Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

301 - 314 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
"At any rate, the NCAA lowered it to 24 for this upcoming season If playing in an MTE that includes up to 3 games or 25 if the MTE is only 2 games or 25 games if the team does not play in an MTE. "

I'm confused, which is becoming a more common occurance as I work my way through this life. Are you saying that if a team plays in an MTE that is 3 games then that counts as 1 game? So, for example, UVM plays the Gulf Coast Showcase which is 3 games, that counts as 1, so in effect UVM will have 26 games (23 plus "1" game for the 3 game tournament")?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Yes, an MTE has always counted as 1 game but it appears as though they make differences based on number of games you get in the event. I understand the confusion.

·
6,051 Posts
but Odom said there have been discussions to possibly pump up the league schedule to 22 games to alleviate some of the non-conference scheduling headaches.

·
Registered
581 Posts
not surprised. If we manage any non-conference games they aren’t going to be sexy. Any non-conference an AE club manages to schedule will be something along the lines of UVM or UNH vs BU or Northeastern. Albany vs Siena, Hartford vs Quinnipiac, etc. Bland vanilla OOC match ups against run-of-the-mill mediocre midmajors located within our region. So if we can’t play high majors or out-of-region elite mid-majors, then why bother scheduling any?

If we can’t play OOC then a 22 or even 27 game in-conference season is better than 18.

·
6,051 Posts
I like it myself. If UMBC manages to get into that MTE at Maryland, or if Georgetown (originally on UMBC's schedule) manages to put one together that we can get in, combined with an expanded conference schedule, we may have a full season yet.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I highly doubt UMBC will be able to pull off a schedule with Maryland, given how uneasy Maryland was about signing onto Big 10 football this season. If they had reservations about playing in-conference football against trustworthy peer high-majors with robust testing protocols, why the hell would they schedule an indoor basketball game against us lowly out-of-conference midmajors?

If UMBC is able to schedule any non-conference games it's more likely to be Towson, maybe Howard or Delaware, etc... nothing sexy. I just don't see any scenario where any AE team is able to schedule a high-major this year. Maybe UVM pulls off a fixture with Bonaventure, Lowell is able to schedule UMass, Stony Brook/Fordham... but I can't imagine we're going to see anything higher than A10. The high-majors have literally nothing to gain from scheduling mid-major buy games this season.

Sorry to be such a pessimist as I hope I'm wrong about this.

·
6,051 Posts
No, you don’t have to apologize, it is a pipe dream. But the article did suggest they may keep the MTE against local teams, and other than Georgetown, whom they’ve refused to schedule for 30+ years, only mid- and low-major teams can be considered local.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I highly doubt UMBC will be able to pull off a schedule with Maryland, given how uneasy Maryland was about signing onto Big 10 football this season. If they had reservations about playing in-conference football against trustworthy peer high-majors with robust testing protocols, why the hell would they schedule an indoor basketball game against us lowly out-of-conference midmajors?
While I agree about pay games being pretty much non-existent this year (I've said that multiple times in various threads), I would argue that there is HUGE difference between flying your 100ish member football program to Chicago, staying in a hotel, etc. than your 25ish member basketball program staying in their own room/apartment and remaining in a controlled environment that they have been in for a couple of months by then. They can also mandate that as part of the agreement the teams coming in for the event need to conduct a certain amount of tests prior to the games. In other words, they have much more control of everything than they would if they had to travel to Chicago, Newark, Ann Arbor and Columbus with a huge group of people.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Couple of conferences have either released or given a glimpse into what their conference game schedules will be and they are definitely going to look a lot different this year:

The CAA will continue an 18-game league schedule but will have a different format this year. To assist with limiting travel and helping assist the health and safety of student-athletes, coaches and staff, teams will play the same opponent at the same site on consecutive days. There will be one exception, when a team plays its designated travel partner; that weekend, each team will play one home game and one road game.
The traditional home-and-home schedule will go out the door for this upcoming season.
As an example, North Dakota State would travel to North Dakota and play the Fighting Hawks twice inside the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center for the regular-season contests.

“Teams will play on back-to-back days,” said Summit League assistant commissioner for communications Ryan Powell. “Each team is going to receive a bye, we have nine teams in our league so there will be one bye week for everybody.”
I wonder if Amy and company will do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
According to the Zoom session held with Coach Herrion and his staff last week the AE is supposed to vote on and release the schedule sometime this week. I guess they have 5 different models that the Presidents and AD's are voting on. I know one thing Coach made very clear was that UNH would not let them play any schools that don't have the same level of testing they have in Durham. It sounds like a lot of schools have called UNH to learn how about the protocols they've put in place for the campus community.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts

The highlights: 18-game schedule, played on Saturdays and Sundays, with Team A hosting Team B for the entire weekend (ex: Albany comes to Vermont, plays at Patrick on back-to-back days). Starting weekend December 19/20.

301 - 314 of 314 Posts