Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now the Jazz are in a similar circumstance, with a reasonable shot at winning the right to select a player who has earned national acclaim just a couple of miles from the Delta Center. It will likely take about an 8-to-1 jackpot in next month's lottery, but the Jazz could find themselves able to keep Andrew Bogut in Utah.
But should they?
Bogut, who led the University of Utah to a 29-6 record and the Sweet 16 over the winter, already likes the idea, both because he is comfortable in Salt Lake City and he admires the Jazz's organization. "Definitely, it would be a good situation for me," the national player of the year said Friday. "I wouldn't have to get used to a new city or anything like that. . . . [And Jerry] Sloan is the kind of coach I would love to play for."
Utah, however, is virtually certain, by virtue of its last-place season, to own the franchise's highest draft pick since it selected (and traded) Dominique Wilkins with the third pick in 1982. The pressure to secure a cornerstone with that pick is high, certainly more than the need to placate fans with a local hero.
So the opportunity to draft Bogut, should it materialize, will be evaluated in the harsh light of objectivity. "We'll take the player who we feel is best for our future," said Kevin O'Connor, who will make the call at the June 28 draft.
Is that Bogut? The consensus of six talent evaluators contacted last week -- three Western Conference personnel directors, one Eastern Conference general manager and a scout from each conference -- was strongly positive, though not unanimous.
The 7-foot Australian "will be a good fit anywhere he goes because he's a good passer," said one NBA professional, "but especially there. Phil's [Johnson] offense works so well with a high-post big man who can pass. They used to be so effective when Karl Malone could start off at the high post, and they would cut off guys from there. They can't do that much anymore, but Bogut would be very good at it because he can find open guys."
nah. we should trade down and get a PG, tell Okur to toughen up and tone his muscles. I say grab a toughbodied backup center.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yeah, I think they should if they get the chance. I think it's hard to find elite players who want to play in Utah long term, so if they get the chance to grab one, they should.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Deron Williams is the guy. Take your PG for the next 12-13 years.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
No way on Deron, he's a good kid and all but a lottery pick? No way!

My choices:

Bogut
Paul
Marvin
Gerald

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Okur isn't going to toughen up. He has been the same year his whole career (going back to when he played in Turkey). Deron isn't good enough to desire consideration as high as Utah might be picking. If Bogut was open then Utah should take him. Even he if can't play for Utah his trade value would be very high after the draft. Every team seems to be very high on him so far.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why I said trade down. If Deron was only of a few PG's in the draft he'd be top 5 but there's Paul, Jack, Felton, and others.

Even Nate Robinson, Daniel Ewing, or that guy from UTEP may go second round for us.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Nate Robinson is a junior and I haven't heard anyone say he was likely to go pro yet. Daniel Ewing might be a good pick up though.

The guy from UTEP is Filiberto Rivera who played junior college ball at Southeastern Community College.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
DHarris34Phan said:
You guys never should have traded Mo. :biggrin:
I've been saying that since the second we drafted him. Even in limited minutes last year it was clear he was the most talented of the bunch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is a tough one.
If you take Bogut you have drafted a player that you don't know much about. He was in an inferior league and never faced real competition. He did face Duncan for one game but in the NBA he would be doing that on an almost nightly basis. Another deterrant is the fact that one of his best moves is a hook move that no rookie will get away with in the pros.
Granted there are many point guards in the draft this year and the Jazz have more than one first round draft pick. I believe that when Okur says that in the offseason he will hire a trainer and get serious about his physical condition you need to give him a chance. You don't invest that kind of money just to turn around and draft someone that is almost just like Okur.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not that I'm proposing this, but the Jazz could offer the #4 and Boozer to get Bogut at #1.

But then again, is Bogut that high?

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Darkwing Duck said:
Not that I'm proposing this, but the Jazz could offer the #4 and Boozer to get Bogut at #1.

But then again, is Bogut that high?
To Atlanta? maybe. But they have Al Harrington and Josh Smith (also Cris Crawford who was injured this year) and I bet they covet a scoring center like Eddy Curry or Bogut.

Look at NBAdraft.net and they have Atlanta taking Bogut and Utah taking Deron Williams.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
spongyfungy said:
To Atlanta? maybe. But they have Al Harrington and Josh Smith (also Cris Crawford who was injured this year) and I bet they covet a scoring center like Eddy Curry or Bogut.

Look at NBAdraft.net and they have Atlanta taking Bogut and Utah taking Deron Williams.
Atlanta is trying to build a team that will run an up and down style of basketball. For that reason, some people are questioning whether Bogut would be a good fit in that style of offnese. I think he would, simply for his rebounding presence, and his ability to get put backs. Plus, in the clutch, in a half-court offense, he is a great weapon. But it is far from a lock that Atlanta would take him #1 if they were to win the lottery (only 25% chance of happening).

As for Eddy Curry, I'm not a fan. He's dumb, lazy, doesn't block shots, doesn't rebound, and now he has a heart condition. No thank you. Atlanta is rumored to be after Samuel Dalembert, though, as he is an athletic finisher who can rebound, block shots, and run the floor all very well.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eddy can run the floor like a forward and is one of the best finishers in the game. But he does get tired, is lazy sometimes (can block shots when he wants to but he has said he exerts too much energy on both ends of the court and gets exhausted) and definetely can't rebound.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Gerald Green, Bogut, Marvin or Paul if we're within the first 4 picks and Williams/Chris declare for the draft.

That's it. Anyone besides any of them, and the Jazz will make a huge mistake

Reactions: ATLien

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Green would be a big mistake.

The Jazz should take Bogut without question if they get a crack at him which they probably won't because he'll go #1 or at the worst #2....Okur can back him up and back up Booz too. You take the best talent, you don't draft on position, that's ALWAYS a mistake, the Jazz will get a good PG in this draft, they don't need to waste the 1st pick on a lesser talent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts