Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Minnesota Timberwolves will reportedly amnesty center Darko Milicic in an effort to free up cap space to covet Portland Trail Blazers restricted free agent Nicolas Batum, according to Ric Bucher of ESPN.com

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/12/darko-milicic-minnesota-timberwolves-batum-portland-nba/

His ability to block shots and hit the mid range jumper would make him a good fit for a team like the Heat. Plus if they got him they would have 4 of the top 5 picks from the '03 draft.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Its interesting that the same time we have a draft where no tall shooting Euros were drafted in the lottery, Darko is finally given up on. And Bargnani isn't far behind.

Problem is, his laziness and apathy would not be a fit for the Heat.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
I would embrace Darko on a low-dollar contract in New Orleans. AD needs a vet who can come in a bang with the big centers for 12 - 15 minutes a game.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its interesting that the same time we have a draft where no tall shooting Euros were drafted in the lottery, Darko is finally given up on. And Bargnani isn't far behind.

Well I mentioned the Heat more for the fact that they would have so many top 5 picks from the same class.

I think there are a lot of teams who would take him for cheap.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts

And now that pick isn't a rare blemish on Joe Dumars' record, it just was a harbinger for recent years (and with hindsight would it be Wade or Bosh?).

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Darko can shoot. He took out rival Serbian gangsters during the lockout.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Well I mentioned the Heat more for the fact that they would have so many top 5 picks from the same class.
The Heat now have won championships with #1, #2 and #3 from the 1992 draft.

And won with the #1, #4 and #5 from the 2003 draft. So you do have a point there. Imagine if they had signed Kaman and Darko to back up ?

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
^ And Hinrich.

I'd take Darko in Miami though. He won't make it that far, someone will pick him up.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

So the league is ready to give up on 20ppg Andrea Bargnani?

Do you even watch basketball? Its an honest question.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Depends on your definition of "give up on." The fact is that there were still people blind to the fact that he isn't a cornerstone player - so he could have been referring to them finally losing that hope. He can clearly fill it up, but he's definitely a complementary player out there. I don't know if I ever saw him as more than that. Frankly, he's been in the league six years, anybody still seeing him as more than that is blind. He came into the league hyped because of what he could do to change the pace of the game with his scoring, all he ever sounded like was a third big/sixth man. And frankly I think he'd be a potential top sixth man.

As for Darko... did someone up there say he wanted him going in to New Orleans and banging with bigs? Darko? Banging in the post? ... Right.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
As for Darko... did someone up there say he wanted him going in to New Orleans and banging with bigs? Darko? Banging in the post? ... Right.
Getting Darko on the cheap in NO would be fine. You don't care if he gets hurt, he doesn't keep you from being bad enough to get one more high pick, and anybody who keeps Anthony Davis from having to play out of position at center is a positive acquisition for the Hornets.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
If I'm Darko, I'm going to do what ever I can to get in Miami. I know he already has a championship but he might as well gun for more. Sad part is he'll probably be the best center on the team due to the lack of good actual talent at that position (although at this point, if I'm Miami, I'd go after Kaman or something. At the same time though all they really need I guess is a decent center to guarantee themselves another possible championship run.)

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Getting Darko on the cheap in NO would be fine. You don't care if he gets hurt, he doesn't keep you from being bad enough to get one more high pick, and anybody who keeps Anthony Davis from having to play out of position at center is a positive acquisition for the Hornets.
I was in no way implying that it wouldn't be a decent guy to have cheap for them. I was merely laughing at the thought of him putting in the effort to effectively bang. Any time Darko tries to "bang" down low he fouls out. In about 20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I was in no way implying that it wouldn't be a decent guy to have cheap for them. I was merely laughing at the thought of him putting in the effort to effectively bang. Any time Darko tries to "bang" down low he fouls out. In about 20 minutes.
Ah, fair enough. I'm of the mind that NO should just platoon 3 or 4 cheap centers to keep Davis at his natural position, but I'm not particular about whether they actually be good at what they do.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
If I'm Darko, I'm going to do what ever I can to get in Miami. I know he already has a championship but he might as well gun for more. Sad part is he'll probably be the best center on the team due to the lack of good actual talent at that position (although at this point, if I'm Miami, I'd go after Kaman or something. At the same time though all they really need I guess is a decent center to guarantee themselves another possible championship run.)
if you or most any of us were Darko we wouldnt be having this conversation - he's three toed sloth that just grew taller than most

and jesus if he could shoot he'd be making brook lopez money

and give up bargnani? I think fail x3 in this thread

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Darko can get far more than $1.4 million a year. Someone will pay him.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts