Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listening to all the talk about having salary cap room in 2005 just makes me wonder, even if we were lucky enough to land a superstar like T. Mac would we be able to put enough good players with him to be a power in the western conf. Even with T.Mac being as awesome as he is, Orlando is a terrible team. I know being able to start over with a star like that would be great but getting him would mean we didn't have Wallace , Miles ,Davis and most likely alot of other players , hopefully D. Stoudamire :yes:

I know were not going to win a championship with our current team, and having salary cap room is great, I just think were further away from being a title contender than I would like,
a rebuilding plan of Zach and a big free agent whoever it would be doesn't sound terrible I just don't think its all that much better than what we have already, and honestly I'm just not sold on Zach as a franchise player, but he is very young and will probably prove me wrong with time," hopefully"

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I have similar concerns about the future of Portland.

To me no team I can recall has made a successful splash by gearing up for a big FA class. Orlando is the closest and it may have been a big deal had Grant Hill remained healthy. Shag signing in LA I guess was as well, but that was a different CBA situation and far different circumstances to Portland.

I myself am not sold on naming Zach the franchise player as of right now. TO me I haven't seen any kind of leadership from Zach on the floor, which concerns me. In addition until his defense gets better, he is Antawn Jamieson.

Ach absolutely needs to learn to pass out of the double team. He cannot elevate enough to shoot over a double, and is not quik enough to escape it on his own.

I do think though that a start of a core of Zach and Darius is a good start, as I think Darius will reach a higher level of production than he has shown in the NBA so far.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Maybe it's me following the herd mentality, or maybe it's just because I have never liked the "build for cap space" strategy, but I agree with SCBF and others who think we should be looking to ADD talent rather than subtracting it, and at this point that means taking on long-term deals and moving our short-term ones.

By Summer 2005 I want to have a team that's a shoo-in for the playoffs... not one that's going to roll the dice with a couple of big-name FAs.

We need to isolate players who are on long-term deals and will fit in well with ZR (and maybe Miles) and get them. Use Damon, Dale, and Rasheed to get them. If we need to take back equal players with longer deals, make sure we get additional value (draft picks or prospects) and between these long-term guys and the draft, in the short run we should be able to get younger without getting much worse... and in the long run we should be better, even if we never get under the cap.

Ed O.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
if the point is to get cap space for 2005, SCBF has done more than an adequate job in explaining the reasons why it is surely folly.

however, I don't really think that's the master plan in Portland.

the real problem we've had that's a legacy of the 2000 championship window is overpriced talent. we've had a lot of bad, mediocre and good players all making too much money.

being in this position in the current NBA climate puts us at a serious disadvantage in future trades.

sure, we can get SAR, but we have to add Ratliff to make salaries match.

sure, we can get Jamal Crawford, but we have to eat Antonio Davis and Eddie Robinson.

if Dale, Damon and Sheed were being paid reasonable contracts, we could've shipped them out a long time ago for comparable talent. with those salaries so out of whack with what the NBA values them at, most anyone we trade them for will be less talented or have less upside.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!

however, I don't really think that's the master plan in Portland.
I hope you're right.

I sent off a long e-mail to blazerfeedback summarizing my opinions and ideas on the issue. Part of me thinks they'll appreciate the (hopefully) intelligent comments. Part of me thinks they'll wonder, "does this guy seriously believe that he's going to change policy?" But I had to get it all off my chest.

If I get a response - hopefully more than just a "thanks for writing" - I'll let you all know.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>carolinablazerfan</b>!

Thanks for your insight, I totally agree, If I had seen your post earlier I wouldn't have wasted the time posting my concerns
thanks again.
Practice often and train hard and one day you will attain a level of post padding nirvana the rest of us have achived....
:meditate:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.