Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

261 - 280 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Well, appears as though the Big Ten is going to play football after all, beginning the weekend of October 24th. It would seem that basketball will be able to at least start and have some semblance of a season based on this. Course, that is provided there is not a massive outbreak all of a sudden after a couple of weekends.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well, appears as though the Big Ten is going to play football after all, beginning the weekend of October 24th. It would seem that basketball will be able to at least start and have some semblance of a season based on this. Course, that is provided there is not a massive outbreak all of a sudden after a couple of weekends.
The SEC and ACC are already playing with ZERO issues and are playing (with fans!) in states with significant higher case loads than the midwest (while the Media like to talk up the "Surge" in the midwest, that surge only pertains to Iowa/Dakotas; the core B1G markets of Ohio, PA, Michigan have virus under better control than south and west).

Gretchen Whitmer's failed attempt at canceling the Big Ten season in its entirety was politically driven. It had nothing to do with COVID or health and safety. Dr Fauci himself said we should have sports (with masked and socially distanced, outdoor fans) on multiple occasions.

Gov Whitmer and to a lesser extent Gov Pritzker tried forcing the Commissioner to cancel the season for electoral politics as they think it will play into Biden's favor if they can pull the "B1G football had to be cancelled because of Trump's incompetence."

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you read the article, you will see that they are ceasing testing on the same exact day as the withdrawal deadline.
Hmm.... "UVM testing protocols to be extended through Nov. 1"

Doesn't quite fit the "We need to repopulate the school to rake in the tuition money, then we shut it down" conspiracy theory. UVM has (partially) reopened to serve their mission. The results speak for themselves: 0.06% positivity rate and only 15 cases (only two active!) after testing each student multiple times.

Maybe schools like Harvard and Penn, than either haven't reopened, or are reopening to a much lower extent, are really doing it for political reasons?

It's not hard not to compare Harvard (very limited reopening, 100% remote classes) to Northeastern (near-full reopening, 3x the number of undergrads, likely less disciplined than Ivy League nerds, etc) and continue to defend Harvard's decision when Northeastern has had no outbreaks (though they've suspended a number of first-year students for partying) and a successful start to the semester.

Harvard's decision was either foolish or politically motivated; but I'm not going to tolerate people who are still out there rooting for colleges to shut down for political reasons.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It appears that college hoops is going to begin on Nov. 25. IDK what that means for Vermont's schedule. As of now, thery don't have one on their website.

·
Registered
592 Posts
One of the under appreciated challenges of leadership is having to make decisions with very imperfect information in situations where the payoff profile is heavily skewed to one side. If you open and everything goes fine, everyone gives you a pat on the ass and says “Glad that worked out!”. If you open and everything goes sideways, you get completely lit up.

As with a lot of the schools in the south, there are probably some political elements that indirectly influenced the Harvard decision. Ivy League faculties are a pretty liberal bunch and Massachusetts is not exactly red. Beyond that, Harvard also has way more financial flexibility than most other schools when considering a decision like this.

In reality, I don’t think there was a “right“ answer to this in the middle of the summer when decisions had to be made. As a parent of a kid who is in college, I certainly did not envy the leaders of her school as they tried to decide what to do.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would say that it is doubtful that the Ivy league plays more than their conference slate this year if they play at all. They could still qualify for the tournament if the get 13 games in during the regular season. If they only play conference games it would leave a rather large hole in AE schedules assuming the league does play and does't decide to go conference only.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm curious with Cuomo travel restrictions to certain states, if that will limit the schedule Binghamton, Albany and SBU can go to (or accept at home)?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Beyond that, Harvard also has way more financial flexibility than most other schools when considering a decision like this.
Bam! Most things in life are about money. Even the things you think are about anything else are kind of about money. In this case, it affords you the luxury of being able to make an overly-cautious decision knowing you're not worried about having to lock your doors for good.

Was it more caution than necessary? It's easy to say "yes," but the answer is "we don't know." Because we have no way of knowing how things would have gone any more than we could predict how our team would have done if it wasn't for an injury, etc. Because we've seen a pretty wide range of results across the country...and it's only the middle of September. I'm glad things are going well at UVM (so far, so good anyway). I'm sorry things went sideways at places like UNC. I'm rooting for all schools to be able to pull this off, as long as they're actually able to pull it off.

Ultimately...and this is the kind of thing you can only say when you're made of money...the only thing this cost Harvard was money. It certainly didn't hurt their standing in the world, not among people whose opinions they value. They're still Harvard, and are still gonna be Harvard.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
The SEC and ACC are already playing with ZERO issues and are playing (with fans!) in states with significant higher case loads than the midwest (while the Media like to talk up the "Surge" in the midwest, that surge only pertains to Iowa/Dakotas; the core B1G markets of Ohio, PA, Michigan have virus under better control than south and west).

Gretchen Whitmer's failed attempt at canceling the Big Ten season in its entirety was politically driven. It had nothing to do with COVID or health and safety. Dr Fauci himself said we should have sports (with masked and socially distanced, outdoor fans) on multiple occasions.

Gov Whitmer and to a lesser extent Gov Pritzker tried forcing the Commissioner to cancel the season for electoral politics as they think it will play into Biden's favor if they can pull the "B1G football had to be cancelled because of Trump's incompetence."
Keep that to yourself. I am in no way interested in your political opinion on this board.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
So, it appears the trend now is to change your mind about playing football...UMass has changed course and will play a limited football schedule. I can't wait to see it. I mean, they are independent. I think the ACC and SEC have allowed for a single out of conference game but not sure about that. Will they be allowed to travel to some of these states? I assume they are looking to try and get some checks from some schools, but how much money do some of them really have to be throwing around right now?

UMass to play football

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
The MAAC has announced how their 2020-21 men's & women's basketball schedules will look now that there is an official start date of Nov. 25th.

Here's a snippet:
Nonconference games will take place between Nov. 25 and Dec. 6, with conference play beginning in men's basketball on Dec. 8 and women's basketball on Dec. 9. After two weeks of conference games, there will be a two-day nonconference window on Dec. 22-23 before conference play resumes after Christmas.

Men's teams will play on Tuesdays and Fridays, and women's teams will play on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The model also provides for a makeup week in late February in case the coronavirus pandemic affects the schedule.
Full article: MAAC scheduling

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Read an article where all sorts of schools are exploring the option of having a bubble-type environment at/near their campuses. I have a feeling we are going to see some very unique schedules this year.

It also said one conference was considering splitting their league up into 3 groups of 4 and sending each group to a single site for round robin games over a set period of time. Then, 2 weeks later, re-arranging them and sending them off again, etc.

This is going to be very interesting to say the least.

Reactions: FearThePenmen

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
If there were 4 groups of 3 teams each I think that might make payoffs easier. The problem in all cases is which teams to group together.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Of course, the biggest problem is that AE has 10 teams. Sounds like sounds like 2 5-team bubbles with a 4 team playoff bubble might work.

261 - 280 of 314 Posts