Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello everyone .. i'm at work so i didn't get to see the game but from looking at the box score ... i was just wondering how Jared Jefferies was looking ... Is he getting overpowered b/c of his skinny frame and How is Juan Dixon look running the point? From the box score he looks like he playing shooting guard w/ him taking 20 shots ...

Etan Thomas looks great and so does Bobby Simmons.

Hope the rooks start improving (especially JJ)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Typical sloppy summer league play from the Wizards. Don't have much time so I will make it quick:

Etan - He knows exactly what he can and can't do and the things he does well he does with consistency. He rebouded (offensive and defensive) well and put bakc shot. He played above average defense.

Juan - Damn he is confident and seems like a leader. He will be able to spell some time at the 1 but not full time. Needs to be aware of the shot clock better and improve his shot selection. His defense will be fine.

Haywood - Same Haywood. He really wasn't given the ball in the post at all. Hope the knee is fine.

JJ - Overall good court sense. Needs to improve his fotwork on defense to cover 3's night in and night out. Much too tentative, which is not surprising coming from Indiana. Decent handle although when pressured he got a little rattled

Don't have any more time or I would write more. My overall feeling is that JJ will be a decent bench player this year. Juan performed better than I expected.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Just watched the Wiz and have some concerns ,first off Dixon's speed and confidence was very evident all he needs to do is pass the damn ball, he has absoloutely no pg instincts whatsoever ,he'll be able to add to the Wiz this year because he's agressive and can flat fill it up ,he doesn't have the NBA 3 down yet though.

JJefferies really impressed me with his ability to handle the ball and make really good reads on his passes, He needs to be more agressive looking for his shot and play from the wing more and not so much from the key, He also needs to hit the weights and get much stronger in the upper body he was being rode off his shot too many times forcing up bad shots, He needs to get a reliable jumpshot also seemed really tenative to pull the trigger, what scares the hell out of me is he a player that can help us this year or is he another project like Kwame who I love but we need Jefferies to be productive this year. Maybe when the vets come in he can play more in control and agressive,I sure the hell hope so.

Bobby Simmons we need to cut he got torched by Forte early in the game,and was hiding from the ball offensively ,

brendan looks much bigger in the upper body buy he didn't get the ball that much. i really wanted to see if he's been working on his post moves but because of the lack of a pg he couldn't get the ball.

Etan started slowly but got more agressive as the game went on he seems to be on track with his game ,very active around the hoop both offensively and defensively.

We need a pg in the worst way .

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I think Collins made a good point after the first game about Dixon running the point and the rest of the guys staying stagnant. I don't think when you have Simmons and Jeffries on the wing, you are left with too many options. He looked comfortable enough out there and he was definitely taking a leadership role at the point of the offense.

Jeffries looked very comfortable with the ball. He needs to work on it a little more, but I can see what excites Collins about his game. He makes smart passes and looks for others. His aggressiveness is not necessarily an issue to me because I think he is adjusting to the perimeter more in the NBA. The offense looked better with Jeffries out top mainly because I think Dixon is a good off the ball player and left Jeffries options. He had a few opportunites to either go strong to the rack or dribble-shoot but sort of left himself inbetween. Experience will fix that.

Etan and Haywood look like they are at least picking up where they left off. Haywood is still recovering from his knee surgery and there was a reason I think he was going to play half of the camp, splitting time with Etan. Etan played as we pretty much expected. He cleaned up the messes and did the dirty work. Both of these guys have time scheduled at PNBMC so I think they still have plenty of time and motivation to improve their post skills. It takes time with big men and I am not worried.

I could care less about the rest of the guys other than Jamal Robinson who I thought was decent but not good enough to make the squad. Go Hoos.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Hey,

Not much. Just surviving and trying to bring life to yet another Wizards board after the shoddy treatment I got at this other place.

As you can see, things are calmer here but I am going to have to say that for the most part, since I am the majority poster on the Wizards board, the conversation is much more intelligent.

Stick around. I had a soapbox with your name on it around here somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good to talk to you again. You were missed over on RealGM. Well, not by everyone. I started a Free BCH movement and that went over like a ton of bricks with the mods. Bullsnews.com got tossed due to his very eloquent response to it so it certainly had at least a bit of a positive impact.

Need some more people over here.

What did you think about the drafting of my boy Juan? I was shocked being as my guy told me in January they thouht he'd have real problems. I don't think he's a classic PG by any stretch but he'll do whatever's required to beat you. I loved the pick and took a large amount of flack for supporting it over there. As for Jeffries, I'm starting to love that pick. Once he gets his feet wet and the Wiz figure out how to best utilize his amazing skill set, we could have a serious weapon on our hands. I don't see him ever being a 25ppg scorer or a 12 rpg but it doesn't look like there's anything he can't do well.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
When Juan got picked I was extremely upset. I was on the phone with a friend at the time and was stunned.

I tried not to pass judgement and to try and view what went down from Collins perspective. I waited a day.and got some perspective.

It is about winning and basketball intelligence. Juan is a winner. Jeffries is a winner. They both have high basketball IQ. They both know what it is to make sacrifices and to be a part of a team. I think it was a message sent as well as another step in the development of this team by MJ and Collins.

The more I thinkt about Juan, I think that I will have no problems with him. Defensively he was the best choice for our needs at that spot. Competively he was the best choice for our needs at that spot. These were two areas that Alexander did not excel in, and Juan coming in has him beat there already.

Offensively I have a little concern but so far he has shown he is aggressive with the ball.

I have to admit. I think we were a great fit for Juan and I am glad he is on the team. I like him more and more every day.

As for Jeffries, I was extremely excited about that pick. I hate to say it but I wanted him more than Butler. I am glad he is not too boring for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, Jeffries doesn't bore the crap out of me anymore, and I was on record with that prior to the draft so it isn't just homerism.

I think what really sold me was that you heard nothing but rave reviews by everyone that worked him out. A team or two blowing smoke is one thing but it was unanimous. Also, in everything you read about him, you never found a single thing negative. About the worst I could find was he doesnt excel at anything but is very good at everything. That didn't sound too bad to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i think with time, Juan will learn to fit in where he is needed.... they also made a good point about his athleticism, and being that multi-faceted type of player .... minus the size. I like the prospects of him with this team.... no...love them.

Jeffries i was real impressed with....simply cuz of his confidence and demeanor on the court. We all know what he is capable of from the NCAA tourney.... All I could think of was that his confidence was 50 times greater than Kwame's was at this time last year....(no diss on Kwame).... loved how he took the ball up the court....anyone see the follow-up dunk on Juan's miss?

Etan....confidence keeps going higher and higher since recovering from the toe...(or was it foot?) i like his mobility and obvious dominance in the summer leagues down low.... he could be a force i think.

obviously, summer league play is no great indicator of things to come, but you have to admit that despite all the sloppy play, etc. they had a good workout in.... and there was some obvious ability there....

I'm looking forward to the season....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Originally posted by BCH
Hey,

Not much. Just surviving and trying to bring life to yet another Wizards board after the shoddy treatment I got at this other place.

As you can see, things are calmer here but I am going to have to say that for the most part, since I am the majority poster on the Wizards board, the conversation is much more intelligent.

Stick around. I had a soapbox with your name on it around here somewhere.
Haha, I love a guy with modesty. Far too rare an attribute these days.

:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
From an outsiders perspective....

Juan looks like he could be something. His offensive aggressivness was bare none the top in the game, easily and surely you can expect the same in regular season game. The defensive end was where he really stood out though. He pressured the rock from 3/4 on and hard. I couldn't be more impressed with him. Really the pick was a great one if you really look at it. I digress... If Juan turns out to be the player I suspect, he could make MJ,Doug and co. look like real genius'.

JJ also looked good but was not nearly aggressive enough. I would have liked to see him attack the rim more. He will overcome that eventually though. The things that impressed me with him was his overall court sense which didn't stand out as much in college. His ability to handle the rock and make the good pass were awesome. Just seems to be the complete package as a player. A new breed of complete player though.. Not the TMac or Kobe type but more along the lines of a Larry Bird type of talent although in amuch,much lesser degree.

·
Registered
3 Posts
keep in mind that Jeffries is learning the offense...learning the new tempo of the game, the nuances of NBA game.... he is trying to learn the fluidity of it all, when to throw up shots, and decision-making that will ultimately make him into the player he will be....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts