Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
So here is an issue: ICE is rescinding visas for international students who can't attend on campus classes. Let's say UMaine goes online only for the fall. Do 75% of the men's and women's basketball teams lose their immigration status?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
So here is an issue: ICE is rescinding visas for international students who can't attend on campus classes. Let's say UMaine goes online only for the fall. Do 75% of the men's and women's basketball teams lose their immigration status?
This is a pretty tough scenario. I mean, the purpose of the VISA's that these students get is for academic purposes only. If school is not conducting in-person classes, I can see why they would get revoked. That may sound cold, but if the reason for a particular VISA is no longer valid, then why should they still have one? And that isn't just for student-athletes, but all students. I get all the team stuff and everything, but this is a pretty legitimate issue IMO.

My thought is that they should be able to reactivate the VISA as soon as it is announced that classes will be held in-person and they are allowed back into the country 'x' number of days prior to the start of classes. Maybe if they are an athlete at the institution, they are allowed back a little earlier to prepare.

Honestly, I haven't given this a ton of thought, so my thinking could and probably will be changed on this. But, as cold as it may seem, I understand where this policy is coming from.

Look, a couple decades ago, we were looking at recruiting some kids from Nigeria. As the person handling the paperwork for admission (core classes, school app, VISA app, etc), I know how much of a struggle it was. It could be more streamlined now, I don't know. Anyway, we weren't able to get them into the country. Basically, our academic support and NCAA rep told us that the problem was that because their native language is English, they are a much bigger threat to "disappear" once they got here and there was a strong concern, I guess because of relatives/region they lived or something to that affect.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
My question for those schools who are not going to play sports until the second semester: Why would student athletes want to waste a year of eligibility while only playing half the games, or is it only going to cost them a 1/2 yr? And for Ivy league athletes since they can't redshirt: Do you withdraw from school to preserve that year of eligibility?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Reupping my season ticket was an act of optimism, and that was a while back. The way things have continued to trend, and how colleges are planning a lot of remote learning, make it hard for me to envision a 2020-21 basketball season. It seems so fraught with risk potential that I'm not even sure I want to be wrong.

·
6,022 Posts
And if this does happen and they play their football season in the fall, this will cripple the other conferences that play FBS football. For example, the MAC (schools like Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Bowling Green, etc) play many games every year vs P5 schools, esp the Big Ten. Someone had mentioned the loss of guarantee money for hoops if the season is lost...well, just imagine in football. I know several of those schools, not just in the MAC, but also in Conference-USA, the Mountain West, etc will play a couple of those games annually, which can mean upwards of $1.5 million or more for their budgets. I know a lot of that is used to offset travel for their team and the like, but that is still a giant hole in the budget that will go unfilled.

Did a quick look:

Eastern Michigan is set to play at Kentucky and Missouri
Kent State is playing at Kentucky and Alabama and was scheduled to play at Penn State
Bowling Green was playing at Ohio State and Illinois
Northern Illinois was playing at Iowa and Maryland
Central Michigan was playing at Nebraska and Northwestern
Ball State was playing at Indiana and Michigan
Western Kentucky is at Louisville and was scheduled at Indiana

One school that would be in a LOT of trouble would be independent BYU. They are supposed to play at Utah, at Arizona State, at Minnesota, at Stanford, host Michigan State and Missouri. That is a lot of gate money and presumably guarantee money as well to be losing.

Anyway, yes the TV money is a HUGE deal for the leagues and teams, but when you lose money that was coming directly into your budget from another school, that's a pretty big problem.
UNLV will be hosting two PAC 12 teams in the new Raiders stadium, a stadium that just lost out on a Barca-Real Madrid friendly. That's going to be a massive, massive hole in the budget for both the school and the stadium.

·
Registered
583 Posts
These points are all really good ones. Once the dominoes start falling, the ripple effects are pretty huge. It seems that the end of that chain reaction might well be just shutting it all down. The big conferences will hold out as long as possible because of the insane amount of money Involved. But with many of these non power 5 schools already under intense financial pressure, if these sports stop being a profit engine, it’s tough to justify playing. Especially with any kind of health risk in the table.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
The NYT coronavirus coverage shows graphs for each state of the number of cases per 100,000 people. As of tonight, only 3 states are showing decreases - VT, NH and ME. Dozens of states are completely out of control, with no ICU beds free, out of PPE, no masks or distancing, bars and restaurants wide open. It will be at least 6 months before the US gets back to where we were 3 months ago, and many health professionals say they have given up hope that a year will be sufficient time to return to any kind of "normal."

As much as I like the game, basketball is very low on my list of pressing concerns.

·
6,022 Posts
I really think right now, all schools need to call off the fall semester, and make a decision about winter sports in a few months. If the general consensus is that American's think they can ignore protocols because their freedumz, and as a result, the vaccine, to be ready in January, will be our only hope (except for the anti-vaxers), then I don't seen any sports being played this school year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The most academically prominent D1 conference, the Ivy League and what may be the most academically prominent D3 conference, NESCAC, both located in the part of the country with Covid-19 most under control have cancelled fall sports. Which conference will be the last to cancel? My guess is the SEC.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The NJCAA is going to announce Monday moving most, maybe all sports until Jan 1. My new favorite term btw, "kicking the can down the road." There is no better chance of starting sports in January then there is now. I coach high school football in NY. It feels like I'm the only one who realizes, WE ARE NOT PLAYING FOOTBALL. There is no chance. The thing is, the governor knows this and I feel he delays letting people know that plan because it gives them less time to complain. Why give six weeks to bitch and moan when two will be more than enough.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Patriot League has announced cancellation of fall sports. Haven't seen anything from America East as yet, but seems likely that more dominoes will start falling.

Edit: Patriot League won’t play fall sports, but Navy and Army are exempt
Navy and Army were granted an exemption because they “are unique in their environments and their missions within higher education,” the Patriot League said in its statement. The Navy football team, which competes in the American Athletic Conference, reported to campus July 5 and is in the midst of completing a 14-day isolation period. The Army football team competes as a Football Bowl Subdivision independent.
A Navy spokesman said it is at “ground zero” in trying to build schedules for its fall teams that compete in the Patriot League; facing Army multiple times is an option.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Man, I have been trying to maintain an optimistic point of view in regards to college football/sports this fall but it is becoming apparent that there is just no way in hell it is going to happen. I know the P5 conferences are still going to be doing everything within their power to have some sort of a season due to the mounds of cash they get, but even conference-only seasons are looking like pipe dreams. Speaking of which, I guess I'm still not quite understanding how conference-only makes anything any safer. I mean, is it safer for Iowa to play at Penn State (clearly a flight) as opposed to Iowa State?

Along this same topic, I really don't see how the professional sports are going to make it through their seasons either. You already have some baseball players opting out of the season.

It is kinda hard to wrap my head around all the stuff going on in this world right now.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Man, I have been trying to maintain an optimistic point of view in regards to college football/sports this fall but it is becoming apparent that there is just no way in hell it is going to happen. I know the P5 conferences are still going to be doing everything within their power to have some sort of a season due to the mounds of cash they get, but even conference-only seasons are looking like pipe dreams. Speaking of which, I guess I'm still not quite understanding how conference-only makes anything any safer. I mean, is it safer for Iowa to play at Penn State (clearly a flight) as opposed to Iowa State?

Along this same topic, I really don't see how the professional sports are going to make it through their seasons either. You already have some baseball players opting out of the season.

It is kinda hard to wrap my head around all the stuff going on in this world right now.
The theory on "conference-only" seems to be two-fold. First is that the conference can agree on what protocols are taken or not taken and everyone has to be on board with it. Second, and probably more importantly from the conference perspective, is that the schedule can be wiped clean and re-done from scratch to ensure that they can get in a full set of games and re-schedule games if it becomes necessary to postpone a week or two for one or all teams in the conference.

That's the theory. It won't work, but that's the theory they are going on.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Given how the infections are raging now, I can't imagine there will be any fall sports. The deaths are just now starting to tick up. Two weeks from now we will all have laughing cramps when we think of having any football this year. Unless we have a nuclear war, this pandemic will be the biggest event of our lives.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
There’s not going to be NCAA sports until there’s a vaccine or a drug/drugs that will prevent the mortality rate in COVID patients. It’s really as simple as that. People need to really start getting real.

I’ve been hearing for a while now that there’s not going to be NFL until 2021, unless something has changed, and not much of anything has materially changed in regards to stopping COVID. Guess will see, hard to picture this country without its NFL, but here we are. When COVID cases are spiking in NFL training camps, will see what happens.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
I’ve also heard if the NESCAC has basketball this winter it’s going to be like 10-games max all conference only. If anything does happen, it’s going to be something like this. Normal scheduling at this stage for anything seemingly an impossibility.

·
6,022 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
If there are any college sports before 2022 we will be lucky. It looks like 300K deaths, at a minimum, before the Nov, election.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
This is a reset for everyone and everything. I know that personally myself & our household is changing the way that we do things....permanently. Unfortunately our Federal government is fiddling while Rome burns.

College sports....sports sponsorship, conference memberships, cost controls......it's all gonna change after this.

41 - 60 of 184 Posts