Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
There are exemptions, including for those from states with low transmission rates. Those states include New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and Hawaii.
I found this interesting. I'm not up on all the current rates and cases, but wasn't New York a hot bed of new cases and even deaths very recently? I could very well be wrong, but I swear that was the case.

Maine had implemented the same type of thing (14 day quarantine or a negative test within 72 hrs of arrival). I have no idea how it was enforced or even if it was, other than by the hotel/airbnb industries.

I wonder how this will impact kids from those states not exempted that are current students at schools in Mass. Will there be a significant number that elect not to return? Hopefully that will be tracked and published as I would find that to be pretty interesting. Course, I would also like to know if a kid was from, say, Oklahoma and was a student at Holy Cross but was already thinking about not returning due to the covid situation and/or had already decided not to return prior to this executive order.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
CNN today reported that the US hit 4 million cases of COVID-19 yesterday. What is most disturbing is that it took 99 days for the first million, 43 days for the second, 28 days for the third and only 15 days for the fourth. This certainly gives us a good idea of how badly the virus is raging out of control, and that it is getting worse, not better. Any hopes that we had for in-person school or sports before widespread vaccinations now seem totally irrational.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I found this interesting. I'm not up on all the current rates and cases, but wasn't New York a hot bed of new cases and even deaths very recently? I could very well be wrong, but I swear that was the case.

Maine had implemented the same type of thing (14 day quarantine or a negative test within 72 hrs of arrival). I have no idea how it was enforced or even if it was, other than by the hotel/airbnb industries.

I wonder how this will impact kids from those states not exempted that are current students at schools in Mass. Will there be a significant number that elect not to return? Hopefully that will be tracked and published as I would find that to be pretty interesting. Course, I would also like to know if a kid was from, say, Oklahoma and was a student at Holy Cross but was already thinking about not returning due to the covid situation and/or had already decided not to return prior to this executive order.
NY was a disaster through May. Since June they have about a 1% positivity rate which is great.

My daughters best friend is going to BC but is staying at home in CT doing remote learning until treatment or vaccine takes away risks ( she has some pre-existing conditions of concern).
some kids at Tufts decided by the June deadline to take a gap year. Not nearly as many as I thought would. Biggest issue currently was how would parents say from Florida come and help your child move in if there is a 14 day quarantine. That issue is alleviated if they get a negative Covid test within 72 hours prior.
Regarding Maine...we went to Ogunquit for 5 days last week since CT residents were exempted from any quarantine. Hotels in Maine are very strict. If you are from a non exempt state you have to show a negative Covid test result within 72 hours in order to check in. What was also interesting is about half the restaurants we ate at prior to sitting down take all your information for contact tracing purposes.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
CNN today reported that the US hit 4 million cases of COVID-19 yesterday. What is most disturbing is that it took 99 days for the first million, 43 days for the second, 28 days for the third and only 15 days for the fourth. This certainly gives us a good idea of how badly the virus is raging out of control, and that it is getting worse, not better. Any hopes that we had for in-person school or sports before widespread vaccinations now seem totally irrational.
While I agree that it is spreading and fairly rapidly, I would pose the question as to how many people were tested during the first 99 days as opposed to how many were tested during these last 15. Testing has increased dramatically over the course of the last couple of months.

Reactions: benchwarmer

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
At the rate Florida is going by the end of the year their entire 23 million population should have already contracted the virus. Obviously I’m being facetious but maybe a mandatory face mask law would be prudent.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
While I agree that it is spreading and fairly rapidly, I would pose the question as to how many people were tested during the first 99 days as opposed to how many were tested during these last 15. Testing has increased dramatically over the course of the last couple of months.
Good point. I don't know but I'll see if the data is available. I do know that the increased testing is finding more younger cases and the percentage of positive cases per 100,000 tests is falling, but both those things are expected since the early testing was more or less limited to those with symptoms.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I was in the local hospital for 4 nights 2 weeks ago. Upon arrival at the ER they gave me a Covid test ( negative fortunately). The results came back in 30 minutes. If they can get this type of turnaround everywhere in the country instead of 2-10 day turnaround the country would be in MUCH better shape. I have no idea after all this time why testing has not been perfected.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Right now there is a shortage of reagents for the PCR test, the most reliable test, and the test samples are being frozen and then evaluated later. Our national government demanded that only they could provide these materials, and then did nothing to procure more because Trump insisted that the virus was going to go away and that testing would only hurt his re-election chances. Jared Kushner has been in charge of testing supplies, I believe.

A different test, the antigen method, has received emergency approval, but it has problems with accuracy. Good, fast, cheap. You can have any two.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
umainealum: I don't have an exact answer about cases vs testing but it appears that since June 10 daily tests have increased from 38 to 65 thousand and daily cases have increased from 17 to 75 thousand. So, cases are increasing about 2.5 times as fast as testing, in roundish figures. The graphs for both testing and cases are both steep, but cases is obviously steeper. There really isn't any question that we are even less likely to see any college basketball this school year than we were a month ago.

Even worse I'm afraid is the reality that only a small percentage of the population has been infected. Even if we have only identified 10% of the real number of cases that means at least 80% of the population is still COVID fodder even if infection gives long term immunity.

Another nail in the sports coffin is that the virus seems to be mutating. Children, teenagers and young people are increasingly among the Florida fatalities. By the time we might be seeing b-ball in 2021 it might be life threatening to step on the court.

I have a professional interest in following the virus but the whole thing, and the pathetic US response, has been a complete bummer.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
But it is just going to disappear and it's a hoax our fine leader said, what a joke. I don't think we'll see basketball this year as I would expect a second wave to hit come December. Shut it down try to keep everyone safe and hopefully we have it under control so we can play sports in the fall of 2021.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
In one of the first public universities to change course Delaware just reversed their plan and will now be going with a fully remote “Experience”. I think that’s the first public university other than the CA schools.

Last week 2 private schools ( Lafayette & Davidson) in PA announced the same thing.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
umainealum: I don't have an exact answer about cases vs testing but it appears that since June 10 daily tests have increased from 38 to 65 thousand and daily cases have increased from 17 to 75 thousand. So, cases are increasing about 2.5 times as fast as testing, in roundish figures. The graphs for both testing and cases are both steep, but cases is obviously steeper. There really isn't any question that we are even less likely to see any college basketball this school year than we were a month ago.

Even worse I'm afraid is the reality that only a small percentage of the population has been infected. Even if we have only identified 10% of the real number of cases that means at least 80% of the population is still COVID fodder even if infection gives long term immunity.

Another nail in the sports coffin is that the virus seems to be mutating. Children, teenagers and young people are increasingly among the Florida fatalities. By the time we might be seeing b-ball in 2021 it might be life threatening to step on the court.

I have a professional interest in following the virus but the whole thing, and the pathetic US response, has been a complete bummer.
Thank you for all the info. Those numbers are quite troubling. I wish I knew the answer. I mean, sure, we can shut the country down again, bring everything to a screeching halt and watch the country crumble. I can't even begin to imagine what the numbers would look like when it comes to homeless people, poverty levels, number of businesses completely shut down, etc. I mean, we really don't know what some of that is going to look like now because there has been a moratorium on evictions, shutting off utilities, etc. Now that people have gone months without paying some of those bills, once they become due, the numbers are going to skyrocket. I can't imagine how much damage another total shutdown would do to the infrastructure of this country. Ugh.

Course, on the flip side, if we keep going the way we are there will be a lot more deaths, which obviously is not a good thing either.

Seems like a compromise is to keep things going while implementing and enforcing a mask rule for the time being. However, getting people to abide by that is a whole other ballgame. I don't think the protesters/rioters really give a crap about what law might or might not be created.

Again, thank you for all that info. I appreciate it.

Reactions: benchwarmer

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
My daughters friend who was going to be a freshman at Notre Dame and was supposed to be there on Aug 7 just decided to take a gap year instead.

My daughters best friend who is going to be a freshman at Brown got guidance that Brown will split into 3 semesters this year to avoid too many people on campus Freshman will start in January and have one semester January-May and 2nd semester June-Aug.

Another friend of my daughters who is going to Dartmouth will have strict quarantine for 14 days at arrival to campus. They will not have any roommates it will all be singles.

at Tufts they are building “Mods“ on top of the tennis courts. The students get Covid tested twice per week and if you have a positive test you move into the mods in your own room ( you share a bathroom with one other mod ). You order your food to be delivered to your mod. You quarantine there until you get a negative test result. You also can not go home for thanksgiving. If you choose to go home then you have to take the remainder of the semester online.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Thank you for all the info. Those numbers are quite troubling. I wish I knew the answer. I mean, sure, we can shut the country down again, bring everything to a screeching halt and watch the country crumble. I can't even begin to imagine what the numbers would look like when it comes to homeless people, poverty levels, number of businesses completely shut down, etc. I mean, we really don't know what some of that is going to look like now because there has been a moratorium on evictions, shutting off utilities, etc. Now that people have gone months without paying some of those bills, once they become due, the numbers are going to skyrocket. I can't imagine how much damage another total shutdown would do to the infrastructure of this country. Ugh.

Course, on the flip side, if we keep going the way we are there will be a lot more deaths, which obviously is not a good thing either.

Seems like a compromise is to keep things going while implementing and enforcing a mask rule for the time being. However, getting people to abide by that is a whole other ballgame. I don't think the protesters/rioters really give a crap about what law might or might not be created.

Again, thank you for all that info. I appreciate it.
honestly if I didn’t receive the PPP money when it did my main business might not have survived. I’m still off 35% and at this point even if a vaccine was found tomorrow just due to changing habits and economics I will probably be off 15-20% at best.

if true some good news:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
This could be a fantastic testing solution for colleges,sports,etc if the FDA approves it and obviously if it is viable and accurate.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I can't imagine being an administrator at a university right now. The number of things that need to be considered has to staggering. Clearly, the health of your employees as well as your students is paramount, but so many other issues are there as well. I mean, if you go completely remote, what happens to all the people that work in the dining halls, the gym, the athletic facilities, the residence halls, etc. But, if you bring people back to campus in any way, shape or form, how on earth do you keep everyone safe? 18-22 yr olds are going to want to socialize. When you add in alcohol, how on earth do masks stay on? Then what?

Anyway, more power to those people as they fight through and try to make the best, well informed decisions they can.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
OK, I found the article in Nature that was the basis for this news. There have been no tests of this with live subjects, only bits of tissue in petri dishes, so we won't know if it really works anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
OK, I found the article in Nature that was the basis for this news. There have been no tests of this with live subjects, only bits of tissue in petri dishes, so we won't know if it really works anytime soon.
Thanks for further researching....though disappointed with the result.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I'm really hoping that some hospitals try this as a desperate measure. The drug has no known significant side effects and might give places like TX and FL, which have enough cases to make an informal trial significant, some relief. Any port in a storm.

101 - 120 of 184 Posts