Kai Moon, Sr. G, Binghamton
Hanna Crymble, Sr. F, Vermont
India Pagan, Jr. F, Stony Brook
Kyara Frames, Jr. G, Albany

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Circling back to this, which I planned to follow this year and then every impact player on Maine was lost for the season before conference play started:

Stony Brook is currently 23-1 overall, 11-0 in the conference. They received a couple AP Top 25 votes. The schedule though, it is weak. Two Power 5 games- a 30 point loss at a good Arkansas team, and a 3 point win at 4-19 Pitt. The Seawolves are 9-0 in single digit games, including two real squeakers against UNH. The first game against Maine, at SBU when the Black Bears were in real disarray before settling in post-injuries, was a 4 pointer. The game in Bangor is yet to happen. They pretty much have the 1 seed wrapped up over Lowell and Maine, but they can't really expect to cruise to the autobid or to get an at large if they (for example) don't lose until the conference title game.

On the flip side, despite being picked 5th by the coaches, Hartford is 0-24 on the year. 0-24! The same luck SBU has in close games has been reversed- 0-8 in single digit games. What the heck has happened to this program?

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
And although Stony Brook's coach will no doubt get COTY (deservedly so).....Amy Vachon deserves a ton of credit for avoiding what easily could have been a dumpster fire of a season for Maine.....and even has them seriously in the running for the #2 seed!!! Unbelievable.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
123 Posts
Hypothetically, if SBU runs the table in conference play but loses in the AE finals, would the NCAA really deny a 30-2 team? Not sure what the precedence is

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hypothetically, if SBU runs the table in conference play but loses in the AE finals, would the NCAA really deny a 30-2 team? Not sure what the precedence is
The AE has been a multi-bid league in women's basketball a few times before. 2010 both Hartford and UVM made it and I want to say in like 2000 UVM and Maine both got bids.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The AE has been a multi-bid league in women's basketball a few times before. 2010 both Hartford and UVM made it and I want to say in like 2000 UVM and Maine both got bids.
Also in 1999, Maine lost to Northeastern in the AE final in Burlington, earned a 10 seed, and upset Stanford before losing at Old Dominion in the second round. Northeastern lost at North Carolina.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maine also missed out one year when they went 16-0 in the conference but lost the title game by 2. It's no guarantee.

Stony is currently 76th in RPI. That would be tough to overcome.

·
123 Posts
What were the RPIs of the previous multi-bid teams?
The Pittsburgh P5 win was good on paper but they’ve been worse than most AE teams.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maine beat Stony Brook in overtime on Senior Night this weekend. I think that will end any talk of a Stony Brook at large if they need it. SBU is still the #1 seed for the tourney.

·
123 Posts
Our RPI was 54 before the loss. Probably in at-large territory. Now, I don’t want to know

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Maine has been an incredible story this season. From the shock of one of Maine's all-time best Blanca Millan going down early in the season with an ACL tear......to the depths of despair in December as Maine got smoked time & time again in OOC and the season looked lost.....to the rebound by the players & staff in adjusting to their new reality when conference play started......to a team with a legit shot at winning the AE tourney. Maine is very fortunate to have a head coach in Amy Vachon that is truly a great motivator & in-game coach. She has pushed all the right buttons & made all the right adjustments.

I see 3 teams being able to win this tourney.......Stony Brook, Maine and Binghamton.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maine has been an incredible story this season. From the shock of one of Maine's all-time best Blanca Millan going down early in the season with an ACL tear......to the depths of despair in December as Maine got smoked time & time again in OOC and the season looked lost.....to the rebound by the players & staff in adjusting to their new reality when conference play started......to a team with a legit shot at winning the AE tourney. Maine is very fortunate to have a head coach in Amy Vachon that is truly a great motivator & in-game coach. She has pushed all the right buttons & made all the right adjustments.

I see 3 teams being able to win this tourney.......Stony Brook, Maine and Binghamton.
Agree about these three as the possible champs....Maine is a pleasure to watch, even though as a UVM fan it's painful to watch them carve up the defense......Maine over Stony Brook in a close final.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I ams
Congrats to Hartford (1-28) for their first win of the season 70-67 over Stony Brook (25-3)!
I am so glad for Coach Valley as going winless in your entire first season has to be so tough to deal with no matter what cards you were dealt. It was a perfect storm for Hartford women's this year. They lose their coach late in the game last spring to East Carolina. Of the basically 7 players who played the most minutes last year 5 graduated and the other 2 who could have been impact players (Dicosta the last remaining Rizzotti recruit transferred to follow the coach to East Carolina....and Jade Young who would have been a soph also transferred when the coach left). Valley...the new coach buys the ex-coaches home but has no roster. The has 3 players who played a little last year (one who played about 12 minutes per game ...Ingram....got injured and has been out all season). Basically the entire roster has never played college ball before. Plus 5 players have been out injured all season. 2 players are transfers in who had to sit out (one from URI and one from Central Michigan). One of the players who had to sit out again this year due to injury (for the 3rd year in a row) is Andrew Garcia's (Stonybrook) sister. The kids seem to love the coach. Hopefully next year they can start the process of getting back to some winning Hartford basketball. I do think she will need another one or two recruiting years though to get the type of kids that her style needs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts