Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe I'm just crazy here...but woul a Wally World for Alvin Williams and maybe a draft pick or a bench player be a good trade for the Raps....it would give them a 2nd scorer to help out Vince...and if he doesn't work out we can get rid of him next year when his contract expires? with Hunter we don't really need Williams although I am not totally sold on Hunter...but then again the rap's were never sold on Williams at the point either.

I think Minnesota might jump on it, they need point guard help and Wally wants out of Minnestoa give me some feed back.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
I'm a big Alvin Williams fan. I have his jersey. He's my favourite player on the Raptors. I'd also do this trade in a second.

The T'Wolves would never do this IMO. Wally was an all star last year, while Alvin was injured all season long, and we don't know if he'll come back to 2001 playoff form. He's also not the prototype point at all. That said, they don't really need a prototype point guard because Alvin would share the ball with KG. Still, Alvin and a draft pick wouldn't be enough.

For the Raptors it'd be good. We'd get a real second option to Vince, but then again, who would our starting point be? We could let Vince and Hunter split starts at PG depending on matchup I guess, but would Vince really be comfortable starting 30 or so games at PG and 50 or so at SG? Another factor, how can we afford to pay Wally, when we've given Vince and AD 8-digit-per-year contracts? I'm sure he'd demand $7-9 million at least, and Alvin's contract is only $5 million or so. So if these are our *rough* contracts for next season:

Carter: $10 mil.
Davis: $12 mil.
J.Williams: $6 mil.
Olajuwon: $5 mil.
Stewart: $4 mil.
Hunter: $3 mil.
Montross: $2 mil.
Peterson: $1 mil.
N'Diaye: $1 mil.
Bradley: $1 mil.
Huffman: $1 mil.
Jeffries: $.5 mil.
Jackson: $1 mil. (re-signed)
Dial: $.5 mil. (re-signed)
<b>Total: $48 million</b>

I'm pretty sure with the new TV deal secured, in 2003 the salary cap will rise again. So let's say the cap next year would be $44 million. Therefore let's just say the luxury tax will be at $54 million. Knowing the Raptors organization and the crappy teacher's pension thing, which by the way I curse everyday, I don't think they'd want to go over the tax threshold. We re-sign Wally to a <i>modest</i> $40 million/5 year deal, with an player option for the last year of the contract, which I think is fair given I wouldn't offer him the MAX. That evens out to $8 million a year, which let's just say would start at a bit more than $6 million, and it'll probably end at a bit less than $10 million. So add $6 million to that projected $49 million, and the Raptors' salary is at $54 million, with NO EXPIRING CONTRACTS. I think GG would do that, he's already stated he'd go one or two mil over the tax, and that's about borderline - $1 million over the tax right there. And even better, Montross and Stewart's contracts come off the books the next summer, so when Wally's contract is around $7 million, not only will the tax threshold be higher, we lose $6 million in basically worthless salaries, at least. BUT - remember, that Vince gets RAISES, and BIG ONES. I believe the last year of his contract (don't worry not this year), he'll get $15 or $17 million, around that. So let's just say he makes $12 million next summer. All the other raises are smaller and therefore wouldn't make that much of an impact on our team salary. So we've got an estimated total salary of around $52 million, which will probably be $4 million short of the tax. BUT WAIT - we've got MoPete and Mamadou as restricted free agents this year! Scratch $2 million, we're down to $50 mil. We want to keep Mo. A combination of Carter/Peterson/Szczerbiak/Davis would be lethal, to say the LEAST. But all we have is the MLE, for two players! If we let Mo walk we'll be the laughingstock of the league. If we let Mama walk, who by the way I think will have shown just what he can do by then, and he is a quality player by that time, we'll have an extremely depleted front court. AD, Huffman, Bradley, JYD? Come on. So let's say we give Mo the Mid-level exception over 3 years at $15 million, and we ship away N'Diaye for a younger big man, worth say $1 million that year. Our total salary - around $55 million. I'd say about $.5 million away from the tax. 2005 we need to re-sign Bradley. Say we give him a $2.5 million deal, and let's say the tax increases by it's usual $2 million. Also Wally and Vince's raises, about $3 million total. WE ARE $3 MILLION OVER THE CAP IN 2005!!! THEN, in 2006 comes our BIG BREAK!!!! Antonio Davis is OFF THE BOOKS!!! Say we re-sigh him for $5 million. His last year in his contract he gets $13 million!!! That's $8 million saved right there! We re-sign Peterson the next year, and FINALLY have some breathing room!!!

BUT!!!!! I don't think that'll happen. There's no way Minnesota does that Alvin & 1st rounder for Wally deal. HOWEVER, I don't think they could refuse a Morris Peterson and Alvin Williams for Wally trade. Wally isn't THAT good, he's not superstar calibur, but he's an ALL STAR. And he's a STAR. And who knows? Mo Peterson JUST MIGHT become a star!

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>Budweiser_Boy</b>!
I'm a big Alvin Williams fan. I have his jersey. He's my favourite player on the Raptors. I'd also do this trade in a second.

The T'Wolves would never do this IMO. Wally was an all star last year, while Alvin was injured all season long, and we don't know if he'll come back to 2001 playoff form. He's also not the prototype point at all. That said, they don't really need a prototype point guard because Alvin would share the ball with KG. Still, Alvin and a draft pick wouldn't be enough.

For the Raptors it'd be good. We'd get a real second option to Vince, but then again, who would our starting point be? We could let Vince and Hunter split starts at PG depending on matchup I guess, but would Vince really be comfortable starting 30 or so games at PG and 50 or so at SG? Another factor, how can we afford to pay Wally, when we've given Vince and AD 8-digit-per-year contracts? I'm sure he'd demand $7-9 million at least, and Alvin's contract is only $5 million or so. So if these are our *rough* contracts for next season:

Carter: $10 mil.
Davis: $12 mil.
J.Williams: $6 mil.
Olajuwon: $5 mil.
Stewart: $4 mil.
Hunter: $3 mil.
Montross: $2 mil.
Peterson: $1 mil.
N'Diaye: $1 mil.
Bradley: $1 mil.
Huffman: $1 mil.
Jeffries: $.5 mil.
Jackson: $1 mil. (re-signed)
Dial: $.5 mil. (re-signed)
<b>Total: $48 million</b>

I'm pretty sure with the new TV deal secured, in 2003 the salary cap will rise again. So let's say the cap next year would be $44 million. Therefore let's just say the luxury tax will be at $54 million. Knowing the Raptors organization and the crappy teacher's pension thing, which by the way I curse everyday, I don't think they'd want to go over the tax threshold. We re-sign Wally to a <i>modest</i> $40 million/5 year deal, with an player option for the last year of the contract, which I think is fair given I wouldn't offer him the MAX. That evens out to $8 million a year, which let's just say would start at a bit more than $6 million, and it'll probably end at a bit less than $10 million. So add $6 million to that projected $49 million, and the Raptors' salary is at $54 million, with NO EXPIRING CONTRACTS. I think GG would do that, he's already stated he'd go one or two mil over the tax, and that's about borderline - $1 million over the tax right there. And even better, Montross and Stewart's contracts come off the books the next summer, so when Wally's contract is around $7 million, not only will the tax threshold be higher, we lose $6 million in basically worthless salaries, at least. BUT - remember, that Vince gets RAISES, and BIG ONES. I believe the last year of his contract (don't worry not this year), he'll get $15 or $17 million, around that. So let's just say he makes $12 million next summer. All the other raises are smaller and therefore wouldn't make that much of an impact on our team salary. So we've got an estimated total salary of around $52 million, which will probably be $4 million short of the tax. BUT WAIT - we've got MoPete and Mamadou as restricted free agents this year! Scratch $2 million, we're down to $50 mil. We want to keep Mo. A combination of Carter/Peterson/Szczerbiak/Davis would be lethal, to say the LEAST. But all we have is the MLE, for two players! If we let Mo walk we'll be the laughingstock of the league. If we let Mama walk, who by the way I think will have shown just what he can do by then, and he is a quality player by that time, we'll have an extremely depleted front court. AD, Huffman, Bradley, JYD? Come on. So let's say we give Mo the Mid-level exception over 3 years at $15 million, and we ship away N'Diaye for a younger big man, worth say $1 million that year. Our total salary - around $55 million. I'd say about $.5 million away from the tax. 2005 we need to re-sign Bradley. Say we give him a $2.5 million deal, and let's say the tax increases by it's usual $2 million. Also Wally and Vince's raises, about $3 million total. WE ARE $3 MILLION OVER THE CAP IN 2005!!! THEN, in 2006 comes our BIG BREAK!!!! Antonio Davis is OFF THE BOOKS!!! Say we re-sigh him for $5 million. His last year in his contract he gets $13 million!!! That's $8 million saved right there! We re-sign Peterson the next year, and FINALLY have some breathing room!!!

BUT!!!!! I don't think that'll happen. There's no way Minnesota does that Alvin & 1st rounder for Wally deal. HOWEVER, I don't think they could refuse a Morris Peterson and Alvin Williams for Wally trade. Wally isn't THAT good, he's not superstar calibur, but he's an ALL STAR. And he's a STAR. And who knows? Mo Peterson JUST MIGHT become a star!

yeah I'd have to agree with you that Wally for Williams and a 1st isn't enough...but my question is were you saying that Williams and Peterson would be fair or would it be too much in your opinion

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The Raptors will never get Wally does anyone remember the Wally VS Vince feud.

Let me refresh your minds.Last year the T-Wolves are in Toronto and getting killed by the Raps. Vince Carter just made something like 4 shot it a row when while he was running up the court he shouted something like

"You guys know this white kid cant guard me"

Wally was pissed after the game and when interviewd after the game he said something like

"Vince aint great at he's really over-rated"
"Vince is not a team player he just wants his points"

I remember reading the article like last month I'll find it and post it in a sec.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Shadows</b>!
The Raptors will never get Wally does anyone remember the Wally VS Vince feud.

Let me refresh your minds.Last year the T-Wolves are in Toronto and getting killed by the Raps. Vince Carter just made something like 4 shot it a row when while he was running up the court he shouted something like

"You guys know this white kid cant guard me"

Wally was pissed after the game and when interviewd after the game he said something like

"Vince aint great at he's really over-rated"
"Vince is not a team player he just wants his points"

I remember reading the article like last month I'll find it and post it in a sec.
Yeah, I remember that. I don't think him and Vince will ever be on the same team. Wally's D got put to shame that night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts