Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

281 - 300 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Very interesting article. Obviously we all know that there is the potential for lots of games to be postponed/canceled, but this really spells it all out. Interesting that most of the big conferences will probably avoid playing the smaller leagues due to their inability to test as often.

2020-21 season

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
I'd like to see a one time agreement between AE & the NEC this season. We have 10 teams....they have 10 teams. Do a 5 game H & H with them plus the 18 game league schedule. Keep $$$ games if it is possible and call it a day. It would give every school from both leagues 14 home games and a very tight geography travel wise.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I'd like to see a one time agreement between AE & the NEC this season. We have 10 teams....they have 10 teams. Do a 5 game H & H with them plus the 18 game league schedule. Keep $$$ games if it is possible and call it a day. It would give every school from both leagues 14 home games and a very tight geography travel wise.
I think the limit is 27 games. I like the thought but it couldn't be 10 games vs NEC and 18 games vs AE. You could do 2 home/home situations (easy math and even across the board) cross league:

Merrimack & Bryant - Maine & UNH
CCSU & Sacred Heart - Vermont & Lowell
St. Francis (NY) & Wagner - Hartford & Albany
Long Island & FDU - Stony Brook & NJIT
St. Francis (PA) & Mt St Mary's - UMBC & Binghamton

I mean, all schools are fairly close when it comes to the NEC, so if some modification needs to made (like if Merrimac and Lowell are desperate to play...or Sacred Heart/CCSU and Hartford) it could be done.

Anyway, that would give every school 22 games to start with 11 being at home. That's a good jumping off point and would give schools a chance to add some money games if possible. I also think it's better to leave a little room in the schedule in case some games have to get moved, which is probably highly likely.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
sprinkle in some Ivy league games in there too... maybe the MAAC as well...
Problem with Ivy is that as of right now, they aren't playing any sport until after January 1st. Don't think they would be an option. Plus, I am guessing our member schools are going to need to find at least 1 or 2 pay games if not more. With the number of mid-majors in the northeast, I imagine BC, UMass, Providence, URI, UConn, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Syracuse are being inundated with calls from all of them trying to get on their schedules.

Reactions: RazorRamon

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah the Ivys have no plans to play non conference games this season. I could see teams that are traveling to tournaments trying to get $$ games around that.

·
6,051 Posts
I think the limit is 27 games. I like the thought but it couldn't be 10 games vs NEC and 18 games vs AE. You could do 2 home/home situations (easy math and even across the board) cross league:

Merrimack & Bryant - Maine & UNH
CCSU & Sacred Heart - Vermont & Lowell
St. Francis (NY) & Wagner - Hartford & Albany
Long Island & FDU - Stony Brook & NJIT
St. Francis (PA) & Mt St Mary's - UMBC & Binghamton

I mean, all schools are fairly close when it comes to the NEC, so if some modification needs to made (like if Merrimac and Lowell are desperate to play...or Sacred Heart/CCSU and Hartford) it could be done.

Anyway, that would give every school 22 games to start with 11 being at home. That's a good jumping off point and would give schools a chance to add some money games if possible. I also think it's better to leave a little room in the schedule in case some games have to get moved, which is probably highly likely.
I think the limit is 29, so this might be good.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I thought they lowered it to 27 this year because of the later start date. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time lol.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Patriot is out of non-conference play.

Wow, with the Ivy and now the Patriot out of play, Jeff's thoughts about striking up the deal with the NEC might actually come to fruition if both leagues are hell bent on playing non-conference games. I don't know how many money games each of their schools play in a given year, but there goes more potential revenue to them. I guess that does also present more opportunities for the conferences that are planning on playing as many games as possible.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The problem is buy games aren’t really going to be available this year. High majors are hurting financially and don’t have the means to buy home games this season. The expected cap on indoor events (meaning no fans) dries up a major revenue stream. College basketball at the high major level depends so much more on ticket sales (as opposed to tv contracts) than other sports do.

Then there is the health standards teams will have to adhere to, limiting OOC play for all conferences. I bet a lot of mid majors are going to be “hell bent” on getting a pay day, but they won’t find many options.

at this point, between the UVM scandal (is it weird that there’s been no word on that, or at least a rumor, in the last two weeks?) and the coronavirus I’m getting a lot more pessimistic about the season. Or at least having a meaningful season.

·
Registered
362 Posts
(Is it weird that there’s been no word on that, or at least a rumor, in the last two weeks?)
What kind of word are you looking for? A student athlete was raped by a member of men's basketball. If you do enough digging, it's quite clear which basketball player was involved. I doubt the university will comment until a lawsuit is brought against them.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What kind of word are you looking for? A student athlete was raped by a member of men's basketball. If you do enough digging, it's quite clear which basketball player was involved. I doubt the university will comment until a lawsuit is brought against them.
Was raped and accusing someone of rape are two different things. Maybe it is accurate, maybe not. How would you or I know? Unless you are the accuser or until it is determined that it was in fact rape (ie - a jury finds it was rape or there is an admission by the player), I don't think we should affirmatively say it was rape.

·
6,051 Posts
Was raped and accusing someone of rape are two different things. Maybe it is accurate, maybe not. How would you or I know? Unless you are the accuser or until it is determined that it was in fact rape (ie - a jury finds it was rape or there is an admission by the player), I don't think we should affirmatively say it was rape.
This part of the conversation needs to go into the other thread.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
He needs to be brought to justice, walks around the campus like he owns the place and what did the AD say to that young lady well people pay money to see him play. Disgusting. I hope she files a lawsuit against him and the University and Becker should be fired. He's the head of the program this happened on his watch he needs to be held responsible.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
So, back to the thread topic...

I thought they lowered it to 27 this year because of the later start date. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time lol.
Turns out you and I were both wrong. Normally they can schedule 28 games, but play in an MTE that will only count as 1 game, taking it up to 29 officially, though most likely it's 30 or 31.

At any rate, the NCAA lowered it to 24 for this upcoming season If playing in an MTE that includes up to 3 games or 25 if the MTE is only 2 games or 25 games if the team does not play in an MTE.

In women's basketball, they can schedule 23 if playing in an MTE that includes up to 4 games, otherwise they can schedule 25 if not involved in an MTE.

So, having said that, an agreement with the NEC like I mentioned earlier with the 5 sets of schools and the home/home arrangement would be perfect, taking all the schools to 22 games. That gives some room to try and find a pay game or 2 (they will most likely be scarce) and/or possibly an MTE in a "bubble" setting somewhere. But with all this crazy stuff going on, I do hope Amy and her staff are looking at trying to help all the programs with their scheduling situation. This would go a long way IMO.

·
6,051 Posts
Honestly, I love it. When things get back to normal, we could bring in a third 10-team conference; get a little variety in our schedules.

281 - 300 of 314 Posts