Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

201 - 220 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
A friend of my daughter is a freshman at UNC. They were not tested upon arrival which is crazy. She said a guy in the floor below her wasn’t feeling well for a few days. He went to their health center to get tested and they wouldn’t test him. He went off campus to get tested and was positive. You would think UNC would test his suite mates? Nope. There was no scientific well thought out plan there. They had 130 rooms out of 19000 kids for positive kids. Not well thought out. They did offer a prorated credit for room and board fees for this semester.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Should we have a contest to see who can most correctly guess the last day of in-person classes in the AE this fall? My guess is Sept.18.

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
Things are going to continue to suck hard, until they no longer suck anymore*

*unless you’re AMZN

Reactions: c00per

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
*unless you’re AMZN
Boy, isn't that the truth. Up $110/share today as I type this. They are a damn machine. It is crazy. Glad to have some equity in that company...

·
Registered
467 Posts
"The school said it will switch to remote learning starting Wednesday and offer students the opportunity to cancel residence hall requests with no penalty. "

I retract my prior comment.

·
Registered
467 Posts
A friend of my daughter is a freshman at UNC. They were not tested upon arrival which is crazy. She said a guy in the floor below her wasn’t feeling well for a few days. He went to their health center to get tested and they wouldn’t test him. He went off campus to get tested and was positive. You would think UNC would test his suite mates? Nope. There was no scientific well thought out plan there. They had 130 rooms out of 19000 kids for positive kids. Not well thought out. They did offer a prorated credit for room and board fees for this semester.
That is insane. My son is at Colorado Mesa University. About 11,000 students. Everyone tested upon arrival and nobody allowed to attend until a 'negative' result comes in. Then random testing throughout the school year. He had been on campus 1 day and his girlfriend got selected for random testing (even after having been tested a few days earlier) so they are following through. Mandatory masks for all students and staff at all times. Apparently all classes with more than 17 students are on-line and those under are in-person. At least they have a plan. What is up with UNC?

As for Colorado Mesa, it is located in a county of 150,000 people. To date about 360 positive cases in the county. They, like all other schools, shut down in March so this is the return of the student population. Most are from Colorado, but they boast of having kids from all 50 states. It will be interesting to see if there is a surge there or not.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
That is insane. My son is at Colorado Mesa University. About 11,000 students. Everyone tested upon arrival and nobody allowed to attend until a 'negative' result comes in. Then random testing throughout the school year. He had been on campus 1 day and his girlfriend got selected for random testing (even after having been tested a few days earlier) so they are following through. Mandatory masks for all students and staff at all times. Apparently all classes with more than 17 students are on-line and those under are in-person. At least they have a plan. What is up with UNC?

As for Colorado Mesa, it is located in a county of 150,000 people. To date about 360 positive cases in the county. They, like all other schools, shut down in March so this is the return of the student population. Most are from Colorado, but they boast of having kids from all 50 states. It will be interesting to see if there is a surge there or not.
Colorado Mesa sounds like they have their act together! Why they are all not doing that....who knows. My daughter has two friends leaving for Wisconsin this week. No plan no testing. One of her friends went to U of Florida yesterday. Their whole plan is to have the students fill out a survey! Ohio state is randomly testing only 6500 of the 40000 students and that is the end of that.

My daughter is starting at Tufts ( provided it happens as Medford & Somerville residents are revolting). Thursday we do drop off of her stuff in her room. this is to make actual move in very quick. Starting 8/26 the “bad” state students move in and get a test first thing. Then they can’t leave their room for at least a week until 3 tests come back negative. If anybody does test positive they built modular units on the tennis courts where they will quarantine until the test negative. They are single units with a bathroom. I think there are enough for 300 students. On 9/8 the “good” state students arrive and take a test first thing. If negative they start classes etc ( about 60/40 are online or hybrid). Then going forward they take 2 tests every week. No going home for thanksgiving. Even the off campus students have to take the testing. Mandatory masks that new ones are provided everyday. That being said who knows how this will go but I feel a little more secure that they seem to have a good plan in place

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I coach high school football in New York. We just got news from the governor today. We can start practicing on Sept 21, but we cannot schedule any games this year.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
In the first week of classes the University of Alabama has tested 890 students, faculty and staff positive for COVID-19.
The school president said that this was not an indication of student failure to wear masks or keep their distance. Tuscaloosa responded to the news by requiring bars to close at midnight, but did not impose new limits on the number of patrons allowed during open hours.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
As long as the response is asymmetric, there will be some areas that are better and some that are much, much worse. While there is some wisdom in letting localities decide what works best for their communities, there really should be a minimum national standard for best practices.

Unfortunately, politics seems to have impacted the response (or lack of) in many areas. The states that already have higher incidences in their general population are not likely to magically get better when college students return to their communities.

I wonder if the NCAA has enough clout to change the way states are handling their outbreaks...

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
In the first week of classes the University of Alabama has tested 890 students, faculty and staff positive for COVID-19.
The school president said that this was not an indication of student failure to wear masks or keep their distance. Tuscaloosa responded to the news by requiring bars to close at midnight, but did not impose new limits on the number of patrons allowed during open hours.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
alabama just released that over 500 tests have come back positive in the last week.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
The latest report I have read says that the bars are now to close at 5PM and that 531 of the total positives are of students who just came to campus recently and who tested negative at that time.

201 - 220 of 275 Posts