Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know that Portland is playing some great ball and they are moving up in the standings. However, here is a story that I found on ESPN on the blazers.

Win streak aside, Portland still has issues to address

ESPN Link

If you could change one thing about the Blazers right now, what would it be? :confused:

This might have been touched on before, but I wanted to bring it up again! :D

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Frank Hughes is two faced. He doesn't talk smack when he's on Courtside Monday night, but he does when he's writing a paper.

If you don't talk the crap when you're talking to who you talk crap about, you're a weasel.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap Shaughnessy</b>!
If you don't talk the crap when you're talking to who you talk crap about, you're a weasel.
Hmmmm....there may be a sig hidden in that statement.

BTW, I'm humbled and honored that you would use my remark as your staple.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Frank strikes again

Has Frank Hughes ever written a piece about the Blazers that wasn't negative?

Did you notice how he covers himself towards the end? "If I'm wrong, then my opinion is easily correctable." I respect writers who stick to their guns - who make strong predictions and then either admit their mistakes if they were wrong or sit on their laurels if they were right. But wishy-washy Frank can't bring himself to do that - even about the Blazers. Because he's scared that maybe this time they're for real, and he's trying to cover up that fear with this tired argument of "Once a choker, always a choker."

If this guy were covering another sport for ESPN, I can just see what he would have written this last year:

Well, the Patriots are in the playoffs again. Of course, we all know what happens when the Patriots are able to squeak into the playoffs. They'll win a game or even two, but this organization has never won any of the 'big games' and I'm not convinced that they ever will. Of course, if my analysis is faulty, it's easily correctable."

or even

Looky, looky, the Angels are close enough again to a championship that their fans can build up the expectations that will only lead to incredible disappointment. Remember, this is the franchise that gave us the collapse of `95 and Donnie Moore's disaster. The next big game that the Angels win will be their first. Of course, if my analysis is faulty, it's easily correctable."

Don't get me wrong - I don't believe that the Blazers are a perfect team. They have room to grow. But over the last 2 months, I've seen them improve. I've seen them work hard. I've seen them do things that they haven't done in the past (ie, keep tempers in check). To simply dismiss them with a simple "They'll choke like they always do" is not only simple-minded and disrespectful, it's shoddy journalism.

I may add more later, but I'll let this stand for now.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that it is going to take some time to start getting some good press out of the media. Portland has had this Black Cloud over them since that night in Utah when some players didn't use good judgement. Since then Portland has had the label Jailblazers.

I think that the press is always looking for something negitive to write about when it comes to this team. I'm surprised that they didn't write about Drexler cheating at solitare!

Let's just hope that in time people in the media will have another team to pick on and Portland will once again rise to the top as choir boys! Yeah, right!:p

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

Hmmmm....there may be a sig hidden in that statement.

BTW, I'm humbled and honored that you would use my remark as your staple.
no, it is I who should be humbled and honored. You actually kept a good sense of humor about it.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
BTW, everybody...before we get our panties in a bunch over Frankie-boy's drivel..........

Just remember, he's nothing more than a "glorified" Sonics beat reporter for the Tacoma New Tribune - this, while doing a little ESPN on the slide.

Yeppers, that pretty much spells it out.

As you were.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I think Hughes just has been burned by the Blazers before, and wants to see them DO something other than get knocked out by the eventual champs year in, year out.

I actually specifically recall an article he wrote a few years ago that was VERY positive on the Blazers, and he predicted great things for them. After sticking his neck out, he's become bitter.

Plus, it's easier to be negative about a team, especially when there are so many other trendier picks to make (Dallas, with all its offense and great record; Sacramento, with how close it came last year and its nice depth; LA, which is down but not out and has the last 3 sets of rings on its side).

When a team has been as hot as the Blazers have been, it's almost impossible for an NBA writer to ignore them altogether. Not taking a position on a team is boring reading, and not many writers are willing to predict the Blazers will do post-season damge this year. Hughes is no exception.

Ed O.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts