Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

341 - 360 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I've lost track of what info should go in what thread at this point, but Florida is pausing activities, which means it's pulled out of Mohegan Sun. That means the game Wednesday with Lowell is off.

Makes me wonder if Virginia will still make the trip if their only game will be vs Maine. My understanding is they had/have some teams on stand-by in the event this happened, but I highly doubt they are of the caliber of Florida.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Makes me wonder if Virginia will still make the trip if their only game will be vs Maine. My understanding is they had/have some teams on stand-by in the event this happened, but I highly doubt they are of the caliber of Florida.
I don't have the link handy, but it sounds like last night...based on the Covid issues Baylor is having with coach Scott Drew...Arizona State is pulling out of the Baylor game specifically. Perhaps UVA has an opportunity to work in a game with ASU, or Baylor if they feel it's safe?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I don't have the link handy, but it sounds like last night...based on the Covid issues Baylor is having with coach Scott Drew...Arizona State is pulling out of the Baylor game specifically. Perhaps UVA has an opportunity to work in a game with ASU, or Baylor if they feel it's safe?
I feel like those teams need to just get there, isolate and then try to play as many games as they can within that 10 or 11 day period. Who cares who you play as it is truly going to be a test just to get games in. Wouldn't surprise me if at some point the NCAA hits the pause button on hoops for a couple weeks during the season so everyone can kinda regroup.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
So, on the women's side, UConn just paused their program for 14 days, which impacts Maine as they were going to be playing in an event with them at the Mohegan Sun. They have cancelled a few games and rescheduled one. There are tons of cancellations all over the place, which is not unlike what has gone on with football and was to be expected quite honestly.

It certainly appears that getting through this season is going to be a daunting task.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
661 Posts
So, on the women's side, UConn just paused their program for 14 days, which impacts Maine as they were going to be playing in an event with them at the Mohegan Sun. They have cancelled a few games and rescheduled one. There are tons of cancellations all over the place, which is not unlike what has gone on with football and was to be expected quite honestly.

It certainly appears that getting through this season is going to be a daunting task.
these cancellations can be expected, and likewise are not disappointing. BUT they’re at least trying to play, and are pausing because they’re following protocols, not for preemptive measures or to make some pathetic political statement (lets be real here: the Ivy League just wanted to be patronizing to us normies, and they were willing to throw their student-athletes under the bus so they could be patronizing).

I am not that upset UVM pulled out of the Mohegan Sun. We know it was going to be a shitshow and even if you get some games in, the risk of coming back testing positive and pausing the whole program for 7-14 days is quite high. I am upset that UVM pulled out of hockey East Preemptively. I was infuriated when Umass and UConn played each other after Maine and UVM delayed. The selfishness and tenacity it takes to throw other schools in the conference under the bus like that is remarkable.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have to admit I thought those of you who months ago said this season wasn't going happen (with UVM Hoop Cat being the one that really pops to mind) were going to be proven wrong, but it is starting to look bleaker and bleaker by the day.

I don't follow NCAA football much, but to me it seems like there are more covid issues relating to basketball even before the season than football has had to deal with to date. Granted, there are more hoop teams, but they have much smaller rosters so in theory it should be easier to isolate the hoops kids.

I want me some vaccine and I want it now!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I have to admit I thought those of you who months ago said this season wasn't going happen (with UVM Hoop Cat being the one that really pops to mind) were going to be proven wrong, but it is starting to look bleaker and bleaker by the day.

I don't follow NCAA football much, but to me it seems like there are more covid issues relating to basketball even before the season than football has had to deal with to date. Granted, there are more hoop teams, but they have much smaller rosters so in theory it should be easier to isolate the hoops kids.

The issue with basketball is that the entire team is together during a practice. In football, players are separated a lot more and can socially distance themselves much easier. The offensive line is away from the running backs, who are distanced from the linebackers, etc. Several teams (in fact, probably all of them) have played without several guys able to play. I think it was Virginia Tech that played a game without 25 guys. The games get cancelled/postponed when the team numbers at certain positions fall below some preset threshold (say only 3 healthy offensive linemen). Anyway, in basketball, the whole team is together for the majority of a practice, thus when a single person gets hit, the whole team has to quarantine. But that is why the college basketball coaches have been calling for a shorter quarantine time and want to do testing much more frequently and with almost immediate results.

Reactions: MileHiCat

·
Premium Member
33,319 Posts

One of those cases where obviously I wish I was totally wrong.

Football is played outdoors, which is a much safer place to be when it comes to COVID spread/exposure. I suspect the helmets help somewhat as well.

I miss all this stuff tremendously (college and pro sports) and I'm not particularly religious but I do thank god every day mykids can simply attend school in-person full time (for now, could change any minute) because remote/virtual learning is not even close to sufficient for a proper/healthy education for younger children. College basketball will be whatever it will be this year, I've already accepted it.

Until there's a vaccine, nothing is going to change as far as this stuff is concerned.

Reactions: MileHiCat

·
Registered
497 Posts
Until there's a vaccine, nothing is going to change as far as this stuff is concerned.
With the news of the last 3 Mondays, a more accurate statement would be "until production and distribution of the vaccine are up to speed" rather than "until there is a vaccine." I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. But we are still in a tunnel....

·
Premium Member
33,319 Posts
With the news of the last 3 Mondays, a more accurate statement would be "until production and distribution of the vaccine are up to speed" rather than "until there is a vaccine." I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. But we are still in a tunnel....
Right, of course I mean until there's a vaccine that gets into the hands of the masses. My hope is that occurs this Spring and into the Summer and there's a return to an (actual) normal by next Fall.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's time for UVM and others to stream some great games from the past. I loved watching the old NBA games broadcast last spring. Any suggestions for AE games you want to see again?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I'm so glad to see college basketball, regardless of how good or bad the teams look. It's so beautiful. Has to be weird in arenas with basically no noise and you hear every little thing in the gym. Anyway, here's hoping they get as many games in as they can from now until the end of February. Then, I don't care if they decide to pause every single team in the country for 2 or 3 weeks and then have the NCAA Tournament. Invite all regular season conference winners and then pick at-large teams from there. Just make sure you have every single team isolated and free to make the trip to Indianapolis to play. If a team has to back out after they get there, at least you know you have teams 69-350 ready to go if called upon.

I just really want March Madness to happen.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Except Hoop Cat is wrong because there is a college basketball season going on right now, UVM just decided not to participate for political reasons.

What I didn’t see happening is the full scale 180 that most of the country (again, not UVM or the Ivy League, but yes with our peer Hockey East schools) took in terms of risk appetite/mitigation measures.

Obviously no one was expecting to play without significant testing protocols and the like, or to play when players have had known contact with a positive, but I’m pleasantly surprised to see the college sports being rammed through for the most part. Of course it will be stop-and-go and it will be sloppy given how much less full team practices they’re doing but for the most part college sports aren’t being phased by high transmission rates and increased risk, and the success of the Mohegan Sun tourney this weekend is testament to that. The amount of games being played these past few days uninterrupted are beyond my wildest dreams and expectations I had as recently as last weekend.

So yes, Hoop Car was wrong. there is a college basketball season this year, and from my viewpoint its a hell of a lot more “normal” looking than I was expecting. I thought the Mohegan Sun would be a shit show. It’s not.

341 - 360 of 386 Posts