Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 140 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Similar to the Israel story
I hope this is something that turns out to be viable!

how about this one?

·
6,022 Posts
I don't know what this website is when it comes to reliability, or who its author is, but it's saying that Ryan Odom is confirming that UMBC will be somewhat playing this upcoming school year, so take that for what it is.

·
Registered
583 Posts
More than a third of the Florida Marlins roster now has COVID and they’ve already had to cancel a game. And baseball’s been back what, a week? Seems to me absolute best case for college basketball is second semester, conference only.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
I don't know what this website is when it comes to reliability, or who its author is, but it's saying that Ryan Odom is confirming that UMBC will be somewhat playing this upcoming school year, so take that for what it is.

That just looks like an opinion piece with the word "hope" in it. I think all college basketball coaches as of right now have to still operate under the assumption some type of season is going to take place this winter because it's their job to do so. I don't see any decisions being made by NCAA on hoops/Winter sports until probably October.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
More than a third of the Florida Marlins roster now has COVID and they’ve already had to cancel a game. And baseball’s been back what, a week? Seems to me absolute best case for college basketball is second semester, conference only.
And the NBA choosing Florida for its bubble location is looking like one of the wildest decisions I've seen.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
And the NBA choosing Florida for its bubble location is looking like one of the wildest decisions I've seen.
My understanding was it had to do with the facility at Walt Disney World, including the court space, hotels, etc all within the confines of a single location that could be relatively controlled. It just happened to be located in the state of Florida. Is there any other place in the country that has hotels, basketball courts, restaurants, etc all on their property?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Like everyone else, I've had great hopes for a vaccine that would make BB in the spring possible. Well, it isn't so simple according to this article in The Atlantic:

Since I have plenty of time to read, I also read some things about the Bubonic Plague, aka the Black Death. Hopefully, things are different now, but that plague lasted 200 years and still kills a few thousand people every year now! There were no discussions about sports in what I read.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
I think that league only games with no fans and free streaming is the way to go. As long as teams & staff have been tested (weekly?)....bus travel only. Start league games in November and play only on the weekends. Tourney at one centralized low infection location (Maine?) with no fans and paid streaming to help defray costs. I would definitely pay $20 or $30 to stream the entire tourney.

·
6,022 Posts
I think that league only games with no fans and free streaming is the way to go. As long as teams & staff have been tested (weekly?)....bus travel only. Start league games in November and play only on the weekends. Tourney at one centralized low infection location (Maine?) with no fans and paid streaming to help defray costs. I would definitely pay $20 or $30 to stream the entire tourney.
At this level, without guaranteed games and no fans, that’s red ink to be on the books for years.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
As of this moment, 6 New England Patriots have already opted out of playing this season.

·
Registered
75 Posts
watching the mlb crumble, i am becoming more and more certain that there will be no college sports this year

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
The NEC announced last night that they will not have fall sports. They become the 6th FCS conference that will not play football this fall, but did leave the door open to possibly playing in the spring.

Also, a couple days ago, the MAAC announced no fall sports as well.

At this point, I think the NCAA should step in and say there will be no NCAA championships for fall sports. I mean, with several conferences already saying no sports or just conference games, there is not really going to be a true national champion. I know they have delayed making a decision on that, I feel they need to take the lead and thus take some of the pressure off the schools and conferences.

Trying to play sports right now with this pandemic going on seems very forced and reckless.

Reactions: Aceinthehole

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
My understanding was it had to do with the facility at Walt Disney World, including the court space, hotels, etc all within the confines of a single location that could be relatively controlled. It just happened to be located in the state of Florida. Is there any other place in the country that has hotels, basketball courts, restaurants, etc all on their property?
Of course the NBA chose Orlando for its ability to host a bubble, but the data set and circumstances that have changed since that initial decision to opening tip tonight is.....massive given COVID situation now in that state. All it takes is for one or two irresponsible people to pop this NBA bubble. Hopefully, everyone involved stays safe. My opinion? Seems unlikely.

·
6,022 Posts
Man, I'm totally confused. Power 5 football conferences having a dick-measuring contest on conference only seasons, Stanley Cup Finals in September, MLS Cup Final in August, college basketball starting in January.

Will there be a NFL season?

121 - 140 of 184 Posts