Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Rednecksbasketball said:
people can compare them to Shaq, and say Shaq is more dominate, but they are mistaken. its safe to say that during Shaqs best years, the NBA had its weakest days in terms of centers. so why didn't Shaq put up 50 points and 25 boards a night? because Shaq simply isn't that dominate.
when shaq had his best years interms of athletic dominance he was playing in a league with
-alonzo mourning
-patrick ewing
-hakeem olajuwon
-david robinson
-dikembe mutumbo

all in there primes. and right now he's scoring 20-10 against
yao ming
ben wallace
marcus camby

i think there is just a slight parrity between the top centers in league at those times

· Registered
1,488 Posts
this logic will probably baffle most of you but - i use the idea of the comparing world record for the 100metres, in 1956 the world record was owned by willie williams who ran 10.1 seconds. now while the official world record has only gone down a little more than a third of a second in those 50years. only one man could do it back then, and now there would possibly be a 1000 across the world. so i think that if u put wilt in todays game, where everyone is so much bigger and faster (the weight has increased on average by 5lbs in past 20yrs alone) his attributes would not dwarf everyone elses and he wouldn't be the 50-27 he was for that one incredible season.

btw, some nba teams averaged well over 65 rebounds per game for a season, so while 27per does double what todays elite rebounders do. they were averaging 50% more rebs as a team.

and wilt took 40 fga/g the season he averaged 50.4, so his accomplishments, while style remarkable, are not completely unfathomable when comparing to the modern game

Reactions: universal!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.