Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
U of AZ 72
59 Posts
In the first week of classes the University of Alabama has tested 890 students, faculty and staff positive for COVID-19.
The school president said that this was not an indication of student failure to wear masks or keep their distance. Tuscaloosa responded to the news by requiring bars to close at midnight, but did not impose new limits on the number of patrons allowed during open hours.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
did it say how many were actually were experiencing serious symtoms or were hospitalized ?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I don't remember reading anything about symptoms. Tuscaloosa has since closed bars after 5 PM and the mayor did say he was worried about campus infections being transmitted to the city in general. Alabama has been hit very hard on a per-capita basis so I'm sure his residents are concerned.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I saw this late last night and couldn't get to sleep because of the implications. There is no way those infections will not propagate into the local populations since that's where the food service workers and others who interface with the students everyday, indoors and as close as you have to be to serve food. If this follows the current script, we're going to see the national number of cases rising sharply.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I saw this late last night and couldn't get to sleep because of the implications. There is no way those infections will not propagate into the local populations since that's where the food service works and others who interface with the students everyday, indoors and as close as you have to be to serve food. If this follows the current script, we're going to see the national number of cases rising sharply.
maybe we won’t see more cases registered. The incredibly baffling new direction today from the CDC says you now don’t have to even test people who have been exposed to someone who has coronavirus unless they are showing symptoms. Mind boggling. This is our CDC.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
maybe we won’t see more cases registered. The incredibly baffling new direction today from the CDC says you now don’t have to even test people who have been exposed to someone who has coronavirus unless they are showing symptoms. Mind boggling. This is our CDC.
The number of tests has been falling because the swabs and reagents are in such short supply. The CDC is probably doing the same thing that they did with face masks, creating a de-facto rationing system. Basically, they have given up on any hope of practicing public health by tracking and isolating.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
There is some better news to think about while trying to go to sleep tonight:

1. The stupid CDC testing recommendation has been recalled. It caused an uproar, especially when multiple sources at the CDC said that it was made originally due to pressure from "the highest level of the White House." It did not help that the claim of Drs. Birx and Fauci being part of the process turned out to be a lie. Fauci was in surgery during the decision meeting and Birx was not invited.

2. The COVID saliva test developed at the U of Illinois which is being used on UI students apparently works and is equal in accuracy to the standard PCR test. You drool a little saliva into a test tube and find out if you are positive a few hours later. All students have started getting tested twice per week already. The processing of the test uses no swabs or reagents, and causes no pain.

The Atlantic has an article on the test that says the intention is to have a version of the test soon where right at home you can drool into a test tube holding a piece of treated paper, and in 15 minutes you will see a colored line on the paper if you test positive. This version will cost about a dollar a shot and only be a little less accurate. Using this we could test 10's or 100's of millions of people every day and stop the virus in its tracks. It seems too good to believe, but it would allow us to get back to drinking beer with our friends and going to basketball games.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
One of the beat ways to test en masse is wastewater and universities doing that are catching outbreaks really early.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
One of the beat ways to test en masse is wastewater and universities doing that are catching outbreaks really early.
I saw that Arizona is doing this. Are others?

I also saw that Alabama is up to 1200 students testing positive in the last week. They better start doing something like this.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts

I also saw that Alabama is up to 1200 students testing positive in the last week. They better start doing something like this.
You may be missing the most important sentence of the Alabama press release.

At this point, no COVID-positive students at UA, UAB or UAH are hospitalized and there is a high overall vacancy rate (70+%) in UA System isolation spaces.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
You may be missing the most important sentence of the Alabama press release.

At this point, no COVID-positive students at UA, UAB or UAH are hospitalized and there is a high overall vacancy rate (70+%) in UA System isolation spaces.
I'm certainly happy for this, but I am concerned that infected students will pass it on to the generally older local population and the faculty/staff of the school. If anybody is infected, even if they have no symptoms, everyone is in danger of infection.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
So, in talking with someone deeply rooted within the college basketball world, I feel much more confident that we will have college basketball this year. Schools have gotten absolutely crushed with the loss of revenue and the NCAA has pretty much told conferences that it will happen this year. For the postseason, they are looking at the model the NBA has used with the bubble as well as dozens of other options. It may very well be a shortened or delayed season, but the postseason tournament will happen in one way or another.

I spoke with someone else that works at a P5 school and the numbers are quite staggering. They are currently staring at an $85M shortfall (loss of football income, scholarships that still need to be covered, debt reduction that has to be paid per contract, etc) and they have eliminated several positions, moved others to part-time, decreased salaries across the board, etc. If the NCAA hoops tournament didn't happen this year, they aren't sure what on earth would happen to their department. I could hear the concern in his voice over the phone. There is a lot of uneasiness right about now, which I'm sure we all knew was the case.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I saw that Arizona is doing this. Are others?

In a Zoom meeting I attended last week, it was mentioned that Binghamton was also doing some wastewater testing in I believe 5 different access points.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I spoke with someone else that works at a P5 school and the numbers are quite staggering. They are currently staring at an $85M shortfall (loss of football income, scholarships that still need to be covered, debt reduction that has to be paid per contract, etc) and they have eliminated several positions, moved others to part-time, decreased salaries across the board, etc. If the NCAA hoops tournament didn't happen this year, they aren't sure what on earth would happen to their department. I could hear the concern in his voice over the phone. There is a lot of uneasiness right about now, which I'm sure we all knew was the case.
Always love when $ > Health.

I get the pain - but maybe coaches shouldnt get paid millions of dollars and do players really need their own dining rooms? Time to cut a lot of the fat from college athletics.

Would love to see a bubble post season - but not sure it is worth the risk.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,731 Posts
You really need another hobby.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't know whether only athletes are subject to this, or whether they are the only ones to be checked, but it doesn't sound good.

This is not new. From what I have read on this, that can be casued by many different types of viruses and if detected, it is very treatable. I believe that it many cases it clears up on its own. Nonetheless, armed with this knowledge, I would hope that schools are testing for myocarditis and it is not so much an issue, but rather something to be on the lookout for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know whether only athletes are subject to this, or whether they are the only ones to be checked, but it doesn't sound good.

He had to clarify those comments yesterday.

???

Yeah, we should all just get on with our normal lives.....go to sporting events, theaters, fairs, etc etc........oh yeah......they're all shuttered. What's YOUR hobby these days?
Stop being overdramatic. Everyone's reality and circumstances are different. Too much effort is put into worrying about and reacting to things and current events out of our own control and not enough effort is put into acting upon things in our control. Social media and the internet in a nutshell.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
One of the things which is under our control is keeping informed on the issues at hand, so that we can at least have a chance at making good decisions. I hope that coaches and trainers stay informed about medical issues which may affect their players and themselves. The vicarious nature of fandom might make our perceived need to be informed seem useless but isn't the whole point of being a fan is that you are a part of something adventurous without actually participating? The coronavirus adds a new dimension to our fan experience because we share the same dangers as the team.

221 - 240 of 275 Posts