Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

321 - 340 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
What did he say? I did see that he has ordered bars closed as of tomorrow night at 10 and that no more gatherings, either in or out doors are allowed and that he plans on deploying the state police among other resources to do spot checks.
Consider the source, our resident reactionary idiot. All he said was recreational sports are put on hold, so you can't go play in your pickup basketball or hockey league. Also, you can't go to your deer camps this year with people outside your household (this is going to be what gets most Vermonters pissed). All sports sanctioned by the VPA (which governs HS sports) would be allowed to continue. There was nothing regarding college sports shut downs mandated by the state at this time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What did he say? I did see that he has ordered bars closed as of tomorrow night at 10 and that no more gatherings, either in or out doors are allowed and that he plans on deploying the state police among other resources to do spot checks.
All organized sports are indefinitely suspended. It wasn't clear if there was a carve out for NCAA teams with testing protocols, but there were other, similar hypothetical situations that were laid out, and Scott said a hard "No" on all of them. Though target is certainly youth (and adult) hockey which has been a major spreader all across New England, both in breakdowns during play, but also associated activities (team dinners, carpooling, parents chatting while their kids are practicing in the rink, etc) which were supposed to be banned but will inevitably occur when you open the door to hockey. I'm hoping there will be an exemption for college sports, but then if they award a waiver you have an optics situation (some version of "My eight-year-old has been in Zoom class for eight months and college kids get to live out their dreams!").

The new restrictions are needed given the rapid rise over the last two weeks and we're (thankfully) still at a point where we could sequester this thing with harsh restrictions. But unfortunately I think a lot of this will be fruitless as it depends on compliance from the citizenry, and the governor admitted himself that the ban on gatherings will be "virtually unenforceable."

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
All sports sanctioned by the VPA (which governs HS sports) would be allowed to continue. There was nothing regarding college sports shut downs mandated by the state at this time.
If HS sports are allowed to continue, I'm sure college are as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
619 Posts
Consider the source, our resident reactionary idiot. All he said was recreational sports are put on hold, so you can't go play in your pickup basketball or hockey league. Also, you can't go to your deer camps this year with people outside your household (this is going to be what gets most Vermonters pissed). All sports sanctioned by the VPA (which governs HS sports) would be allowed to continue. There was nothing regarding college sports shut downs mandated by the state at this time.

Ahh, I didn't see the piece regarding VPA sanctioned. That's encouraging and makes sense as there's a greater degree of enforcement as it's managed by the State Department of Education compared to the hodgepodge of youth hockey leagues (and it sounds like bowling leagues too, which I imagine fall more into the "Drinking league with a bowling problem" category).

There are people (in politically powerful positions) who sought to politicize Todd Woodcroft's hiring and thought his salary was "too high" (disregarding the fact that his salary is roughly a $50K discount vs Sneddon's contract). We're breaking our backs on this board trying to help UVM become the Gonzaga of New England but just fighting an uphill battle with the state's political leaders who want UVM demoted to the D3 level.

I trust the governor's instincts, but I worry he'll cave into the mounting pressure of "If you shut one down, you'll have to shut it all down."

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
5. Recreational Sports. All recreational sports programs, including organized and/or informal recreational youth and adult league sports, practices, games and tournaments, are hereby suspended. This suspension shall not apply to school-sponsored sports activities which are subject to applicable Agency of Education Guidance.

Maine has basically the same right now.

·
Registered
619 Posts
And there we have it. Thank you for providing something factual instead of just throwing out an interpretation.
Like I said, I just listened had the conference playing on WCAX in the background while i work in my basement. Never said it was fact. I just heard the piece about sports' suspensions and got scared. Then the draconian inter-household gathering restrictions (which includes deer camps--season begins tomorrow--which are usually extended-family affairs and thus break the inter-household component even though the families themselves are related to one another) didn't give me confidence.

Thank you to Catpower for clarifying this and finding the actual executive orders.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
The "organized" part is where kids show up in their 3 sizes too big team t-shirts and the Celtics v Nets are on ct 1 while the Spurs v Jazz game is on ct 2. "Informal" would be all 4 and 5 yr old kids show up at the gym and 5 are given yellow pinnies and they line up 10 kids on ct 1 to run around while on ct 2, 5 kids get blue pinnies and those 10 there run around for a while.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I know that Marquette was shut down (men and women) for 2 weeks but I think they are back at it now. Purdue was delayed a week before beginning practice.

To say it will be a crazy year is an understatement.

*Edit - this week's college football schedule is Example A:

Games postponed/canceled for today:.
No.1 Alabama @ LSU
No.3 Ohio State @ Maryland
No.5 Texas A&M @ Tennessee
No.12 Georgia @ Missouri
No.15 Coastal Carolina @ Troy
No.24 Auburn @ Mississippi State
Gardner-Webb @ Charlotte
North Texas @ UAB
Rice @ Louisiana Tech
Memphis @ Navy
Pitt @ Georgia Tech
Air Force @ Wyoming
Cal @ Arizona State
Utah @ UCLA
UL-Monroe @ Arkansas State

That is 30 teams right there, including 3 Top 5 teams. There are only 130 FBS teams I believe. That means about 23% of all teams are on the sidelines due to covid, assuming all 130 teams were scheduled to be on the field this week.

I will say that I have not heard a single word spoken about canceling college football despite the number of games that have been affected thus far. It would appear that they are going to keep marching toward the bowl season and FBS championship game.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Jeff Goodman did a podcast interview with a UConn beat writer. The first segment is about Covid and his skeptism on a season, not just for the obvious concerns of spread but the total lack of planning and consistency across the board. Worth the listen https://soundcloud.com/user-995951947%2Fuconn-mens-basketball-stadiums-jeff-goodman-joins-the-show
A few highlights:

- Goodman believes all of NCAA should have just done conference play only (he talks strategy on how to fill out a tourney field if there is one, short of it is do average # of bids over 5 year period and lock in, plus equity for at large mid majors who aren't conference champs this year...maybe like a best overall ranking of those who didn't win outright? Lots of avenues)

- The NCAA haven't decided the minimum # of eligible players a team can use to play a game yet, especially if team is cleared to return to practice but any number of players are not cleared to return to team activities because of positive tests or exposure.

- The inconsistency and preparidness in testing protocols and process by individual schools and conferences from top down is leading to events falling apart/teams dropping out

- Most teams only testing once a week currently and at least among the power teams it goes to 3 times a week when play begins, and they have ways of manipulating the contact tracing (I don't know how this works specifically but this is hardly shocking), but when the testing goes up, they won't be able to manipulate it and likely will lead to more teams having positive tests and having to cancel games

- Mid-majors are struggling because there's less resources to avoid shut downs, less people on coaching/support staffs to stay on top of athletes Goodman guesses as to why those schools are the vast majority of those paused for positive cases

- Goodman addresses Mohegan Sun. Says he's torn on going, but thinks it's unrealistic to expect all those teams are going to fully be able to control the environment for the week.

- Brings up a good point that Mohegan has teams from 15 different states, says things are going to go forward and be "a complete shitshow" (which has been his stance for a while if you follow him on twitter...takes a nice unnamed shot at Rothstein too)

- Says referees have literally no clue about their protocols and processes right now, and haven't heard a thing from NCAA or conferences. One ref was told they're going to give them 20 games and 40 home test kits, and FedEx themselves...asks how the hell that's going to work because if a ref does a game Saturday and a game Monday there is no way he'll get the results back in time.

- Goodman says from the start it should have been regionalized single site setups that are controlled where all New England schools only quarantine for a week, then play games to knock non conference out in about a 10 day period (though, this easily could have fallen apart too, but he's right in that why the hell is Arizona State coming to Connecticut for Mohegan)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Just saw wbng (binghamton outlet) video that the players are excited about the upcoming season. The posts a couple above this say Albany and Lowell are on pause, so how does this season even work? Also the in the video they said they wanted to play OCC schedule, but none is posted, is this even realistic?

here's the video: Video

·
Registered
604 Posts
Not surprisingly, given the pause they were under, Albany’s first few games were officially canceled. A handful of others nationally are canceling games as well, like DePaul. But, knock on wood, six days out from tip, there are still a lot of games on the schedule. I still think it is going to be challenging to get to the finish line, but for now Kansas vs. Gonzaga on Thanksgiving evening is something to shoot for.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hartford women have had a tough go with covid. A few shutdowns and now on nov 12 had another positive test which shuts them down again until nov 25. Their first game was supposed to be dec 4 and now is moved to Dec 19.

the Hartford men have ( knock on wood) no issues so far. They are scheduled to start next Wednesday against Merrimack but we will see.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Not surprisingly, given the pause they were under, Albany’s first few games were officially canceled. A handful of others nationally are canceling games as well, like DePaul. But, knock on wood, six days out from tip, there are still a lot of games on the schedule. I still think it is going to be challenging to get to the finish line, but for now Kansas vs. Gonzaga on Thanksgiving evening is something to shoot for.
BC vs Villanova and Baylor vs Arizona State Thanksgiving eve will be nice to see college hoops on TV, but that Gonzaga vs Kansas game should be excellent.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just happened to flip on the Georgia vs. Mississippi State football game hosted by Georgia. It’s stunning how many fans they let into that stadium. It’s on SEC Network if you get that channel.

Nearly 200,000 cases nationally on Friday alone would lead me to think that no fans should be in any stadium right now.

It‘s one thing to debate whether it makes sense to play games with some risk of players getting infected and spreading it. But this just seems patently stupid to me.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well, now I’m watching Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State which is at least as bad. So at this point I’m going to just take it for what it is and watch the games without thinking about the related stupidity.

·
6,069 Posts
I just happened to flip on the Georgia vs. Mississippi State football game hosted by Georgia. It’s stunning how many fans they let into that stadium. It’s on SEC Network if you get that channel.

Nearly 200,000 cases nationally on Friday alone would lead me to think that no fans should be in any stadium right now.

It‘s one thing to debate whether it makes sense to play games with some risk of players getting infected and spreading it. But this just seems patently stupid to me.
You have to remember, there are people in that part of the country who still think that the virus was some made up story to make Trump look bad.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hartford men

2:00 PM Wednesday against Merrimack

8:00 PM Friday against UConn

Hartford women on pause due to positive covid case on 11/12. Delayed their start until 12/19.

321 - 340 of 356 Posts