Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Of course the NBA chose Orlando for its ability to host a bubble, but the data set and circumstances that have changed since that initial decision to opening tip tonight is.....massive given COVID situation now in that state. All it takes is for one or two irresponsible people to pop this NBA bubble. Hopefully, everyone involved stays safe. My opinion? Seems unlikely.
Since Disney owns ESPN and ESPN works with the NBA, maybe it was a choice out of convenience. A lot of the decision makers already had professional relationships with each other, so maybe everyone wanted to continue working with people they already know. I don't doubt Disney has some of the best facilities, but we'll see if people start second guessing this location if something happens.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Man, I'm totally confused. Power 5 football conferences having a dick-measuring contest on conference only seasons, Stanley Cup Finals in September, MLS Cup Final in August, college basketball starting in January.

Will there be a NFL season?
I see NO WAY for college or professional football. The nature of the game and the nature of the virus precludes it. I see it as a silly exercise to do all this prep 'cause
it is doomed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #143

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
So we are second guessing having the NBA in Florida. I believe everyone starting arriving there almost a month ago while the decision to be there happened well before that. I'm not sure what the data looked like at that time but I don't think it was nearly as bad as it is today. It's easy to look at it now and say this was a bad idea but there wasn't any way to predict it would be like this.

Also, if not Orlando (that facility is phenomenal), where on earth would you try to do this? There isn't any other facility like this in the country. Absolutely nothing that can house all those teams (players, coaches, personnel, etc) while also having top notch courts for the teams to use, ample restaurants, etc.

·
6,022 Posts
Since D2 and D3 have cancelled sports, this only applies to D1. Each fall sport has until August 21 to decide on whether or not to go ahead with the season. If more than 50% of the schools say no, the NCAA will cancel those sports seasons.

I have two observations. If the pandemic ends by then, can see these sports moved to the spring for this upcoming school year only, which may be the final push for soccer’s long sought-after move to a full-season going forward. The other observation I have is that I’m more convinced that there isn’t enough support for Power 5 and high majors to leave small D1 leagues/schools behind in all sports, otherwise the NCAA wouldn’t have grown a spine about this issue.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Well, with several leagues already saying no sports this fall, I would guess we are well on our way to 50%. I kinda hope we get into a situation where the P5 want to break away and see what happens. Personally, I have a hard time seeing what that looks like and honestly, it looks strange every time I try to envision it. As ball of rubber said, I'm not convinced all the P5 schools/leagues are behind such a move.

·
Registered
47 Posts
UMass reversed course and announced that most students will not be returning to campus this fall. I suspect sports cancellations won't be far behind. There is no sport less suited to resume play than football and if pro's want to play and earn, fine with them. If the p5's play at the expense of the health of kids, it is just more proof that its all about the money.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I can't see the P5 and the Group of 5 playing this year. Just don't see how they can make this work. Do they really think their football teams are going to isolate once school opens back up? Come on...college campuses will be breeding grounds for covid. After all, we all are invincible at that age.

Reactions: Mr quint

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Damn. As someone who kinda follows Big Ten football, I just saw this article regarding Rondale Moore from Purdue who is opting out of the season in order to prepare for the NFL draft. I wonder how many other guys will do the same thing. I noticed at the end of the article it mentioned a few other guys that have already announced the same intentions. That Bateman kid from Minnesota is a heckuva player as well. I remember a couple years ago when Moore was basically unstoppable against Ohio State when Purdue absolutely crushed the Buckeyes. He was very exciting. I think the coolest part for him though is that he is going to graduate with his degree in December, in just 2 1/2 years. He is a bright kid that had goals, got organized and followed through. Congrats to him and I can't blame him for not wanting to take on an additional risk that may have long term affects we just can't possibly know about right now.

Anyway, here's the link to the article and the farewell tweet from Moore: Rondale Moore leaving Purdue

·
Registered
583 Posts
It just keeps getting better and better.

The fact that this is still even a conversation says a lot about the money involved. At this point, the dialogue should be about winter sports and whether and how you might make those work in the event we either get a vaccine or get numbers under much better control. Fall sports should be a done deal at this stage, other than discussions about doing it in the spring.

Based on what we have seen so far, there is a 100% chance of some players contracting the virus. While the chances of a 20-year old dying are very low, they are not zero. If one student athlete contracts the virus through sports and dies, doesn’t this all seem a bit ridiculous?

·
6,022 Posts
The fact that this is still even a conversation says a lot about the money involved. At this point, the dialogue should be about winter sports and whether and how you might make those work in the event we either get a vaccine or get numbers under much better control. Fall sports should be a done deal at this stage, other than discussions about doing it in the spring.

Based on what we have seen so far, there is a 100% chance of some players contracting the virus. While the chances of a 20-year old dying are very low, they are not zero. If one student athlete contracts the virus through sports and dies, doesn’t this all seem a bit ridiculous?
To further that point, the conversations between the PAC 12 players and commissioner Larry Scott, which media reports initially said were productive, apparently went very poorly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I speculate if the Power 5 try to play football or basketball the resulting organizing by the players will forever change the power dynamics between the NCAA, P5, and the players - with the players getting a bigger say on money, health, academic opportunity, transfers, race in the power structure, etc..

·
Registered
549 Posts

If we can't have football, we most certainly won't have college basketball. Things aren't going to get materially better. Our country is too large and there is too much interstate travel that there will always be shifting "hot spots" putting other areas at risk of contagion. The situation will not improve until vaccine becomes widely available.

The issue is not death. It's that once an athlete tests positive everyone has to quarantine, etc, and you get in a Miami Marlins or Cards situation. It's really not about the death, just the practicality of following quarantine protocols in the event an athlete or staffer tests positive.

·
6,022 Posts
141 - 160 of 184 Posts