Votes: 18 94.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few games and weeks have now passed by... in both cases.. so I ask you all...

Would you do this trade?

Portland trades Bonzi Wells + Jeff McInnis + Ruben Boomtje

Portland receives Darius Miles + Wesley Peson + Memphis conditional 1st round pick

I was just reflecting on it a bit differently since it was rumored to be of interest for a Bonzi for Darius trade earlier in the year.

So then we add in a JMac + Ruben for Wes and a draft pick... and we get the above consolidated trade with a twist.. shaken not stirred :D

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Both trades seem to be panning out for the Blazers so far. I think that the Miles trade was better right now, but if the Memphis Griz start loosing then Portland wins all the way around!

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Nash = Murderer of Blazers

20 playoff straight ends because of him.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ballscientist</b>!
Nash = Murderer of Blazers

20 playoff straight ends because of him.
post of the decade.

:rolleyes: :nonono:

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I voted "no". Bonzi's easily the best player involved, and assuming Portland's going to re-sign Miles they don't end up getting any cap savings from the deal.

The way the Grizzlies are going, the first rounder isn't going to be of much value, and McInnis would make this a better team than Cook + Gill would.

I like the Miles deal on its own, but the Wells deal was so bad that it doesn't add up for a gain for Portland.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Bonzi's easily the best player involved
Whether or not I agree with that depends on what you concatenated out of there.

"Bonzi was easily the best player involved" -- that I agree with

"Bonzi is easily the best player involved" -- that I disagree with

One could easily argue that Darius, Person, and JMac are all enjoying seasons as good or better than Bonzi. This may be a blip on the map for an otherwise very solid career, but I think Bonzi has lost something and is unlikely to get back to being the player he was a couple years ago. Sort of like Detlef when he became a Blazer. Once it's gone, it's gone...

Dan

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!

Whether or not I agree with that depends on what you concatenated out of there.

"Bonzi was easily the best player involved" -- that I agree with

"Bonzi is easily the best player involved" -- that I disagree with
Have you watched Bonzi play much for the Grizzlies? He's the second-best player on that team. Brown rotates guys so often that none of them get big stats, but Bonzi's their second-leading scorer and a guy they count on down the stretch of almost every game.

One could easily argue that Darius, Person, and JMac are all enjoying seasons as good or better than Bonzi.
One could easily argue that world is flat, too, but that doesn't mean the argument would be correct :)

This may be a blip on the map for an otherwise very solid career, but I think Bonzi has lost something and is unlikely to get back to being the player he was a couple years ago. Sort of like Detlef when he became a Blazer. Once it's gone, it's gone...
Comparing a 27 year old Bonzi Wells to a 37 year old Detlef Schrempf is a bit of a stretch...

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Ah yes, I figured you would discount the comparison on the basis of age. Age is a factor, of course, but it's far from the most important one. What matters is diminshed skill set and style of play. Bonzi seems to be suffering in that department.

As for Bonzi's contribution to the Grizzlies, I would label it up and down. Not bad, but certainly not great. They're a team of a lot of interchangeable, slightly above average parts, so no one really stands out.

I would think Bonzi is #3 to Gasol and Posey at this point, and probably not much ahead of Swift.

Ed, you have to admit, you're just slightly biased in favor of Bonzi.

Dan

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
I voted "no". Bonzi's easily the best player involved, and assuming Portland's going to re-sign Miles they don't end up getting any cap savings from the deal.
You're deluded, Ed.

i.e., a case could always be made for J. R. Rider, as well.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!
Ah yes, I figured you would discount the comparison on the basis of age. Age is a factor, of course, but it's far from the most important one. What matters is diminshed skill set and style of play. Bonzi seems to be suffering in that department.
I disagree with all of that. Players rarely change their style of play without prompting, but every player ages and slows down.

Bonzi's just entering his prime. Players rarely get significantly worse at age 27 than they were at 26. So far this year, he's been significantly worse (or, rather, he was significantly worse with the Blazers, and is just "worse" with the Grizzlies) than he has been previously. I see this as a blip rather than as a trend, and I think common sense supports that view.

As for Bonzi's contribution to the Grizzlies, I would label it up and down. Not bad, but certainly not great. They're a team of a lot of interchangeable, slightly above average parts, so no one really stands out.
I pretty much agree with all of this... except I think that several of the pieces are signficantly better than slightly above average.

I would think Bonzi is #3 to Gasol and Posey at this point, and probably not much ahead of Swift.
Well, it might be a case of taste, but Bonzi's been better than Posey in most of the games I've seen. Posey gets more minutes, though, so that helps his stats but also is indicative that Brown likes having him out there.

Ed, you have to admit, you're just slightly biased in favor of Bonzi.
I think that I'm perceived as such. I don't really know why I would be biased... I watch him play more than almost anyone else does, and I follow his stats more closely than many others do, but that's the case with most of the players in the NBA.

I don't think it takes any sort of pro-Bonzi bias to say he's been significantly better, even on a down year, than Person, Miles and McInnis have been this year.

Ed O.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Understanding the context....

A Bonzi Wells (who is at odds with the coach) + Jeff McInnis trade for

Darius Miles + Wesley Person + Memphis' pick

I'd vote yes.

I hope we all realize that the time to evaluate this trade is 3-4 years down the line, when it's time for the franchise to decide whether or not to extend the player that Portland gets with the draft pick, though.

But right now, yeah I'd reluctantly make it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I voted Yes.

Why?

Bonzi , though a good player was a chemestry killer imo. Bonzi's strongpoint was his post game, and with the emergence of Zach Randolph , Bonzi was redundant imo.

We get a player with a lot of potential in Darius Miles, an expiring contract in Person and a mid 1st round pick (which we could use to package with our own to move up?)

Ruben Boumtje did nothing for us, Jeff McInnis was solid..but I would do this trade in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Players rarely change their style of play without prompting
Bonzi was most effective as a banger and a slasher. Now he fancies himself more of a spot-up shooter. That goes back to at least last year, which I might add saw him playing mostly SF on a team with not much inside scoring presence due to Sheed and Sabas favoring the perimeter. I doubt that shift in Bonzi's style was due to prompting as much as to injury (knee) and lack of recognition of his strengths.

Bonzi's just entering his prime.
By age, sure, but like I said, age is only one of many factors. Some players age much more quickly than others (Larry Johnson), while others age quite gracefully (Karl Malone). Hardly the most important.

As an aside, that's partly related to why I always speak against relying on the "potential" of young players. Until it materializes, it is about as meaningless as pipe dreams come...

I see this as a blip rather than as a trend
We obviously have no way of knowing that one way or the other at this point. I see last year as the start of the trend and this year as the continuation, which brings me to a different conclusion than yours. To each his own.

Dan

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hell yeah its a good trade I love watching Miles he's a sweet player with the right attitude.

Bonzi already has his best years behind him. He has never been a good shooter and that is really more what we need from a SG. Bonzi's strength was his post game and his athleticism. When you have good post players like portland has there is no use for a post up SG to be out on the floor.

Bonzi had a bad attitude that wasn't good for the team or the fans so its good hes gone.

Plus we got a draft pick its hard to tell what will happen with that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.