Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does everybody want the Wizards to cut Chris Whitney? Does anybody realize Whitney was the best 3 point shooter on the team and one of the best in the league? Ever since the Rip and Hurbert trade the Wizards don't have a single player that can hit the 3 pointer consistanly.

Last year Whitney had the best season of his career and average just over 10ppg. Whitney was also 3rd leader scorer on the team right behind MJ and Rip. Chris has been on the team longer than anybody over 5 years now.

Whitney plays better when MJ is on the floor because whenver MJ is doubled and tripled teamed he can easily hit the open 3 pointer. Early last season MJ said Chris Whitney is like his Steve Kerr.

So why would the Wizards want to cut a guy like that?

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mario2300</b>!
Why does everybody want the Wizards to cut Chris Whitney? Does anybody realize Whitney was the best 3 point shooter on the team and one of the best in the league? Ever since the Rip and Hurbert trade the Wizards don't have a single player that can hit the 3 pointer consistanly.

Last year Whitney had the best season of his career and average just over 10ppg. Whitney was also 3rd leader scorer on the team right behind MJ and Rip. Chris has been on the team longer than anybody over 5 years now.

Whitney plays better when MJ is on the floor because whenver MJ is doubled and tripled teamed he can easily hit the open 3 pointer. Early last season MJ said Chris Whitney is like his Steve Kerr.

So why would the Wizards want to cut a guy like that?
He's not going anywhere Jordan knows the value of having a player like that on your team

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
The reason is because the Wizards are moving toward a completely versatile lineup and his defense is a liability. He is pretty much a one dimensional 3 point shooter. The Wizards have a roster crunch going on and there might not be room to carry a player like CWhit.

The Wizards were last in 3 point attempts last season. I don't expect that to change much.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just curious Mario2300, who do you think we should cut to keep Whitney?

Don't give me trades since they are so hard to make.

Here is the current list of 17 from BCH in another thread:

1. Hughes 1/2/3
2. Stackhouse 2/3
3. Russell 3/2
4. Brown 4/5
5. Haywood 5
6. Jordan 2/3
7. Thomas 4/5
8. White 5
9. Laettner 4/5
10.Dixon 1/2
11.Jeffries 3/4
12.Oakley 4/5
13.Lue 1
14.Whitney 1
15.Varda 5
16.Simmons 2/3
17.Cardinal 4

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NorthEast Wiz</b>!
Just curious Mario2300, who do you think we should cut to keep Whitney?

Don't give me trades since they are so hard to make.

Here is the current list of 17 from BCH in another thread:

1. Hughes 1/2/3
2. Stackhouse 2/3
3. Russell 3/2
4. Brown 4/5
5. Haywood 5
6. Jordan 2/3
7. Thomas 4/5
8. White 5
9. Laettner 4/5
10.Dixon 1/2
11.Jeffries 3/4
12.Oakley 4/5
13.Lue 1
14.Whitney 1
15.Varda 5
16.Simmons 2/3
17.Cardinal 4
We know White is injured right now and honeslty Lue is a better point than Lue but Lue's younger and Whitney won alot of games for Washington last year, but as I said Jordan knows the value of a player like Whitney and I would doubt he would be cut

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thinking about it I am having trouble determining how Whitney is going to get playing time. I think C. Whit is a nice back-up point guard but I choose him over Lue.

The log jam is you are going to get minutes for Hughes, Lue, Juan, Stack, MJ and Russell at the 1 and 2 spots. I just don't see how he fits in any playing time.

That said and I know I just stated that trades are difficult to make happen but I would try to trade him if I could. There has to be someone willing to take him for a 2nd round draft choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts