Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not to get off topic too far, but St George is a pretty awesome area, and the drive on I-15 just south of there in Arizona (heading towards Vegas) through the Virgin River Valley/Canyon is f-in' amazing.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The strategy to keeping the spread of the virus at low/manageable levels appears more and more straightforward by the day.

-Everyone needs to wear masks
-Under absolutely no circumstance are you able to open bars/nightclubs/entertainment venues

Burlington's learning the difficulty of opening bars during a pandemic right now. Governor Scott issued strict guidelines regarding bars; essentially they can open, but they have to operate with table-service ONLY like a restaurant (and of course with capacity restrictions). The issue is the patrons want to drink at a bar, and you can't count on bartenders/staff to self-police their establishments.

Everything else about colleges reopening in places like Vermont or Hawaii--where they've done very good jobs suppressing spread--should be achievable. But you can't let kids party--either at Rasputin's or at some shitty unregulated basement on Buell Street. And you aren't going to be able to shame kids for not adhering to social distancing guidelines... This is the only hang up for me.
The number of "Kens" and "Karens" across all generations (boomer to gen z) who are willfully flocking to super spreader sites like bars/shopping indoors because their entire personality revolves around consumerism isn't surprising but it certainly is disheartening. Drinking wine or craft beer or needing to go to Target is not a personality, folks. You want to be disgusted with humanity, just go look at some of the jackasses who commented on the Burlington mayor's social media after he expressed disappointment with Burlington bars not following protocols. Those poor little snowflakes are being oppressed because they can't drink their Green State on tap.

My feeling though is every AE school is going to try and make athletics happen...and I give it a 27.5% chance of 100% working. Worse odds than Sex Panther cologne.

Happppppy 4th everyonneeeeeeee.

·
6,022 Posts
Not to get off topic too far, but St George is a pretty awesome area, and the drive on I-15 just south of there in Arizona (heading towards Vegas) through the Virgin River Valley/Canyon is f-in' amazing.
I've lived here for 10 years and I've never done that drive.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Also D3, MIT announced that only seniors will be on campus for the fall term and that all fall sports are cancelled. Can't see how this approach would not also influence winter sports including basketball if a D1 school were to go this route.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Brown announced today that no freshman will be starting this fall. Freshman will start their first semester in January to April then June to August for 2nd semester.
My daughters school (Tufts) announces regular schedule this semester but you can not go home for thanksgiving break.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The Ivy's have an announcement tomorrow. I believe they will be moving football to the Spring. Once the first one goes, the dominoes will start to tumble.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
It looks like all of the P5's are going to a conference only schedule for fall sports including football. Let's see if that even happens. I don't think we see a basketball season this year but hope I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
I am predicting that Dempsey will not lose a single game for the fall season.
That’s pretty bold. I do believe he’ll be undefeated against the Ivy League next season.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
NESCAC has decided to cancel all Fall sports.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
Getting closer to being able to stop pretending like there's going to be a college basketball season in 2020-21.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
It looks like all of the P5's are going to a conference only schedule for fall sports including football. Let's see if that even happens. I don't think we see a basketball season this year but hope I'm wrong.
And if this does happen and they play their football season in the fall, this will cripple the other conferences that play FBS football. For example, the MAC (schools like Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Bowling Green, etc) play many games every year vs P5 schools, esp the Big Ten. Someone had mentioned the loss of guarantee money for hoops if the season is lost...well, just imagine in football. I know several of those schools, not just in the MAC, but also in Conference-USA, the Mountain West, etc will play a couple of those games annually, which can mean upwards of $1.5 million or more for their budgets. I know a lot of that is used to offset travel for their team and the like, but that is still a giant hole in the budget that will go unfilled.

Did a quick look:

Eastern Michigan is set to play at Kentucky and Missouri
Kent State is playing at Kentucky and Alabama and was scheduled to play at Penn State
Bowling Green was playing at Ohio State and Illinois
Northern Illinois was playing at Iowa and Maryland
Central Michigan was playing at Nebraska and Northwestern
Ball State was playing at Indiana and Michigan
Western Kentucky is at Louisville and was scheduled at Indiana

One school that would be in a LOT of trouble would be independent BYU. They are supposed to play at Utah, at Arizona State, at Minnesota, at Stanford, host Michigan State and Missouri. That is a lot of gate money and presumably guarantee money as well to be losing.

Anyway, yes the TV money is a HUGE deal for the leagues and teams, but when you lose money that was coming directly into your budget from another school, that's a pretty big problem.

21 - 40 of 184 Posts