Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Washington Wizards wanted a stronger, quicker guard backing up All-Star John Wall. The Sacramento Kings were searching for a savvy reserve to provide leadership.

And a few hours before the NBA trade deadline, they found a way to meet each other's needs.

The Wizards acquired Ramon Sessions from the Kings for Andre Miller on Thursday, a minor move both teams hope pays off big this season.

"Ramon is a proven veteran who will bring an up-tempo style to our second unit and give us quickness, energy and defensive presence," Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld said. "He can make plays for himself as well as others and will help to solidify our bench as we head into the final 28 games of the season and the playoffs."

The 28-year-old Sessions has struggled in Sacramento, averaging 5.4 points, 2.7 assists and 17.8 minutes for a team that is on its third coach this season. But he averaged 12.3 points, 4.1 assists and 26.7 minutes with Charlotte and Milwaukee last season and has been a reliable reserve for most of his career.

The players dealt were among 39 to change hands Thursday, a day that marked the busiest NBA trade deadline day in 25 years.

Washington (33-21) is counting on Sessions to be a more athletic defender than Miller. Sessions also is a shoot-first point guard who can give the second unit some scoring punch.

Karl and the Kings (18-34) will lean on Miller to provide veteran leadership on a team that has sorely lacked it.

Miller, who turns 39 in March, is averaging 3.6 points, 2.8 assists and 12.4 minutes. He played for Karl from 2003-07 and 2011-13 with the Nuggets.

"Adding Andre bolsters our backcourt with one of the most prolific ball distributors in the game," said Kings general manager Pete D'Alessandro, who worked for the Nuggets during Miller's time in Denver. "He'll also provide veteran leadership to the locker room and a wealth of experience at the point guard position. We're excited to have him join the team. We also want to thank Ramon and wish him the best moving forward."

Both teams return from the All-Star break Friday night. Washington hosts Cleveland, and Sacramento is home against Boston for Karl's debut as the franchise's coach.

The Kings hired Karl over the All-Star break to replace Tyrone Corbin, who took over after Michael Malone was fired 24 games into the season.

ESPN

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Sessions was pretty good in Charlotte. He got the rim and the foul line like......well, like it was his job, which it actually was. I think there's a little more upside to this trade for the Wizards than many want to admit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it. I mean Miller is a good veteran but Sessions is much younger and fits in a lot more with the Wizards style.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I like it. I mean Miller is a good veteran but Sessions is much younger and fits in a lot more with the Wizards style.
Miller is a good locker room guy at this point, but he hasn't been effective like he has been in the past. This deal won't make or break the year for the Wiz either way, but Sessions has some real reclamation potential. The extent to which he can't hit from 3 is just brutal though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miller is a good locker room guy at this point, but he hasn't been effective like he has been in the past. This deal won't make or break the year for the Wiz either way, but Sessions has some real reclamation potential. The extent to which he can't hit from 3 is just brutal though.
That's alright, he will see a lot of time with Rasual Butler so hopefully he knows to get him the ball on the perimeter.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
That's alright, he will see a lot of time with Rasual Butler so hopefully he knows to get him the ball on the perimeter.
Yea, if you can pair Sessions with some shooters in order to open up the paint and keep defenses from collapsing on him he can do a lot of good things off the bench. Just have to make sure other people are providing the spacing is all.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, if you can pair Sessions with some shooters in order to open up the paint and keep defenses from collapsing on him he can do a lot of good things off the bench. Just have to make sure other people are providing the spacing is all.
Butler will normally be out with the second unit once Beal is back from his injury. Humphries loves the mid range and Porter is decent. I think Sessions just gives defenses more to worry about, because from a scoring standpoint there isn't much to worry about with Miller these days.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Butler will normally be out with the second unit once Beal is back from his injury. Humphries loves the mid range and Porter is decent. I think Sessions just gives defenses more to worry about, because from a scoring standpoint there isn't much to worry about with Miller these days.
All fair. Is Otto Porter or Martell Webster your backup 3 these days? If it's Porter, he's gotta show he can shoot from outside. Webster's probably fine in that regard, but that's all he can do.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All fair. Is Otto Porter or Martell Webster your backup 3 these days? If it's Porter, he's gotta show he can shoot from outside. Webster's probably fine in that regard, but that's all he can do.
I see Webster a bit but it still seems like Porter is in there a little more often. It is tough for me to watch the Wizards down here in Florida so I could be wrong. The rotation has been a bit out of whack lately with them trying to shake things up and dropping Miller's minutes and then Beal being injured. Butler can play at 3 but I believe they play him at the 2 spot mostly these days and Temple is lucky to see time.

I think the big thing this trade nets us is athleticism. Wall can really turn it on but when the second team comes out everything slowed WAY down with Miller. I am hoping that Sessions can keep the pace up a bit more when Wall is off the court.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
This trade made a lot of sense for both teams. Dre will transition to assistant coach under Karl whenever he's ready to hang 'em up, and Sessions gets to rack up some playoff minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts