Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Wizards lineup???

2K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  local_sportsfan 
I think it's really too early to tell. My preference would be to go with the kids as much as possible. Also, whenever matchups permit, I think I'd like to give Etan time at center.

Something like:

PG- Hughes 32 / MJ 8 / Dixon or Lue 8
SG- Rip 36 / MJ 12
SF- Jeffries 28 / Nesby 12 / Grizzard or Simmons 8
PF- Brown 28 / Thomas 10 / Laettner 10
C- Thomas 12 / White 18 / Haywood 18

I'm not totally comfortable with the SF situation, but unless we can translate Whitney, Lue, Laettner, and/or Davis into something better than Nesby we might as well just sign the latter to steady the boat and then hope that Jeffries and Simmons prove capable.

He might, but I'd really rather he not. At least, no more than a token 4-6 minutes at the start of the game.

Reasons:

1. I wonder if "bulking up" as he did last year was part of the reason his knees went south. It's amazing just how small differences like that can throw one's body out of whack.

2. The more he plays at SF, the more he's got to bang against guys that, at this point, are bigger, stronger, and faster. That's more wear and tear on him.

But, realistically, you're probably right, he'll play some there. How about this:

PG- Hughes 32 / MJ 8 / Dixon or Lue 8
SG- Rip 36 / MJ 12
SF- MJ 6 / Jeffries 24 / Nesby 10 / Grizzard or Simmons 8
PF- Brown 28 / Thomas 10 / Laettner 10
C- Thomas 12 / White 18 / Haywood 18

At that point, though, we've got 12 guys as part of the regular rotation. That seems a bit much to me. Maybe Nesby takes away Grizzard/Simmon's minutes (probably, those guys would swap time on the IR unless someone establishes himself).

I agree with BCH that Laettner is hard to get rid of... he's too good to not play, but he's too old to be in the long term plans. I'd prefer to trade him instead of White though, because White's young and can do certain things very well.

The question is, can we get anyone who's a better fit than Nesby by trading Laettner (maybe packaged with Davis, Lue, and/or Whitney)?

In my mind, Baron would be the right guy. He's the kind of leader I think we need.

Right now, it really seems like, short of MJ, we don't have much identity. Although Rip is a good player, and Kwame has the potential to be a very good player, I don't know that either of them has the kind of leadership and star power that I see in Baron

Originally posted by ThatGuy
Errr.. you guys are weird. We just traded Alexander to the Hornets, chiefly because he and Rip were getting in each other's way. Now, you expect to send Hamilton to the Hornets as part of a package to get Baron Davis? Makes a lot of sense..... not.

And if a trade goes down, it will be to get a starting small forward, and hopefully get rid of some dead weight (cap and playerwise). With the emergence of Etan Thomas as a physical presence, I find it quite likely that Jahidi gets moved. At the time of the draft, there were rumors that Jahidi might go to the Magic. We'll see.

If it were up to me, I'd trade Jahidi to the Kings for Turkoglu.
First, I don't need the attitude. Why not keep it a little respectful.

Second, I don't think anyone actually said "hey, let's trade Rip for Baron Davis".

Third, I in particular would be more than willing to trade Rip for Baron Davis. From the Wizards' perspective, its a great trade. Yeah, the hornets wouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean it's any worse for us.

OK, the most obvious point that needs to be made is that just because a three way trade is totally feasible, in which we were to part with Rip (and other guys) to get Baron or Miller.

At this point, I don't expect any deals to happen; they seemed to indicate Hughes was their "answer" at point, and have given no hint of a move of Rip (or anyone else of consequence). I agree of BCH's list of people who might be on their way out, the problem is that I don't see us getting much in return for any of those guys.

And additionally, I don't see us getting one of those tops FAs next year.

Personally, I'm not all that happy with the way things look in the long run. I think we need someone like Davis... someone that's going to bring star power, identity, and leadership to the team. Maybe I'm just judging things wrong, but I don't see Rip or Kwame really filling that kind of role. I'd quietly inquire around to see if we could deal Kwame (and Rip if anyone's interested) to get one of those PGs.

Yeah, we might be a season away from the best time to make a deal like that, but I see it coming.

Do you guys really think people will come to see Miles? I personally don't think so. Honestly, I don't see him being hyped a lot... if you asked the average Joe on the street who's not a big sports fan, I don't think they'd know who Darius Miles is.

If I was Cleveland, I'd be marketing the hell out of DaJuan, but that's just me.

This is an interesting conversation in itself (and one that's relavent to the Wiz). Even if the the player himself, or his team wasn't that great in total, what players, as individuals are "draws" to you?

I would consider going to a game just to see AI play. Off the court, he's got some issues, but he's all blood, guts, and lightning quickness on the court.

Other players I'd pay to see: MJ, Garnett, Dirk and Nash, Baron Davis, Shaq and Kobe, TMac, Steve Francis, Jason Kidd, a young Scottie Pippen, Ron Artest (mostly because of his defensive intensity, but also to see if he freaks out). Reggie Miller (in the playoffs).

Guys I might pay to see in the future: Tyson Chandler, DaJuan Wagner, Jay Williams, Jason Richardson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.