Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and possibly go after Michael Redd or are we gearing up to go after Lebron in a couple years

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know Da comes off the books after next year , the Last other big contract is Rubens and Theos

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Sorry, but no on all accounts. The Blazers are committed to around $51 million even if they don't re-sign Damon or SAR and dump NVE's contract.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
e_blazer1 said:
Sorry, but no on all accounts. The Blazers are committed to around $51 million even if they don't re-sign Damon or SAR and dump NVE's contract.
Oh ok the Cap is 43 million right , so in about 2 years will we have money to go after lebron

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know getting Lebron to come to Portland is a long shot but Hey him and Sebastian are tight you never know , even though Portland is a very small market

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
cimalee said:
Oh ok the Cap is 43 million right , so in about 2 years will we have money to go after lebron
Not unless we make some trades to dump some of the guys we've already committed to. Miles, Zach, Theo, Telfair, Outlaw, Khryapa, Monya, & this year's pick would put us rigth around the cap even if we didn't sign anybody else.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
No we won't have money then either....We will add MLE players and young guys Like Travis and yes even Ha will be looking at potential paydays....Factor ina few draft Picks including Monia, and the chances of havoing the 14mill or so in cap space are remote, and that's a dangerous road to flirt with.

You'd have to get rid of young talented players on a prayer that LeBron will some reason want to come to Portland.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
If Lebron leaves his hometown of Cleveland, he'll go to either LA, NY, or Chicago... not Portland. His endorsement contracts have a HUGE bonus $$$ in them if he signs with those three city's.

From Chad Ford:
With the length of contracts likely to be shortened, along with raises, by a new collective bargaining agreement, the Cavs' advantages in keeping LeBron are likely to get slimmer. As Insider first reported months ago, James has lucrative kickers in his endorsement contracts should he move to New York, Chicago or L.A.

Persuading LeBron to stick it out in Cleveland will be a monumental task. The Cavs not only have to make the right choices in free agency this summer, they also have to find the right coach and upgrade almost every area of the organization.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
cimalee said:
I know Da comes off the books after next year , the Last other big contract is Rubens and Theos
DA is under contract through the 2006-07 season, so he won't come off the books for 2 more years.

And, honestly, the other big contracts are Randolph, Ratliff, Patterson, Miles and Van Exel. However, Van Exel's contract is not guaranteed until January, so he can be cut at any point and only has to be paid for the games he plays in.

The reality is that Portland is committed to over $51 million in salary next year, and that number is only going to go up. The cap won't be set until later in the summer when (if?) the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is signed, but my best guess is that it will be about $45.5 million if they don't change the parameters of calculation too much. So they'll be well over the cap, even if they let SAR, Damon, Frahm and Ha walk away. Signing any of those players - or any other FA's - will of course raise the total team salary figure.

Next summer? No such luck. Unless they can trade an existing contract (Randolph, Miles, Ratliff, etc.) or two for expiring deals, Portland will be committed to nearly $60 million in the summer of 2006. That should be well over the cap as well.

Feel free to check out my numbers.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Schilly said:
It's True! I sent Nash an EMail asking such and he confirmed that Ha is signed for 2 more seasons after this season.
Good. At least we won't be in a position with him like we will be with Przybilla. After 3 years, the Blazers will have Bird rights on Ha and be able to outbid other suitors...assuming he continues to develop and he HAS other suitors. :)

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Schilly said:
It's True! I sent Nash an EMail asking such and he confirmed that Ha is signed for 2 more seasons after this season.
Good news! I'll update my site when I do the weekly update on Saturday.

Thanks for the info, Schilly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts