Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Wizards lineup???

2K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  local_sportsfan 
Errr.. you guys are weird. We just traded Alexander to the Hornets, chiefly because he and Rip were getting in each other's way. Now, you expect to send Hamilton to the Hornets as part of a package to get Baron Davis? Makes a lot of sense..... not.

And if a trade goes down, it will be to get a starting small forward, and hopefully get rid of some dead weight (cap and playerwise). With the emergence of Etan Thomas as a physical presence, I find it quite likely that Jahidi gets moved. At the time of the draft, there were rumors that Jahidi might go to the Magic. We'll see.

If it were up to me, I'd trade Jahidi to the Kings for Turkoglu.

I suppose I don't really care if you "need the attitude". Maybe you are simply too sensitive.

As for the other bit, you can feel free to pretend that

With Hughes on board, is it feasible to consider a trade that would involve Rip?

I'd trade damn near anyone to get Baron Davis
doesn't mean what it obviously does, but that's cool. Just for you, buddy, I'll be nicer, but realize that you are the one being antagonistic at this point, and are in no position to dictate tone.

In any event, since we're talking lineups, and can in fact agree that there is a PG deficiency. I'd find it far more likely, but not probably, that we could in fact pry Andre Miller, he of 16.5 points, 11 assists, and 5 boards a game from the el-cheapo Cavaliers.

While I love Kwame, and think in time he will develop to be an all-star 4, the emergence of Etan tells me that for the next year or so, at least, we could start him at the 4 and not lose much, once you balance out Kwame's potential on offense and fast-breakability with Etan's muscle and defense on the low post. Soo... a trade involving Kwame, the Wizards #1 next year, and Andre Miller (with other components filling in the blanks in terms of backup PGs such as Lue, and someone from the Cavs with an expiring conctract (mebbe Nick Anderson) to balance out the salaries. It's hard to say you'd give up Kwame, but your starting backcourt of Rip and Andre would consist of a young proven 20 point scorer, and the league's assist leaders who puts up plenty of points on his own.

Assuming we would then be able to resign Popeye, I think we'd still be ok in the frontcourt, what with Jahidi (of course assuming we dont trade him for a SF), Brendan, Etan, Popeye, and the semi-useless Christian Laettner.

It's a team that based on inside muscle and outside shooting alone would easily be a playoff team in the talent-starved East.

MJ tried to grab Miller in a deal last year before the draft that involved Rip for MJ. The Cavs didn't bite then, and as much as you might think they would do it now, they aren't unless we overpay in terms of talent.

I like Rip a lot. However, I also know the value of a SG in this league and the value of a top PG. If moving Rip and a few spare parts nets us Baron or Andre then go for it. BUt like MikeDC said, it isn't going to happen.
I assume you meant "involved Rip for Andre" in the first line. In any event, I never suggested involving Rip in any trade for a point guard, and wouldnt be quick to do so. The team has enough young talent that I dont think it needs to overreach for other pieces of the puzzle, what with the salary room available in 2k3 for a premier free agent. In one way or another, however, its somewhat obvious that some of the pieces that have been hoarded and are currently on the roster will be moved. Unseld has admitted that trade options are still being vigorously pursued. Now, whether thats just a trade involving Jahidi and Mike Miller (put him next to Popeye, and what a handsome pair you have! :) ) or something more ambitious, I don't know. It's a shame that we werent able to pull off the Bibby trade last year, but whats done is done.

Plenty of the restricted players will in fact sign one year deals, and even beyond that, there are plenty of UFAs coming up in 2k3. No need to hold my breath. Thanks for your concern though.

And considering that the bulk of the "moveable" players on the team outside of Jahidi were acquired in the past year and a half, it's hard to say that they dont fit the "direction" of the team. I think its safer to say that the Wizards went on a talent hunt, because they were sorely lacking youthful talent at practically every single position 1 1/2 years ago outside of Rip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.