Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Aldridge ‏

Wizards, per source, are about to amnesty Andray Blatche.
@daldridgetnt

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
Not suprised. They were removing all the knuckleheads from that squad, so Blatche was a neccessity.

The guy has talent, but he too often drifts around the permiter. For a guy 6'11" who isn't that great of a shooter, that's a no no. He could be useful for some teams, like the Bobcats or somebody.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
A team with some solid vets and a good coach might be the right squad to put in a big on him, but someone like the Bobcats aren't going to do anything good for him. Hell, they've got their own situation they can't handle with a headcase 4 in Tyrus Thomas.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Good for the Wizards. They've officially rid themselves of McGee, Young and Blatche. No more excuses for Wall, he needs to start winning this year with these guys and I think he will. With the lack of depth anticipated in the East, they really should make the playoffs with Wall, Beal and Nene as well as guys like Crawford, Vesely, Singleton, Ariza, Okafor and Booker. They're still young, but there's no reason they can't be a pretty good defensive team and have the ability to score in transition. Wall's going to have to be better in generating half court offense, but I think he can do it. The pieces are there.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Good for the Wizards. They've officially rid themselves of McGee, Young and Blatche. No more excuses for Wall, he needs to start winning this year with these guys and I think he will. With the lack of depth anticipated in the East, they really should make the playoffs with Wall, Beal and Nene as well as guys like Crawford, Vesely, Singleton, Ariza, Okafor and Booker. They're still young, but there's no reason they can't be a pretty good defensive team and have the ability to score in transition. Wall's going to have to be better in generating half court offense, but I think he can do it. The pieces are there.
I would like to see them run a few minutes of Wall, Ariza, Singleton, Booker, and Nene each half to see if they can pressure another team into mistakes and turnovers.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Some of you think the Wizards are a playoff squad now?

I don't see it. I agree dumping Blatche was a good move though.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Dumping Blatche was necessary. Wall needs to a lot better for the Wizards to make the playoffs. Dude still can not shoot to save his life (too tired for lame Arenas or Crittenton joke)

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Some of you think the Wizards are a playoff squad now?

I don't see it. I agree dumping Blatche was a good move though.
They should be, or at least much improved and in contention. If not, you can forget about John Wall ever being a real franchise player.

Look at that lineup cpawfan posted. That should be a heck of a defensive unit. Like I said, Wall is going to have to generate more offense in the half court, but they have a group that can run and score in transition. Ariza and Okafor should help, because they aren't going to be asked to do too much in Washington. They're the kinda guys who have been put in roles too big for them in the past, but they're valuable with smaller defined roles.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
They should be, or at least much improved and in contention. If not, you can forget about John Wall ever being a real franchise player.

Look at that lineup cpawfan posted. That should be a heck of a defensive unit. Like I said, Wall is going to have to generate more offense in the half court, but they have a group that can run and score in transition. Ariza and Okafor should help, because they aren't going to be asked to do too much in Washington. They're the kinda guys who have been put in roles too big for them in the past, but they're valuable with smaller defined roles.
Hrm... well you have the obvious playoff teams... (in no real order)
Miami
Chicago
Indiana
Boston

You have the teams that'll probably be in...
Brooklyn
New York
Philadelphia

The teams that simply WILL NOT...
Charlotte
Orlando

And then there's the 8th seed, do they finish ahead of all of these teams...
Cleveland
Detroit
Toronto
Milwaukee
Atlanta

... I don't see it as impossible. Atlanta still has the pieces to make the playoffs. Toronto has quietly improved. Cleveland could be surprisingly strong going after that 8th seed. Is Milwaukee still a basketball team? I can barely name anyone there outside of Jennings/Ellis. Detroit obviously would need to be able to get in with about 38 wins, which is their best case with a team as flawed as they are.

Washington can definitely be a playoff team with their roster.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I'd move Chicago down to "probably in" with Rose's injury and Philadelphia down to the "unknown" fighting for the last couple spots without Brand and Williams. To me, Washington should grab one of those spots or Wittman should be fired.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
The real question is how many Eastern Conference teams actually try to make the playoffs if all they can hope for is that 8th seed. A lot of them are going to opt for ping pong balls rather than a short stay in the wood shed. This past season Milwaukee was pretty much the only East team which both tried to make the playoffs and failed to do so.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Yea, Washington might be the favorites among the group of fringe teams to grab the last spot in the playoffs, but there's no telling what direction they may go in. Developing Wall and Beal has to be their top priority this season, so playing in meaningful games with stable teammates should do them a lot of good.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
My thing is long term with Okafor and Nene how does that work...essentially you traded dummies for guys who are about to be old and overpaid

I just hope it doesn't become a mini-Cleveland situation where the roster (they're locked into) just doesn't appeal to Wall and he walks. Got to be smart how they manage this.

As for Blatche...saw it coming. It's saying a lot when you're a 25 year old versatile big on a decent deal and you get amnestied.

That's pretty much like having "I stole 14 computers from my last job" on your work history

1 - 20 of 20 Posts