Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the bench playing like crap lately, everyone had Griffin in the back of their minds that he will be our help off the bench. I think maybe the players and coaches felt this way too. Now that he isn't coming, do you think the Nets settle with the bench we have, or do we make a move? I don't think our bench woes should be ignored because we played one good game against the Sixers and because we signed Hubie D.

I'm all for making a trade. I would be willing to trade anyone other then our big 3, and I would prefer trading Collins and Luscious in some kind of package.

Firing Scott was a good way to shake things up, but I definitely don't think it will be enough for us to contend.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
I am all for making a trade as well, barring the big 3 from being in it. I want Harris, Collins, and Rogers out as soon as possible, though Rogers will be tough with his contract. Im sure you guys know a couple a players that I would love to trade for.;)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Anybody with an appreciation for clinical depression knew that the Griffin signing was a gamble - in its own way, very similar to the Zo signing, except Zo had a transplant surgery option beyond regular treatment. Ain't no brain transplant surgeries yet.

I would hope the Nets organization, especially Thorn, understood that they could not rely on Griffin to be a contributor. The best case scenario would have been Griffin making a short-term contribution, a la Brian Williams in the Bulls' 96-97 championship run. Brian Williams, of course, was like Griffin, a GREAT talent whose NBA career was short-circuited by clinical depression.

Eddie Griffin was supposed to back up both SF and PF, so as far as what the Nets need to do, the spotlight is back squarely on Rogers and Scalabrine. That trade dead-line is awfully close and, outside the core players, the trade value is slim. I can see Twin going. I can see A-Train going. I can see Veal going. I can see draft picks going. I don't know who would take Harris. Thorn might be able to convince a team to trade for Rogers, who has talent and a reasonable contract for a team who believes in his talent.

Best case scenario would be a Rogers renaissance and Veal to take his game to the next level, but even if that happens, the Nets still need to add a wing and a PG. (Sorry, I just don't think the rookie can be counted on this season.)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, IMO Griffin will not play as a Net. HE won't play this year, and its unsure if he will ever play for another team again.

I just hope this was the last risk we take on any player. Seems like all of the gambles we take never work out for us.:mad:

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DeezNets</b>!
Well, IMO Griffin will not play as a Net. HE won't play this year, and its unsure if he will ever play for another team again.

I just hope this was the last risk we take on any player. Seems like all of the gambles we take never work out for us.:mad:
Griffin WAS a low cost, low risk gamble, after all. Unlike speculation about what the Nets could have acquired with Zo's salary, Griffin didn't cost the Nets anybody. Basically, his return to Houston for treatment puts the Nets back to where they were roster-wise when he was picked up - you know, square one.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, not only from a financial stand point, but from a fans as well. So many of us were looking forward to Griffin, as well as Zo. The organization keeps telling us "Zo is cleared to play", "Griffin looks like he can contribute". I understand that they can't predict these things, but it does get us amped up for no reason.

Reminds me of Mets fans a few weeks ago with the rumored Vladimir signing.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Yeah, I understand. The Nets have a big hole for Griffin to fill and I was looking forward to seeing him play, too. Knowing his problem, though, I didn't get my hopes up. If anything, an addiction like alcoholism is easier to treat than depression, and we see what happened to Vin Baker. The NBA and depression simply don't mix. I imagine Griffin will give it another shot this season, but there's no easy fix for what he's got.

OT: As a Mets fan, I didn't put too much stock in Guerrero coming to NY. Even if he did, knowing the Mets, I'd bet even money his back gave out. Piazza moving to first, the closer what's-his-name, the Japanese kid at short and Mike Cameron in center are good enough changes for me.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OT

I'm not a Met fan, but I did hear an interview a few weeks ago with Mike and the Mad Dog and Jim Duquette(sp?). They were blasting him for the same reasons I just said. Why would they offer Vlad money and get all of the fans excited and then let him get away when there is a chance he can be on of the best in the majors. They said Wilpon was the man to blame, but Duquette was the only one who was willing to be interviewed. it was a very good interview IMO.

They said they didn't want to up the ante becuase the Dr's said his back may give out. Mine and the MD, then bashed him for letting the Dr.s decide who to sign and who not to sign. Overall it was a good listen.

Point is, is that it was nice for the two weeks or so to day dream at work about the Nets and the arrival of Griffin. Now with Griffin not coming here, we are stuck with the same sorry bench, and I hope Thorn soon realizes, we need some bench help. Even Scalabrine sounded excited about Griffin in his diary thing.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
With Veal - that's the tricky thing for people who deal with clinically depressed people. Anti-social, withdrawn and/or escape-from-reality (including drug abuse) behavior is usually a good indicator of depression. Otherwise, there's no obvious outside gauge, except a person changes for the worse - in any number of ways. A person may even appear to be functioning at a high level, and then just suddenly stops. People around the depressed person, including friends and family, often don't understand why he or she is acting differently, and even take personal offense. They can't see the bad stuff happening internally.

In terms of understanding what Griffin is going through, I didn't like the ESPN Insider article (why I felt a need to add my own addendum) because it implied a neat cause-and-effect package, a cliched story of reformation with a literary beginning and end. Life isn't that neat, and depression most certainly is not that neat. Depression runs deeply and as complicated as the mind itself. The story made misleading inferences about what Griffin is dealing with, and the misperceptions, even well-intended, of others could not have helped him.

In Griffin and the Nets favor, Frank seems to have a good handle on how to deal with his situation:

"This threw us all for a curve, but we knew there was a lot of work to be done," Frank said. "Any time you have a problem, it takes time. A wave of the wand won't make it go away. If you don't take care of it now, it will linger. If Eddie were playing and not taking care of his problem, it would be self-destructive. The best thing he could do is what he's doing."

I respect the Nets a lot for NOT pressuring Eddie Griffin to play because - as Frank recognizes - it would have been destructive for Griffin. It would have led to some form of self-destruction, perhaps even suicide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts