Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Washington Wizards and Drew Gooden III have agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.3 million, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.

Gooden’s return was expected and rounds out Washington’s 15-man roster, though a move could be made to create a vacancy or alter the composition. It also likely signals the anticipated end of Kevin Seraphin’s career with the Wizards. Seraphin, a backup center last season, remains an unrestricted free agent.

Gooden, 33, has found a home in the District after joining the Wizards on a 10-day contract in March 2014 to provide front-court depth. He re-signed last summer and developed into a viable stretch-four option. He shot 39 percent from behind the three-point line in 51 regular season games with career highs in makes (23) and attempts (59). His output improved in 10 playoff games to 46.2 percent (12 of 26).

Washington initially believed Gooden, a 13-year veteran, could be re-signed on a minimum deal, worth $1.499 million for a player with 10-plus years of experience, but the bloated market — and teams valuing floor-spacing big men — dictated otherwise. Gooden made $1.448 million from the Wizards last season but was also on the Milwaukee Bucks’ payroll for $6.68 million after he was amnestied in 2013. He is no longer on Milwaukee’s books.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2015/07/09/wizards-to-re-sign-drew-gooden-iii-to-one-year-deal-worth-3-3-million/

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
He actually gave them valuable minutes last season. I've got no problem with this signing... but I hope this doesn't mean they have completely given up on Kevin Seraphin. That guy still has untapped potential.

So I guess this is their line-up now...

PG John Wall/Ramon Sessions/Garrett Temple
SG Bradley Beal/Gary Neal/Alan Anderson
SF Jared Dudley/Martell Webster/Kelly Oubre
PF Nene/Otto Porter/DeJuan Blair
C Marcin Gortat/Kris Humphries/Drew Gooden

Not really sure how the rotations will work out with this team. They might wind up sending Temple and Oubre down to the D-League to start the season. They definitely added a lot of wing depth to precompensate for all the injuries they always seem to suffer.

And speaking of injuries, when Nene inevitably gets hurt I think this team might be best served just going small with Porter as the starting PF. Those line-ups helped them out a great deal in the playoffs, and he's only going to improve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts