Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the win tonight against the Clippers and Bostons loss to the Mavs, the Nets are only 4.5 out of the division lead, and they have two games left against Boston, which can mean gaining a lot of ground. Also, boston has lost their last 4 games now.

So, do you think its possible for the Nets to catch up?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
After the win tonight against the Clippers and Bostons loss to the Mavs, the Nets are only 4.5 out of the division lead, and they have two games left against Boston, which can mean gaining a lot of ground. Also, boston has lost their last 4 games now.

Ah it would become a fairy tale story... but if the Sox can come back from 3 games down, yeah it's possible.

-Petey

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
you never know...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
ToddMacCulloch11 said:

Im with you Bro...Its back to reality for the Celtics after playing on a high after the trade for a few weeks. They can tailspin quickly with Toine' chucking it up all day. Dallas smacked them back to reality and it will continue.

I wouldnt count us out at all of anything...the division..making a great playoff run..etc. I have seen this team do well through too much adversity this year.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i think its very possible, the nets have been hanging around the third spot all season about fives games out. all it takes is a mini streak by the nets and considering that we meet boston two more times this season gives us a lot of hope to win another division title with three more weeks left in the season. i also wouldnt count out rj....

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
first things first. Orlando and then Philadelphia, one at time. We can't seem to gain any ground on Orlando, after closing it to within .5 games.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nets have been playing good ball recently so i think its fairly possible.

·
Registered
510 Posts
kdub said:
first things first. Orlando and then Philadelphia, one at time. We can't seem to gain any ground on Orlando, after closing it to within .5 games.
Yes I have been noticing that too. Orlando has been much better and they have an easy schedule the rest of the way. But we play them once and if we win we will have the tie-breaker

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Orlando has a tough schedule actually. But I think we need to concentrate on just winning. Like the Nets have been saying, can't worry where anyone else is at, just need to focus on winning ourselves some games. The rest will fall into place. :yes:

·
Registered
839 Posts
ya, orlando´s sched is tough. and now philly lost webber (who knows for how long though). we can get alot of help there. but i agree, one game/one team at a time. we´re in a very good spot right now. plus, indiana plays miami tonight, so we can get help there too.

GO HEAT :banana:

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
This is a prediction based on records alone, on whether or not NJ can pass Boston in the Atlantic..

Current records: Boston 38-33; NJ 34 - 38

BOS schedule with prediction...

@ATL (11-60) W
PHI (35-36) W
@WASH (40-30) L
MIL (27-44) W
@NJ (34-38) W
@PHI (35-36) W
@MIL (27-44) W
MIA (54-18) L
@TOR (29-42) W
@CLE (37-32) L
@NJ (34-38) W

NJ schedule with prediction...

@NY (29-41) W
ORL (34-37) L
@CLE (37-32) L
NY (29-41) W
BOS (38-33) L
@IND (36-34) L
@TOR (29-42) W
PHI (35-36) L
WASH (40-30) L
@BOS (38-33) L

Records at the end of season: Boston 46 - 36; NJ 37 - 45

Doing it that way, NJ won't even make the playoffs, let alone win their division. But if NJ can get key wins against ORL, BOS, and PHI, that brings NJ's record up to 41-41, which should definately put us in the playoffs and bring Bostons record down to 44-38, in which case if we can get a few more wins (IND, WASH, CLE are the only other teams left on NJ's schedule with records above .500, and those games are completely winnable). But, that would mean NJ ending the season on a 12 game winning streak, which I don't really think NJ is currently capable of. If we can win 8 of our last 10 games which we are capable of and BOS can choke on a few, we definately have a shot at first place in the ATL. Having the only current winning streak in the division certainly gives us some momentum during the final stretch.

Since I have some extra time on my hands, heres a prediction for IND, PHI, and ORL.

Current records: (7)IND 36-34; (8)PHI 35-36; ORL 34-37

IND schedule with predictions...

MIA (54-18) L
@WASH (40-30) L
@NY (29-41) W
CLE (37-32) L
WASH (40-30) L
NY (29-41) W
@TOR (29-42) W
NJ (34-38) W
PHI (35-36) W
@MIA (54-18) L
@ORL (34-37) W
CHI (39-31) L

PHI schedule with predictions...

DAL (48-23) L
@BOS (38-33) L
CHA (15-55) W
CLE (37-32) L
@WASH (40-30) L
BOS (38-33) L
MIA (54-18) L
@IND (36-34) L
@NJ (34-38) W
MIL (27-44) W
ATL (11-60) W

ORL schedule with predictions...

WASH (40-30) L
@NJ (34-38) L
@DAL (48-23) L
CHI (39-31) L
DET (44-27) L
CLE (37-32) L
@DET (44-27) L
@CHI (39-31) L
@MIL (27-44) W
IND (36-34) L
MIA (54-18) L

Records at the end of season: IND 42-40; PHI 39-43; ORL 35-47

I don't know about you, but this gives me a LOT more optimism for NJ being able to at least get the #8 seed, if not #7 if we don't win the division. You can almost stick a dagger in Orlando right now. Philadelphia's schedule isn't very pretty for them. Indiana is without JO and RA for the rest of the season so their predicted record is optimistic. NJ is playing better than their record indicates and we have probably the "easiest" schedule of any team we're competing with for the rest of the season. :cheers:

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
PHeNoM Z28 said:
@NY (29-41) W
ORL (34-37) L
@CLE (37-32) L
NY (29-41) W
BOS (38-33) L
@IND (36-34) L
@TOR (29-42) W
PHI (35-36) L
WASH (40-30) L
@BOS (38-33) L
You don't think we can beat the Magic (w/o Jameer), the Pacers (again), or even take 1 game from the Celtics?

-Petey

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Petey said:
You don't think we can beat the Magic (w/o Jameer), the Pacers (again), or even take 1 game from the Celtics?

-Petey
Read the whole post ;) I based that solely on records alone as to not get any bias in the way. BUT, yes I do think we can beat all of those teams with the way NJ is playing together right now.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
PHeNoM Z28 said:
Read the whole post ;) I based that solely on records alone as to not get any bias in the way. BUT, yes I do think we can beat all of those teams with the way NJ is playing together right now.
I know... but you used overall records instead of records verus teams for the Indiana matchup...

-Petey

1 - 20 of 23 Posts