Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

241 - 260 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
He had to clarify those comments yesterday.

Stop being overdramatic. Everyone's reality and circumstances are different. Too much effort is put into worrying about and reacting to things and current events out of our own control and not enough effort is put into acting upon things in our control. Social media and the internet in a nutshell.
I'm being overly dramatic or providing you with facts? Are sporting events now open to fans attending? That's news to me dumbar! And how is this "out of our own control"? We choose to be safer....or act like our actions don't affect others. Are you in the latter camp?

·
Realist/A-hole
5,731 Posts
???

Yeah, we should all just get on with our normal lives.....go to sporting events, theaters, fairs, etc etc........oh yeah......they're all shuttered. What's YOUR hobby these days?
Fishing....and not dwelling on the shit I can't change.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,731 Posts
If the fish aren't biting, I dread how long it's going to be until the next time I get out there. Same as with hoops, but I have no control over what happens with hoops. So I plan what I'm going to do the next time I go fishing. I study. Fishing is the only thing keeping me sane (relative) at this point.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Man, I feel like some need to relax a little. I took the comment about a new hobby kind of tongue-in-cheek. Not sure why several are getting their panties in a bunch.

Anyway...

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Some college football is being played. I'm a big Army fan and they are heading into their second game. "IF" football can keep going, that bodes super well for college basketball.

Also, they are talking about some kind of vaccine by the end of the year, and also, the FDA just approved a $5 quick test that gives results in 15 minutes. That test should be a total game changer for every level of athletic competition. Give the test an hour before game time and, BOOM! We know who is or isn't good to go for that night's game.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm so confident that this season will start, that I am willing to bet a Vermont fan that Binghamton will not lose one game this season against Vermont, I will even go one step further and bet that Binghamton will not lose a AE play off match.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Also, they are talking about some kind of vaccine by the end of the year, and also, the FDA just approved a $5 quick test that gives results in 15 minutes. That test should be a total game changer for every level of athletic competition. Give the test an hour before game time and, BOOM! We know who is or isn't good to go for that night's game.
Wait. If someone from a team tests positive an hour before the game, wouldn't that entire team then have to be put into quarantine for 14 days thus no game that night or for the next 2 weeks? I would also assume that some of the people in the arena would also have to undergo some sort of quarantine as well seeing as they would have been in areas where the player had been. Or are you trying to factor in the vaccine that you also mentioned?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wait. If someone from a team tests positive an hour before the game, wouldn't that entire team then have to be put into quarantine for 14 days thus no game that night or for the next 2 weeks? I would also assume that some of the people in the arena would also have to undergo some sort of quarantine as well seeing as they would have been in areas where the player had been. Or are you trying to factor in the vaccine that you also mentioned?
I think the five minute test will be a game changer, but if one athlete tests positive you're still fucked. The NCAA will only allow sports under zero-risk tolerance scenarios; if there's any indication of an athlete being exposed the whole team will almost certainly be forced to pause until they're cleared with negative tests.

These quick-tests are use "antigen" technology rather than the more accurate polymerase chain reaction, or PCR. Antigen tests are faster, but even the latest and greatest can result in a sizable number of false-positives that need to be confirmed by PCR, which usually take 24 hours and need to be processed at a lab. I fear there will be a lot of stop-and-go; a false-positive test necessitating the whole team to quarantine until negative PCR tests come back. It doesn't bode well for roadtrips to Tuscaloosa or South Carolina.

·
U of AZ 72
59 Posts
I think the five minute test will be a game changer, but if one athlete tests positive you're still fucked. The NCAA will only allow sports under zero-risk tolerance scenarios; if there's any indication of an athlete being exposed the whole team will almost certainly be forced to pause until they're cleared with negative tests.

These quick-tests are use "antigen" technology rather than the more accurate polymerase chain reaction, or PCR. Antigen tests are faster, but even the latest and greatest can result in a sizable number of false-positives that need to be confirmed by PCR, which usually take 24 hours and need to be processed at a lab. I fear there will be a lot of stop-and-go; a false-positive test necessitating the whole team to quarantine until negative PCR tests come back. It doesn't bode well for roadtrips to Tuscaloosa or South Carolina.
I have read that there are a large amt. of false positives with PCR. I read IN 2007 at Dartmouth it gave a false positive on another virus which resulted in a huge amt of further testing , restrictions and expense before they discovered it was a false positve.

·
U of AZ 72
59 Posts
I have read that there are a large amt. of false positives with PCR. I read IN 2007 at Dartmouth it gave a false positive on another virus which resulted in a huge amt of further testing , restrictions and expense before they discovered it was a false positive.
Further clarification it was a bacterium Whooping cough and 1000 staff were furloughed until test results were in and later found nobody had it. I don't have a lot of faith in a lot of this process or info. we are getting .

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not saying it's all about money with schools right now... but it's hard not to seem that way.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Not saying it's all about money with schools right now... but it's hard not to seem that way.

The UVM Pres tweeted testing results last Friday...13,634 students tested since 8/7/20. 12 positives. That is a rate under 0.1% which is significantly better than the general population of Vermont.

Color me cautiously optimistic...UVM is a medical school after all...I'd think that they should know how to test, trace and treat.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yep. I don't see UVM closing. Why close when everything has been going better than plan? I don't get why people are still rooting for colleges to close. It's a completely politically-motivated take. These people just want someone to blame.

·
Gr8t Dane
711 Posts
Potential plan for a non-conference schedule...

Plan includes: UAlbany and Stonybrook currently. This combines multiple pre-season tournament games into a "bubble" at Mohegan Sun:
Link to article:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yep. I don't see UVM closing. Why close when everything has been going better than plan? I don't get why people are still rooting for colleges to close. It's a completely politically-motivated take. These people just want someone to blame.
If you read the article, you will see that they are ceasing testing on the same exact day as the withdrawal deadline.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
SUNY has a COVID-19 cases dashboard COVID-19 Tracker - SUNY and both Albany and SBU are doing at least as well as UVM, but Bing is running a little hot with about the same as the others combined.

A strategy that seems to have been accepted by many schools is to show that, after a blip of positive cases when the students return, if new cases found by generous testing finds few positives then the testing can be rolled back to a small sample that shows if there is an increase in activity. Poop sampling is also assumed to be applied at all schools. If the cases stay down classes will continue and the students will be praised. If not, the students go home and classes go online.

This seems fair to me. The schools show that it is possible to have classes and students on campus in time for somone to make an informed decision about whether to take the money and go home to wait it out, or not. From what I've seem driving through the campus, UVM students are being very careful about masking, and I expect the same is true at other AE schools. If it continues I am feeling our chances of seeing at least conference play online streaming are better than I had thought.

·
Registered
155 Posts
SUNY has a COVID-19 cases dashboard COVID-19 Tracker - SUNY and both Albany and SBU are doing at least as well as UVM, but Bing is running a little hot with about the same as the others combined.
To me it looks like Albany is running a little hot (if looking at default last 2 weeks).
Albany - 1.42% positive (493 tested)
Binghamton - 0.77% positive (915 tested)
SBU - 0.33% positive (609 tested)

Binghamton also has had its own dashboard in place since they began testing all residential students (it is a little easier to read than the SUNY version)
COVID-19 Testing Data Dashboard - Restarting Binghamton | Binghamton University

·
Registered
561 Posts
UVM positivity: 0.09%

UVM is also testing (every student mandatory 2x weekly) at a higher rate than most public schools are, which both drives down positivity rate but also increases cases ("We have so many cases because we do so much testing" someone once said...)

Likewise, the SUNY testing looks really low. In last two weeks UVM runs about 21,000 tests every two-weeks on the ~11,000 undergrads who came back to campus (down from 12,500 in a normal year). Albany, is about 50% larger than UVM in terms of enrollment, but is doing a fraction of the testing. Not good if student compliance breaks down and kids party.

241 - 260 of 275 Posts