...I said the ONLY reason the healthy Mavs wouldnt sweep the Clips was becuase of bad refing...I never even came close to saying the Clips would win...even with the most lopsided refing seen since the Kings vs Lakers the Mavs would destroy the Clips<strike>...must be lookin for anything to type since you learned your season is destroyed, sucks to be you</strike>

You should know better than this. Keep it up, and I'll just delete your posts entirely. Much quicker for me that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.